Anyone know anything about coils???

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Re: Anyone know anything about coils???

Postby dave47 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:08 am

Heres more German practice for Jawa.
Although from a Rieju it probably also applies to the unit referenced above by Mr Luke as they all seem to use the same one, but usually in black, which might be the safest buy. Apparently there were different ones for different export markets, eg some with rev limiting to 10,000 rpm - obviously not a consideration here!
Only the first and last columns are relevant. It looks as if the advance curve is almost flat, and only slightly retarded from the reference setting.

_20210505_164436.JPG
dave47

Postby Gerryman Ts125 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:39 am

That's why I put my Mz in its dungeon, at my old (the landlord owned the property until its sale in 2018) flat.
And since driving my Mz saved me plenty.
I bought a seized 1984 Kawasaki Ar 125 Lc then de-restricked it (got most of the parts from breakers) Had a whole lot of fun on that too. But two up, it whizzed along, seldom broke down. It handled, braked, started first kick (but never kicked my left knee into the handlebars like the Mz did when the points wore :idea:) But the Mz when new in August 1986 was a quarter of the cost of a Ar 125 or a Yamaha Rd 125lc then. :-D Youth is wasted on the young. I know.
`I stink therefore I have a old bikers jacket that`s alive`
Gerryman Ts125

Postby Gerryman Ts125 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:13 pm

So hope this forlorn biker gets his Mz Ts150 going yet again. They can be a massive headache when they breakdown. With a old 6v system dynamo and mechanical contacts, that will be quite often as the miles stack up (or the battery goes flat, it rains, or normally both) They may look fantastically retro (if you can't afford a Euro/UK built bike of the forties, fifties or sixties. The jury is still out on the pre 1987 Ts 125, 150, 250 et al.They do look ace though. And a modern repeat prescription of a practical classic. That's why some folks like them, warts and all so to speak. :) That's why I do, so any modern improvement to them, gets my vote.
`I stink therefore I have a old bikers jacket that`s alive`
Gerryman Ts125

Postby Puffs » Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 am

I don't think it has anything to do with 'being able to afford' sir. It's just a choice, and like each choice it comes with advantages & disadvantages. And, in fact, my MZ still runs on the original points & electrics, and it works flawless, and has done so for many thousands of miles. Indeed, an old bike needs some maintaining, but maybe old UK bikes need more TLC than an MZ? I wouldn't know. I do know that old Japanese bikes also need attention.

I've been thinking about getting an older bike, but what's holding me back is the performance associated with older bikes. In terms of handling, power, but also the maintenance effort. Maybe an MZ isn't such a bad choice? But if you go earlier than the 70's it all gets a bit too agricultural. Imo.

Ah well, we'll see.
Puffs

Previous

Return to Main Lobby