Cracked Gear-Case ETZ 250

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Cracked Gear-Case ETZ 250

Postby AlanJ » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi again Les,
Please forgive me if I am overstepping things here, but I wouldn't feel right if I did not mention it, so, if I was welding that crack I would drill a small hole at the absolute ends of the existing crack and then V the crack from hole to hole thus allowing good penetration with a stress reliever at either end.
As I said Les please forgive me If this is known to you but better safe than sorry. Take care Alan.
]
AlanJ

Postby nice2day » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:04 am

Thanks Alan...After you suggested what type of filler rod I did some searching and also found that 4043 seems to be the best one. I'll phone first and if he doesn't have any, I'll buy some and give it to him to use . From videos it looks particularly good at flowing and matching motorcycle type cast aluminium...I appreciate your friendly help Alan...All the best....Les :)
nice2day

Postby nice2day » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 am

Just an update. I took the engine case and something else in for welding 10 days ago with a promise of getting it back the following Wednesday (3x days) ...Now I'm afraid to phone again as the guy is likely to get annoyed that I'm pushing him....

Les
Last edited by nice2day on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:29 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:30 pm

Many thanks Puffs...Nothing worse than not knowing when the work will get done ...I'm desperate to get the parts back so I can continue the rebuild plus there is a morbid fear about the safety of the parts...it's giving me heart-burn... :cry:

Les
Last edited by nice2day on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nice2day

Postby AlanJ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi Les,
So sorry to see you being mucked about, as you say, especially when you want to get on with the rebuild, sad, some people.
Wish you well Les. Alan.
AlanJ

Postby Blurredman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:58 am

Where did you say you lived again nice2day? (put it in your profile info?)

Scratch that- West Somerset. I had a feeling you were closer and could advise. :(
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby nice2day » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:47 am

Well I eventually did get the crankcase back. The welding wasn't too bad but not easy areas to get to in all fairness. Well I used a Dremel with Carbide burrs and cleaned it up so I'm reasonably happy with the weld (Noting it would be an unusual event if I was entirely happy :D )

I just have to get the layshaft bearing removed now but can't shift it by heating to at least 200 C and slamming the case down on the bench so I have had to order a blind bush extractor set...still waiting for that to arrive.
MZ weld P1030224.JPG

MZ weld P1030222JPG.JPG

I also thought it would be worth matching the crankcase transfer ports. The right side one was badly matched where the port met the the machined area at the neck of the opening which left a sharp 2mm deep right angled step which would have impeded gas flow on one side. If they were both the same (with a step) maybe I would have left them but there was a large difference and its crucial on a two stroke that the transfer gas flow is near as identical as you can get it.... Using the Dremel carbide burr and then wearing away my thumb flesh, I managed to get both ports with a similar smooth curve.
mz transfer ports.JPG

Les
nice2day

Postby Blurredman » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:15 am

That looks pretty awesome!
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:06 pm

That all looks good.
Have you got appropriate bits and pieces to make up a slide hammer to pull the bearing out? You can do it with a grease gun and some fiddling and fittings but i`ve not done it myself.
breakwellmz

Postby nice2day » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Thanks for your comments Blurredman & breakwellmz. I'm happy to say the bearing is now out. The puller kit is a great set with lots of sizes and a very hefty slide hammer plus a screw puller should you wish to do it that way. I had a horrible dread that even with all the different sizes of pullers there would not be one that fitted that bearing but there was it fitted very nicely and after a quick blast of heat on the cases and around the rear side of the bearing housing a few hefty whacks the bearing quickly came out. So I'll do a little more cleaning on the outside of the cases with acid (wish I had an aqua-blaster locally) and then set about the re-build.

Moving on then,...I'm a big fan of Wellseal but I'm tempted this time to try Loctite 518 as the case joints are a touch damaged by the original factory assembly where a slither of something hard was trapped between the crankcase which caused an indentation that is nearly right across the joint seam and then one side of the case has quite a few porosity holes along the joint face too. Any views on sealants just out of interest please?... I reckon the original MZ sealant is not the same as Wellseal...it might have the same colour but it sets quite hard whereas Wellseal remains a very thick goo and never hardens like the MZ stuff does.

Oh yes one other question. As regards the left side case what is your preference on fitting the main bearings?...As per factory video (bearing into case and then fit the crankshaft) OR fit both main bearings to the crankshaft first and then install this into the left side case?

Look forward to the replies.
Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:40 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:45 am

Hi Puffs. Yes the weld seems sufficient and it's pretty tough hard aluminium, hopefully the cases fit back together again well as no precaution as regards distortion could be taken. Aluminium is extremely good at heat conduction so I just hope heat was dissipated well enough and things cooled down as one. I will find out when I screw it together. The JB weld sounds a good idea I think I will use that.

The indentation was caused by a small piece of something trapped in the joint. It was slightly yellow so it might have been a brass slither or fragment but certainly hard enough to put a dent in the joint. I dropped it and lost it after prising it off the other side so can't be sure but whatever it was it was certainly from the original build as it is obvious the bike has never been stripped before.

I have decided to use Loctite 518 this time which can seal up to 0.25mm gaps.

Thanks for telling me of your preferred build method, I reckon I will choose that way....I just hope the crank slides into he bearing OK after heating the inner race...I hate banging the ends of crankshafts as its very possible to distort the alignment...

To Follow of course

All the best

Les
nice2day

Previous

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk