Points cracked! ETZ251

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Points cracked! ETZ251

Postby thomaskwscott » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:15 am

Last weekend I had to come back on the back of a lorry because the points follower cracked on me. By the looks of things it got caught on the cam and the little stubby bit (technical term) was ripped off. Has anyone known this to happen? Funny thing is the points on the bike were only a couple of weeks old as I'd just converted back after my little black box of electronic ignition tricks packed up. I don't really want to have to shell out half what the bike's worth for another electronic ignition unit and points seemed to work just fine but if they are this unreliable I guess i'll have no choice, surely i'm just unlucky?
thomaskwscott

Re: Points cracked! ETZ251

Postby MZCountryRider » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:22 am

Any rough spots on the cam? I know some electronic ignitions attach the trigger wheel to the cam with a set screw, which leaves a burr. Maybe just defective points. Did you grease the cam? A little dab of Bosch Distributor Grease will help keep wear to a minimum.
Charlie
'69 Guzzi Ambassador
'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'72 Benelli 175 Enduro
'73 Guzzi Eldorado
'76 Guzzi I-Convert
'77 Morini 3 1/2 Strada
'81 Ducati 500SL Pantah
'82 Moto Guzzi V50 III
'97 MuZ Skorpion Tour

http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com/
MZCountryRider

Postby arry_b » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:16 am

Assuming the cam you're using isn't rusty and lumpy, I'd be looking at the quality of the points you've fitted. Some out there now are proper rubbish.

I've been using these http://r.ebay.com/hTSn3K on my similarly-converted-to-points-301 and on my daughter's ETZ150 (which revs higher than a 250/300 does) and they've been perfectly reliable.

No adjustments needed or misfiring, even doing 1200 miles in a week earlier this month on a tour to Spain.
arry_b

Postby thomaskwscott » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:26 am

I couldn't see any raised parts on the cam. It wasn't lubricated at all so maybe that had something to do with it and I do use the bike off road a lot so it get bounced around a bit. I put another 100 miles or so on and off road this weekend and had no issues now it's all greased and oiled up. Hopefully this will be the end of it.
thomaskwscott

Postby HENRY » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:21 pm

If you can remember, could you update what make of reliable points you obtained from EBay, please?

The link you gave goes to the EBay home page. Your post goes back a few months and the item doesn't show now.

Any good suggestions please for quality stuff.

And what points you might consider to be no good.

Very much appreciated,

Thanks, Paul.
Paul
I own an MZ ETZ125 LUXUS that I bought new in 1987
HENRY

Postby arry_b » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi Henry.

The points I recieved and used were Intermotor branded for a Wartburg 353. They do seem to have gone up recently though.

If you search ebay for 'MZ points', and look for the seller Tailender2 they'll be good parts.
arry_b

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk