Electrical question.

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Electrical question.

Postby Eomund » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Electrical question. Got my proper amp battery with a full charge. Changed my brushes and cleaned some of the alternator system.

I'm having an issue where at high rpms, the ignition light is coming on and I feel the power cutting out. The only thing I can think is the alternator is going bad (which I hope not). If it is, I wouldn't know where to get one.

Another symptom is the bike cuts out when the night light is on. Day light it runs dandy.

Any ideas would be a massive help.
Eomund

Re: Electrical question.

Postby Puffs » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 am

If I remember correctly it's the TS150, originally with a float problem; not sure those TS's have a rev limiter (other than implicit in the exhaust & points).

Eomund, I suppose that by "I feel the power cutting out" you mean the electrical power being generated, in line with the charge light coming on. At higher revs the alternator, being mounted onto the crankshaft, vibrates more, so it could be that the brushes loose contact? More likely it's something in the voltage regulator, maybe the rectifier. I recommend you follow the recommendations from section 5.1 & subsequent from the "MZ_TS125-150-1983-Official_Service_Manual.pdf".
Puffs

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk