[TS 150] More fork woes

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

[TS 150] More fork woes

Postby Agronski » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:33 am

So, after playing with my knackered fork suspension units (see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7789) and ordering a load of parts from Ost2rad, I found something even more puzzling. A wide bushing with a snap-ring and washer inside it! It shouldn't be there - these are 35mm forks, not the older 32mm version. The bushings came sliding out of the suspension sleeves when I up-ended them, but I don't have a clue why they're there, since none of the parts diagrams show them [see attached picture for where they were in the fork assemblies, and look at http://www.gabors-mz-laden.de/index.php ... 885d018/?_ for a parts diagram of the 35mm forks]

So now I'm really confused - did MZ do a half-way solution between the 32mm and 35mm fork versions, or has someone put 32mm components in my 35MM forks? Is that bushing needed if I have the 4-spring-and-two-washer arrangement on the end of the damping piston? WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY SUSPENSION UNITS?!

___
Attachments
ForkUnit_assembled.jpg
Agronski

Re: [TS 150] More fork woes

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am

I just love it when the last guy left a mess
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby ric » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi,
I've just disassembled a 36year old 35mm forks set and can post a picture of the internals including that large bush if it'll help
I'm going to try out some Ariete heavy duty fork seals part No. ARI.051 TC4Y 35x47x9;5/10;5 when they go back together.,

ric
ric

Postby Agronski » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:59 pm

Any photos would be _really_ appreciated - I'm really at a loss with this one, because with the bushes in I can't see how I can possibly install the final end-seal washer properly, or why the ends of my stanchions won't just smash into the bushings since there was no spring in there when I took 'em to bits. So confused :evil:

So yeah - a few photos, or even just a list of what parts and in what order you put them back into the forks would be great, thanks - I'd like to put them back on the bike before I change the front wheel bearings, which is the next job...

___
Agronski

Postby ric » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:30 am

Having problems with my camera connection at the moment :x

The main fork springs should stop any bottoming out of the forks. But if the ends of the upper tubes do descend that far they will make contact with the moveable bush which will then be forced against the bottom of the lower fork leg.

The lightweight 14mm spring holding the bush up against a machined lip is there to allow it to descend easily under braking and whenever the wheel hits any road irregularities.
As it descends it offers a less obstructed oil flow through the lower damping holes as the height of the walls of the bush surrounding the holes decrease, ie it's main purpose is to provide (a crude form of) variable damping.

If you first assemble the oil valve positioned at the bottom of the upper fork then insert the damping rod and then the 2ft long spring and turn the tube upright, the spring will keep the end of the rod in place and protruding out of the fork leg. Then place the large bush deepest section first onto the end of the rod, then the small 14mm? diameter spring and then the sealing washer. Then fit the lower fork leg over the lot and the threaded section of the rod should poke out the bottom to be secured with the Belleville washer and the 6mm nut.

Edit...
BTW both my damping rods have the screwdriver slots in alignment with the damping holes so I'll be using them to ensure both the rods have their damping oil-ways facing in the same direction upon assembly 8)

PS I've given up with the camera !

ric.
ric

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk