Bummer moment of the month

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Postby 125SMash » Tue May 11, 2004 8:15 pm

what i noticed is that the battery charges much better when its out of the bike completely.

i had clamps attached to the battery terminals so i can charge it without removing the fender if need be.
i'm thinking either the clamps from the charger have a tendency to short, or maybe there is a short elsewhere on the bike.

either way i'll have to drag it over to the dealer :(

i'll post results when i get to do that.

jbthumper wrote:Bro, i don't think changing the oil will do anything also.

But if the second battery goes dead, maybe it's not charging.
125Smash have u tried testing your bike with a volt meter to see if it's charging???My bike never drained batteries like that....but my battery only last a year max.

About that article on a guy who "killed" 2 batteries.....i don't know....sounds a little fishy...it's not likely to happen....unless there is some sort of short-circuit in that wiring.

anyway, test it ya!
2002 MZ 125SM
125SMash

Battery Not Charging?

Postby sbaschn » Sat May 15, 2004 7:49 pm

I have been having the same problems. My bike is only 3 days old. I was thinking I didn't charge it enough initially. At a stop sign, it stalled, kept hearing the clicking noise. It would not start again. I had to walk it home. At 400 lbs, quite the haul. I put it on a charger for a few mins and it cranked right up. I don't get it. I am afraid to ride it now too far from home. I will check the fuses, but this sounds like an electrical problem to me. Any tips would be appreciated.
sbaschn

Postby phlat65 » Mon May 17, 2004 12:16 am

its hard to imagine this problew is common. I still have the original battery in my 2001. I know this is stupid, but make sure you dont leave the bike in the "parking" mode when you lock the steering and remove the key... the 660 charging system is very reliable, but it wont charge a very low battery in a short ride. the nature of the type of charging system prevents this. since it uses a magneto style, the output is only regulated by dissipating excess current. the charging system is designed to closely match the current needs of the motorcycle, so there is not a whole lot of excess for charging the battery after operating all the electrics....
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Previous

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk