Diff between dual-purpose MZ's and Traveller?

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Diff between dual-purpose MZ's and Traveller?

Postby Uberkraut » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:21 pm

I want a MZ bad.

I think they are unique and still German. I'm debating on a dual-purpose or a Traveller. Since there aren't any dealer near me, I need as much info as possible.

Could a Yamaha dealer service it?
Do they ride comparable?
I assume a Traveller would handle better?
What's the biggest differences?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Uberkraut

MZ, I;m local and know all the questions, because i asked

Postby raceitb22 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:09 pm

Dear Uberkraut,
Well, Yes Shipps Yamaha will do your oil changes and most of the motor and tranny work. But you can only deal with Jim.

I own an MZ baghira, I drove to Detroit to pick it up, I love the bike but I have a child due in 2 months, Your welcome to look at it. Its stored inside, been in the rain once because its summer and its Cincinnati and you will get caught.

this bike handles just if not better than a GSXR 1000 up to certain speeds. It just had its first oil change 300+ miles ago, It screams ride me everychance you get. the highway is easy but windy(its the highway). It needs more storage but with the adjustable suspension its comfortable, I would get a custom seat.

to answer more of your question, What do you want to do more, day rides or cross country rides. Tuaratech(spelled wrong) offers side cases that are quite large. The company I bought the bike off of owner has an MZ Baghira and he rides hundreds of miles into northern Michigan without any problems and he hauls all of his gear.

You can email me at rushb22@yahoo.com

Brian
Brian Rush
raceitb22

Postby Uberkraut » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:28 pm

Brian, I'll be in touch.

Keep the info coming!
Uberkraut

heres more info

Postby raceitb22 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:23 pm

So far I have 1300 miles, I only ride once a week to work know, time is limited for me to enjoy this sport. I have an M4 exhaust, Its only loud once you hit the power ban, I bought a jet kit but im selling it with the bike uninstalled. I bought the bike with the pipe, I have the stock exhaust and it shines like its never been used. I have corrected all the little issues that every piece of motor equipment develops. I have the parts manuals, owners manuals, tech sheets you could ever want, MZ service in Florida emailed me and as far as Customer support, there on the ball. I have a special offer that comes with the bike, but the sooner you email me the better, besides your local and that makes this alot easier.
Brian Rush
raceitb22

Postby Uberkraut » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:36 am

Can anyone else help me with the major differences?
Uberkraut

Postby witttom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:04 am

I'm a little confused by this thread... is there a bike forsale?
Last edited by witttom on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Witt
78 Suzuki GS750 Cafe Racer
86 Honda Elite 250
98 MZ Baghira 660
99 Triumph Trophy 1200
01 MZ Skorpion 660 Traveller (Sold)
02 MZ 125SM StreetMoto (Sold)
02 Triumph Speed Four
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
witttom

Postby raceitb22 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:01 pm

Is my bike for sale yes, but because UberKraut wants to know the diference between a Dual/ Traveller why not show the Dual first, I am unaware of any Travellers(scorpions) for sale around Here(Cincy/Nky) show him one side. why is this a problem.
Brian Rush
raceitb22

Postby witttom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:25 pm

raceitb22 wrote:Is my bike for sale yes, but because UberKraut wants to know the diference between a Dual/ Traveller why not show the Dual first, I am unaware of any Travellers(scorpions) for sale around Here(Cincy/Nky) show him one side. why is this a problem.

Didn't say it was a problem. Was just curious about the bike for sale.

I traded my Skorpion Traveller off to the MZ dealer just outside of Louisville KY in Corydon, IN. He was planning on displaying it. Probably still there.
Tom Witt
86 Honda Elite 250
98 MZ Baghira 660
99 Triumph Trophy 1200
02 Triumph Speed Four
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
witttom

Postby raceitb22 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:42 am

Just wondering, On some forums if your are not topic specfic they get upset. To get away from that.

I almost bought your bike, I had already committed to buying the baghira in Detroit when I found out about the dealer where you are speaking of. He seems pretty friendly. when I bought, I was looking for more of a dual sport, Hence why I am selling, very lazily though. I am looking for a more street oriented bike. I dont know if you know of any trails or even motard racing locally.
Brian Rush
raceitb22

Postby witttom » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:00 am

raceitb22 wrote:Just wondering, On some forums if your are not topic specfic they get upset. To get away from that.

I almost bought your bike, I had already committed to buying the baghira in Detroit when I found out about the dealer where you are speaking of. He seems pretty friendly. when I bought, I was looking for more of a dual sport, Hence why I am selling, very lazily though. I am looking for a more street oriented bike. I dont know if you know of any trails or even motard racing locally.

Who says you can't take a Skorpion off road? Hehe...

Circleville Race Park (CRP) just South of Columbus Ohio, has a shifter cart oriented race track. The OYL (Ohio YSR Race League) races there and the MZ 125SM, based on their rulebook, fits into a few different classes. I've not races my SM though, as I am enjoying it on the street too much. The OYL is not the only roadrace organization that races there though, as I know several riders who race "Bigger" motards there periodically, using a portion of the track that is dirt (the OYL doesn't use the dirt portion). I would suspect that the 660-class SuperMotards would be TOO big though, but I dunno.

The Skorpion Traveller you saw in Corydon, was it the dark red color scheme? 2001 model? As in, the one shown above? Yes, that dealer is a really nice guy and my dealings with him were quite pleasant.
Tom Witt
86 Honda Elite 250
98 MZ Baghira 660
99 Triumph Trophy 1200
02 Triumph Speed Four
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
witttom

Postby raceitb22 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:09 am

Thats pretty cool, weather not to mention. What tire/wheel did you use.
Brian Rush
raceitb22

Postby witttom » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:13 am

raceitb22 wrote:Thats pretty cool, weather not to mention. What tire/wheel did you use.

Stock wheels. Street tires. Metzeler MEZ3 front, Avon Azaro AV46 rear. It's all about balance and throttle control! Hehe... that photo was taken by a friend during a Dual-Sport ride in SE Indiana on January 1 of this year (which is why you see snow).
Tom Witt
86 Honda Elite 250
98 MZ Baghira 660
99 Triumph Trophy 1200
02 Triumph Speed Four
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
witttom

Postby Uberkraut » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:26 pm

Why are Traveller's not for sale ever?
Uberkraut

Postby witttom » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:58 pm

Uberkraut wrote:Why are Traveller's not for sale ever?

They pop up occasionally, but like ALL MZ's... the production numbers are just not that high compared to other brands, so there aren't as many floating around in the used market. I've seen a half-a-dozen or so Travellers listed on eBay over the last year. Of course, none of them where in the SW Ohio area. :roll:

The Traveller is a very capable and versitile bike, but I would not consider it a long-range touring bike. It is extremely reliable, lightweight, and an exceptionally good handling bike, but I certainly would not want to do an iron butt on one (not that it can't be done, but I wouldn't enjoy it! Hehe). The standard 30L panniers offer minimal storage space as well. I would love to own another myself some day.
Tom Witt
86 Honda Elite 250
98 MZ Baghira 660
99 Triumph Trophy 1200
02 Triumph Speed Four
05 Yamaha Grizzly 660
witttom

Postby Uberkraut » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:39 pm

witttom wrote: Of course, none of them where in the SW Ohio area. :roll:

The Traveller is a very capable and versitile bike, but I would not consider it a long-range touring bike. It is extremely reliable, lightweight, and an exceptionally good handling bike, but I certainly would not want to do an iron butt on one (not that it can't be done, but I wouldn't enjoy it! Hehe).

It prolly doesn't help that we don't have a dealer either...(MZNA never got back with me on that either)

I was looking at the Traveller because, I would do daytrips, or weekend trips. I'm not into a long haul. I want something that's quick enough to keep up with a Katana but, as comfortable as a tourer. Agreed! I wouldn't want to do a Iron Butt on one either!
Uberkraut

Next

Return to Main Lobby