Excessive mechanical noise ?

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Excessive mechanical noise ?

Postby cam » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi guys.

I'm the proud owner of an 04 1000s (thanks zedhead :D ) I'm wondering if anyone has experienced excessive mechanical noise with their bike. It's not too noticeable on first fire up but when warm its definitely there. Our suspicions are that the cam chain tensioner is not performing well with hot oil. Any thoughts guys?
cam

Re: Excessive mechanical noise ?

Postby LWS66 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:48 pm

It's hard to say. Your "excessive" may be perfectly normal, or it may well be on the excessive side. Mine sounds like an engine, not a sewing machine, but also not as mechanically clanky as an old 74 iron head Harley Sportster, an 95 Speed Triple or an old 79 Bonneville or as clanky as a 99 Laverda Strike (a few of the bikes I've had in the past that all were noisy to some degree) Mine sounds no different today than it did when I bought it new, and its at 24,000+ miles, uses no oil, runs like a top, no metal (or other) particles in the oil filters or magnetic plug, certainly not a concern to me......But you might want to search the German MZ 1000S forum and see if there is anything about it over there perhaps. :-)
LWS66

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:38 pm

if you are used to a bike with no faring then one with a faring will have a lot of noise

my rt125 was quiet till i put a faring on it now it is a bit loud with the funny sounds

and check to see if you are running the proper oil
i use shell rotella T in the recommend weight in the rt125 and saxon tour
and the tour got a lot quieter when i changed to rotella T

ar dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby cam » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks for the reply guys. I am using fully Silkolene synthetic 10/40 oil . I can definitely hear camchain noise and some noise from the valve gear. I have recently acquired the bike and it has just over 3000 miles on the clock. Am I being paranoid or are these engines a bit rattly? I don't want to ignore a potential problem and have nothing to gauge it on as I've never heard another 1000s running.
cam

Postby LWS66 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:49 pm

"I" would say that your being a little paranoid. :? I'm in the states and I've heard two other 1000S's running. One new one at a dealer, and one that was at a track day (seemed to be a dedicated track weapon, by the way) and along with mine, yes there is some "clatter". I would'nt worry about it. From all that I've read, this is'nt an area of concern on these bikes. Sure would be nice if other 1000 owners would chime in here to help calm your concerns :smt006
LWS66

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:18 am

Hello everyone,

I've done 11K miles in two seasons on my MZ 1000 S (I only use it in spring/summer, she doesn't deserve the crappy winter weather) and I've always been a bit unimpressed by the engine noise. It has always sounded like there is something mildly loose somewhere, a bit like spinning a carpet rug in a washing machine with mild overtones of a rattling shaving razor. Despite this, I havent' had any problems so far with distribution/cams or general engine reliability (other parts have not been so good).
It's very difficult to say whether the engine noise you hear is excessive or not, but this engine has defintely got a very personal voice, so it might give the impression that something is wrong, especially when compared to a smooth Japanese four. Hope this helps,

Ride Safe.
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby m4panther » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 am

I know what you're talking about I remember being a little paranoid also....I can't hear your bike so I wouldn't be able to dismiss what you're thinking. I have to get mine started; been riding the Baghira since it won't start, but I need to put some time into it or take it some place. I would like to know if anyone can give me advice in eliminating the starter safety interlocks I think that's my problem.
If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

Postby cam » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks for your input guys - I feel a lot happier now I know its likely to be a characteristic and not a fault. Now I can stop flapping and get on with enjoying it :D
cam

Postby boilermaker » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:59 pm

cam
Where do you live?
boilermaker

Return to 1000S