Pencil Coi;ls

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Pencil Coi;ls

Postby GED » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:17 pm

right this is what the machanic said,its fixed,theres 2 wires behind the front sprocket,they looked ok and were not broke and the fault diagnostics didnt pick up a problem ,but when we had a look cleaned the connector the bike fired up,

at this moment in time im still looking for a short length of rope :twisted:

600 quid total price for a dodgy wire and i need a courier to get the bike of grahams premises pronto,

so please add this to your diarys i could save u all a lot of money and heartache
GED

Postby GED » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:27 pm

GED wrote:right this is what the machanic said,its fixed,theres 2 wires behind the front sprocket,they looked ok and were not broke and the fault diagnostics didnt pick up a problem ,but when we had a look cleaned the connector the bike fired up,

at this moment in time im still looking for a short length of rope :twisted:

600 quid total price for a dodgy wire and i need a courier to get the bike of grahams premises pronto,

so please add this to your diarys i could save u all a lot of money and heartache
theres a pic of the wires p156 in the owners manual ,i recommend remove the plasic cover clean all the crap of ,from around sprocket and wires and give it a squirt of wd40 or silicone grease on a regularish interval,will do mine once a month from now on, ;-)
GED

Postby boilermaker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 am

Ged
All credit to Graham for the final diagnosis of an obscure fault, but the function of theses wires?
boilermaker

Postby GED » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:55 pm

boilermaker wrote:Ged
All credit to Graham for the final diagnosis of an obscure fault, but the function of theses wires?

mmmmm think one set of wires is oil warning ,the other set have not got a clue other than they stop the bike from firing up,sorry i cant be any more help
GED

Postby boilermaker » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:36 am

Ged
So yet another "safety" interlock strikes! Thanks for the info.
boilermaker

Postby GED » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:48 am

boilermaker wrote:Ged
So yet another "safety" interlock strikes! Thanks for the info.

no prob george just want me mz back ,intrigued as to where these wires come from and go,want to make sure the problem does not arise again,either further up or down the line [wire] if u know what i mean oil pressure/temp/level crank position ,but at least now its a known issue and no one else will have to go through the head scratching and expense i did
GED

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Just looked at the wires in question. Is it the three that go into the sealed rubber bung? I also took out and cleaned the earth wire which sits directly behind these wires and gave it a dose of acf.
Meant to take apic?
tomtom

Postby GED » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:28 pm

tomtom wrote:Just looked at the wires in question. Is it the three that go into the sealed rubber bung? I also took out and cleaned the earth wire which sits directly behind these wires and gave it a dose of acf.
Meant to take apic?
dont know which ones mate ,just got told a couple of wires behind the sprocket ,i will phone graham on monday ,just to double check
GED

Postby tomtom » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:48 pm

purchased three triumph 675 coils for just over £30 off a low mileage bike.
The coils are the same length as the mz ones, but the connector pins are different. I'm going to trace the coil wire back about a foot or so and put in a superseal connector so that i can either have a connector for the original coil or the triumph ones.
The original coil is sealed with an o ring in the head whilst the triumph has the standard ribbed silicone rubber sleeve. This sleeve needs to be pushed down the coil on the 675 coils and sealed with some heat resistant silicone so that it is fully sealed so that when its in the head it is sealing at the right height. If its too slack an o ring will be needed as per the original on the bike.
Obviously i've not tried firing up yet but if i get the chance i'll try and splice the wires
The ribbed lower "gaiter" on the original mz coil can probably be swapped onto the triumph one as they just pull off. Normally on bikes, these seals are at the top of the head not low down so that you get a pocket of water sitting above the seal as on the mz. No wonder there was moisture on the coil when i removed it.

the mz coil details stamped on top are as follows
21598394-3
JCI Now this is a diverse coil which was originally made by Sagem, which was taken over from Johson Controls International (JCI) which has now been engulfed by Valeo!!!PBTP-GF20 which equates to a sagem coil as used on a 2001 aprillia futura
try this link
http://motardsardechois.free.fr/Page%20Futura%20Technique/RST%20electricite/bobine%20allumage.pdf
for car replacement coils its in french with a english forum at the end but it appears you take the plastic housing off the car coil to get the bike coil pbtp-gf20 . Plenty of pics , worth a look as someone else has done the donkey work for us.
Attachments
DSC01635.JPG
bottom coil 675 top original mz
DSC01635.JPG (63.6 KiB) Viewed 47009 times
Last edited by tomtom on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tomtom

Postby boilermaker » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:02 pm

tom
Thanks for the info
boilermaker

Postby tomtom » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Last edited by tomtom on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
tomtom

Postby boilermaker » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:19 am

Tom
Useful info, very well researched.
Thank you.
boilermaker

Postby iceman » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:00 am

The link doesn't work,Thanks now I can just pull one off the Futura if one fails in the MZ. :D
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...highlight=coil
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby tomtom » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:50 am

Last edited by tomtom on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
tomtom

Postby boilermaker » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:58 pm

To all
More info re pencil coils. A contact tells me that the Denso coils fitted to the Ducati Monster S4 are the business. Contacted our nearest Duke dealer and he started talking telephone numbers as you would expect. Can any bright spark out there run down the Denso part number so as we can add another possible to our list of replacements.
boilermaker

PreviousNext

Return to 1000S