Newbie w. a couple of questions - 95 SilverStar

This is the forum for general motorcycle talk.
Introduce your self here, tell us about your bike and maybe find other enthusiasts to ride with.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, 125SMash, phlat65

Newbie w. a couple of questions - 95 SilverStar

Postby comanche91 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi all;

Just picked up a 95 SilverStar Classic w. about 5K kilos on the clock. Always wanted a Rotax. :D Cosmetically it's very nice, but would not start, and had been setting for about a year. I found the problem was in the fuse block under the battery cover; one of the wires from the OFF/RUN switch was disconnected from the 3A fuse due to corrosion. Put on new terminals for all on the fuse block and it turned over once and started right up. Ran around the block, it shifts and runs fine and all the electrics work. Now I've got to change out all the nasty fluids.

I realize original parts for MZ's are going to be hard to come by, but I do need the two front turn signals (the rubber stalks are broken and lenses cracked, and they look just like the rear tirn signals). Were there any other bikes that used these as a suitable swap, or what's a good aftermarket brand? Also the pipe has some surface rust where the muffler connects; any recommendations for replacements? The muffler doesn't look origonal, but the newbie here may be wrong. Pics below. Thanks, glad I found this forum and and am happy to be a new MZ owner. -Don

deleted photos linked to photo bucket after they died
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Re: Newbie w. a couple of questions - 95 SilverStar

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 pm

pipe is not stock as far as i know some one in europe or the uk may know who has them
oilfilter is k and n or hiflo 151 same as rt125

oil change is here (oil change time is also good time to adjust chain )
viewtopic.php?t=865

always kill bike with compression release then turn off key to save ware on starter sprage
i think air box is same as my saxon tour air filter is same as the bmw chopper montak i think
with an adapter plate details of adaptor on request

engine parts www.rotax.net

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby comanche91 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:46 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:pipe is not stock as far as i know some one in europe or the uk may know who has them
oilfilter is k and n or hiflo 151 same as rt125

oil change is here (oil change time is also good time to adjust chain )
viewtopic.php?t=865

always kill bike with compression release then turn off key to save ware on starter sprage
i think air box is same as my saxon tour air filter is same as the bmw chopper montak i think
with an adapter plate details of adaptor on request

engine parts http://www.rotax.net dave

Thanks very much for the reply Dave. Great info. The bike came with a complete 2003 Ron Wood Rotax 504-604 Shop Manual, the original owners manual, so I'm busy digesting the contained info. Yes, first order of business is changing the fluids and filters, checking all adjustments, and seeing where it goes from there. And thanks for the kill bike tip. Have had a few 4-stroke thumpers in the past (BSA 441's and several Honda XR's) but I'm really liking the MZ Rotax very much so far. "Air filter is same as the bmw chopper montak i think with an adapter plate details of adaptor on request". The nasty air filter looks like the original, so I'm requesting a how-to. :-D

Amazing this thing started and ran well after sitting for about a year, or maybe more. The gas smells like old varnish, and I'm sure the carb needle is gummed up as it leaks out the overflow w. the petcock on for a short period of time. But so far I'm really enthused; looks like nothing major is required to restore the 500 except for some long neglected PM. Any suggestions on the turn signal lights? Oh, and from looking at other SilverStars on the web, it looks like the horizontal enclosed chain pieces are missing on my bike? Thanks again, -Don
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:16 pm

the filter adapter is made from planters can (wife is an avid planters peanut fan so lots of cans here..)

see pictures
click to see site crops them and there a bit dark till showing full size
read picture labels
better view just down load and use a photo viewer

dave
ROTAX AIR AIR AIR AIR
Attachments
S4020531.JPG
cut a hole in bottom of peanut can i think it was 88mm i used a 3jaw chuck on my lathe
S4020531.JPG (360.13 KiB) Viewed 30233 times
S4020533.JPG
apply the can bottom lip edge down so it stays in place
S4020533.JPG (373.02 KiB) Viewed 30233 times
S4020534.JPG
add the factory ori holder and install filter
S4020534.JPG (375.27 KiB) Viewed 30233 times
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby comanche91 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks David. Changed out the battery today and the airbox had a huge K&N filter stuffed into the airbox that was taller than the center screw, not anchored down, basically useless. Ordered a new K&N and made the plate similar to yours to secure it. I also found the seat wasn't secured into the two front clips and was held on by only one bolt in the back. Found a few skinned wires under the seat too. But it's getting there............. :D
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:38 pm

some times there a mess but as rare as they are there worth the effort to make right--
i some times do not make people happy by the way i fix things but at least
i am not of the little hammer. bigger hammer , sledge hammer school of repair
i also am not into hopping up motors if you want to go faster just buy a bigger bike
most bike brands now make bikes that go so fast that
adding wings would make it a good ww2 fighter plane
just spend money they need it
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby comanche91 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:some times there a mess but as rare as they are there worth the effort to make right--
i some times do not make people happy by the way i fix things but at least
i am not of the little hammer. bigger hammer , sledge hammer school of repair
i also am not into hopping up motors if you want to go faster just buy a bigger bike
most bike brands now make bikes that go so fast that
adding wings would make it a good ww2 fighter plane
just spend money they need it dave

Totally agree. Did the go fast thing in my younger days, done now. :-) Mz, MuZ, has had a long history as one of the world's premier bike builders, and it's a dayem shame they are in such bad shape now, basdically non-existent. The Rotax and the classic good looking lines of the SilverStar is a great marriage; a fairly modern bike that retains classic good looks with a super reliable power train. I hate having stuff everyone else has. Even my truck is a Jeep Comanche I've completely restored; the last Comanche rolled off the line in 1992. Glad I found this forum and am looking forward to getting this bike right and keeping it as original as possible, even though the MZ specific body parts are so hard to find.

But, I did find a vendor in Miami who claims to have lots of NOS SilverStar and Saxon parts, and will be calling him tomorrow to see what's up. I suspect he's an immigrated Cuban who has had MZ experience back on the island. We'll see....................
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Postby comanche91 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:44 pm

Well, I have a problem w. the new Silver Star. I can start, idle, and run about a block or two, then it's starts sputtering, slight back fire, and engine stalls like it's out of fuel. Starts back up just fine, but as soon as you bring the RPMs up, put it in gear, it sputters and stalls again. I can half choke it, and barely make it home still sputtering, like I'm low or out of gas. Things I've done so far that have not corrected the problem or made it worse:

1. Disco the fuel line at the carb, drain the gas tank and refill w. fresh fuel. No help.
2. Disconnect the fuel line from petcock and test fuel flow, all okay.
3. Remove float bowl from the carb, looked clean, test the off/on fuel flow while moving the floats, level and flow both okay.
4. Remove carb, remove needle valve, idle and main jets. Carb looked very clean, no obstructions, cleaned all passages w. carb cleaner and compressed air. Did not remove the top cover to look at the diaphram yet.

According to the PO, the bike has been sitting for quite some time, but it starts instantly and idles fine. The tank shows some interior rust, not bad, while looking in the fuel cap. I have not removed the tank yet or tried to clean it out. I see no separate vent lines for the fuel tank, so am assuming the tank is vented thru the gas cap, not sure. I know of no way to test the cap venting except by replacement. I'm thinking it may be the tank is not venting, and causing a vapor lock. So I'm very stumped here. Can it be anything except a fuel problem? It runs great for short trips, but I really need to travel farther than two blocks or so. I guess the next step is to pull the tank, remove the petcock, and try to flush as best as possible. Really need some advice now as I out of ideas - thanks guys. If I should have posted this in the tech section, sorry if I screwed up.
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Postby comanche91 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Well, in case anyone's interested, got it fixed. Pulled the tank, drained/flushed/cleaned/refueled it, replaced the fuel line, installed a new clear inline filter, and all is well. After limping along for five minutes or so burning off the remaining bad fuel, she's running fine. Definately a keeper now. :D
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:24 am

my saxon tour has a plastic tank
bad fuel and a kink in the fuel line have been the problems
i also use plug dpr8ea-9 requires thin wall 18mm socket to install
but in my case made bike run much better also makes bmw f650 run better
mine had d9ea plug when i got it
dave
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby MZCountryRider » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:09 pm

comanche91 wrote:Hi all;

I realize original parts for MZ's are going to be hard to come by, but I do need the two front turn signals (the rubber stalks are broken and lenses cracked, and they look just like the rear tirn signals). Were there any other bikes that used these as a suitable swap, or what's a good aftermarket brand? Also the pipe has some surface rust where the muffler connects; any recommendations for replacements? The muffler doesn't look origonal, but the newbie here may be wrong. Pics below. Thanks, glad I found this forum and and am happy to be a new MZ owner. -Don

Signals appear to be the same as a Moto Guzzi EV:
Guzzi front: (right) http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=130 , (left) http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=131
Guzzi rears: (left) http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=1234 , (right) http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=1235

Muffler looks like a stock Harley-Davidson part - lots of them laying around since they get replaced with "loud pipes" before the bike even leaves the dealership!
Charlie
'69 Guzzi Ambassador
'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'72 Benelli 175 Enduro
'73 Guzzi Eldorado
'76 Guzzi I-Convert
'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada
'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah
'82 Moto Guzzi V50 III
'97 MuZ Skorpion Tour

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com/
MZCountryRider

Postby comanche91 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:04 pm

MZCountryRider wrote:Signals appear to be the same as a Moto Guzzi EV:

Muffler looks like a stock Harley-Davidson part - lots of them laying around since they get replaced with "loud pipes" before the bike even leaves the dealership!

The front and rear signals are the same on this bike, 6" in length from the mounting flange to the lens outer edge. Sorry for only the side views; you could not tell from my pics. It looks like the Guzzi signals are shorter in length than that, and I like them better. Thanks for the link.

Muffler - no idea. The pipe is stock I've since found out. The bike is fairly quiet though, and the muffler outlet has no restrictor plate like the original SilverStar muffler. But it looks like the pipe was trimmed then the muffler welded on so it would align with the OEM muffler mounting tab. It's obviously much shorter than the original muffler.
-Don
1-3/4 1995 Silver Stars
comanche91

Return to Main Lobby