Any US owners of the 1000S's?

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Any US owners of the 1000S's?

Postby ABN2nds » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Any MZ 1000S owners in the US who can tell me how their bikes are doing?
ABN2nds

Re: Any US owners of the 1000S's?

Postby iceman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 pm

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby iceman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:38 pm

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby roloscotusa » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Yep,

I purchased a 1000S just before the holiday from a guy in Pennslyvania. The purchase was an impulse buy which I might regret over time. I have owned MZs in past - 125, 250 and 660s. The bike looks great and rides ok. I think that I will change the tires in the Spring. It would be great to get know some of the US owners of 1000 because there ain't too many of us (Maximum of 30).

Regards,

Mark.
roloscotusa

Postby iceman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:01 pm

roloscotusa wrote:Yep,

I purchased a 1000S just before the holiday from a guy in Pennslyvania. The purchase was an impulse buy which I might regret over time. I have owned MZs in past - 125, 250 and 660s. The bike looks great and rides ok. I think that I will change the tires in the Spring. It would be great to get know some of the US owners of 1000 because there ain't too many of us (Maximum of 30).
Regards,
Mark.

Welcome Mark, You have a hybrid between an S and an SF with the cut fairings, Nice bike....John

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... rid=229466
John Lennon
iceman

Postby roloscotusa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I did not know that there was a hybrid between S and SF. Very interesting!!! One question on the availability of parts. I know that Grahams' is the primary provider of parts but is there a parts list that can be acquired from other sources, such as other bike parts.

Mark.
roloscotusa

Postby Mach IV » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:15 am

I have a black 05 w/5,800 miles on it.
It doesn't get ridden often as I have multiple bikes but nothing major except for that
tab on the shift mechanism cracking and having it welded so it would go into gear.
I may take it to Daytona for bikeweek,it's only 75 miles from here.
Mach IV

Postby bowmag1 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:13 pm

I have an 05 Silver with 2K. Runs great just keep it hooked up to trickle charger. Choosing to keep mine stock and no mods so cranking is an issue
2002 Skorpion Traveller
2005 Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom

Go Vols!
bowmag1

Postby roloscotusa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the tardy reply to the thread. I rode my MZ 1000 from NJ to Asheville and back in early May. What a blast!!! We rode quite a lot of the Blue Ridge Park Way and headed out to the Dragon as well. the bike handles very well. I did manage the get the back-end to slide out on the Dragon when powering out of a corner - It's wasn't planned for sure!!! What a great bike!!! Its a shame that they are not still in production. What most impressed me is that rode straight from Asheville to NJ none stop - the bike did not miss a beat.

The only thing that went wrong was a failed battery. We got a replacement at a local auto parts shop which was very lucky. It would be great to catch up with any 1000S riders in the North East USA. Let me know.

M
roloscotusa

Postby Remi Boncoeur47 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I recently bought a black 1000S from a member of this forum - Lorin. The bike has over 49,000 miles on it and looks like new. I just rode over the "Dragon" to Deal's Gap and then over the Cherohala Skyway. What a blast! The bike runs perfectly and the handling is great. I am guessing that there are not many with more miles than this. I have other bikes that I ride, so I don't expect the miles to be piled on this one.

George
Knoxville, TN
Remi Boncoeur47

Postby boilermaker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:21 pm

George (from George).
You are a lucky man to have purchased such a rare and well cared for machine.

George.
boilermaker

Postby roloscotusa » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi,

Mine is doing fine since i purchased the bike. I haven't ridden the bike too much but I rode the bike to Asheville from New Jersey and back with no problems except the battery expired in Virginia. Luckily Advanced Autos stocked a battery that fitted!!!! The only issue now is the clutch is leaking oil. Order new parts for the clutch from Grahams. The bike starts nearly always first time. It's a blast to ride!!!!

M
roloscotusa

Postby m4panther » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:58 am

I've got one. Herniated a disk in my neck. Haven't been able to ride in three years. Love the bike.
If it bleeds for a week and doesnt die....Dont' trust it!
2001 Black Panther
2004 1000s
m4panther

Postby 1000S_blk » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:23 pm

I bought a black 1000s with about 700 miles on it in the spring of 2010 from a friend of mine (he owned a Yamaha-Suzuki dealership at the time). He bought it new at an auction in 2007 for his wife who never really liked riding it so it just sat in his garage and got dusty. I've only put about 6,000 miles on it since then during the short riding seasons here in Minnesota - and I love it. It's geared down a bit (one tooth down in front) to make it more friendly at parking lot speeds and it has a Power Commander on it which my friend said made it a bit more responsive. I've run into very few people who actually know what it is so that has been fun. I parked it in front of a Ducati dealer last summer and it created quite a stir - lots of people taking pictures of it and asking questions. Another time on the highway I was passed by a guy on an old Guzzi that was pointing, gesturing and giving two thumbs-up so wildly I thought he'd crash - so that was pretty fun too.

Regarding ownership it has been no trouble - the only thing I've had to replace is the battery and tires so far. I noticed last summer that the glass part of the left side mirror is rattling noisily so I need to figure out how to secure that so it doesn't fall off and disappear while riding. My tank is also swelling as I have read about in other posts, so I will be making a new bracket for the front of that because I can't get both screws in the stock mount anymore. I took the rubber pads off the foot pegs the day I bought it because they were rock hard and slippery. The rubber boot on the rear brake switch wires above the linkage has nearly rotted off but is still holding itself in place somehow. I did manage to drop the bike while pushing it in my driveway (I know it's ridiculous - please kill me!) which bent the brake lever and broke the right front turn signal to bits. A lever from the Honda dealer for an F3 was an exact match so that was easy - I haven't found a similar turn signal yet (so if anyone knows where I can get one like the original I would love to know about it). There are now scratches in the plastic of the mirror and a small piece of paint missing from the very corner of the fairing cowl but it isn't very noticeable because the plastic is black beneath the paint - so you've really got to be looking to notice it.

The weather should be nice enough to start riding again here in about 6 or 7 weeks so I am looking forward to getting it out and enjoying it again then. Let me know if you own one anywhere in the Midwestern US and maybe we can get together for a ride.

Thank you all for the info on the forum - it's great!
Have fun and keep the shiny side up.
Mike
1000S_blk

Return to 1000S