EtZ 250 Carb Question

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: EtZ 250 Carb Question

Postby Puffs » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:00 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Guesi » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:16 am

Agreed :-)
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby nice2day » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Just to let you know Guesi. I respect every part of the MZ I am restoring. I treat it with utmost respect as I admire the quality of the engineering. I am a bit of a perfectionist which is why every thing I do (apart from eating my dinner :lol: ) takes such a long time (years). When I work on a bike I have to try to make everything as perfect as I can, or even make it better as long as the upgrade is in sympathy with the original or unnoticed. My current ETZ 250 has been taken apart to literally EVERY nut and bolt on the entire machine, apart from taking the speedo and tacho apart there is not one screw that has not been removed and 90% replaced with stainless steel items. When I look at the Factory Parts List I think wow, there so many (hundreds) but I have worked on every one, cleaned and refurbished every single part...I have even rebuilt the wheels myself and I try to keep as many original parts as I can and all these are refurbished by myself too. Today I found 5 screws that I will not remove as they seem very difficult to undo (they seem to be glued in?) I wonder if anyone can guess what screws I am talking about ?..one clue they are on the left side of the bike... :D
Anyway here are a few more photos...it's coming together a bit more quickly now (Thank God!)

P1030457.JPG

P1030455.JPG

P1030460.JPG

Les
nice2day

Postby Blurredman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Looking lovely..!

Boyer Branson ignition?
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:34 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:31 am

Many Thanks Blurredman and Puffs.
Regarding my "Trade Secrets".... All aluminium alloy was cleaned by me. Over the years I have found several ways of getting aluminium clean. Generally I use Phosphoric Acid at some point and if it is very corroded I resort to using a rotary Nylon wire brush. They are red coloured and have abrasive impregnated in them. They are ideal for the wheel hubs as all you have to do is let the brush rotate the hubs until they are polish bright metal. There is no need to paint the the alloy hubs as they stay clean and mostly uncorroded. Nothing is more unsightly than black paint peeling off aluminium. However I did spray the inner faces,including disc hub centre , after acid etching, with a baked on black silk paint as I like this look. All the levers and speedo brackets were similarly abrasively cleaned etched and baked on at about 150 C. Crankcases were acid cleaned and eventually I used wire wool (Brillo Pads) to burnish the outside areas. The head and Barrel were cleaned with a KARCHER sand blaster. It took 2x sacks of "kiln dried" sand but much cheaper than aqua blasting. I wish the sand was touch more grittier though. The worst part is cleaning up the lawn afterwards and getting every single grain of sand out of the parts... :D
Carbs and stub were done similarly : acid/ stainless soft wire brush/Ultrasonic bath and finished with wire wool. I also clean the steel internal parts with the rotary brush and finish with an acid dip. The phosphoric acid produces a very good anti-rust layer and as far as I know it is the first part of any car body anti-rust pre primer treatment. I will show you the evidence on a seat pan that has not rusted even though it has been damp on and off for 2x years (photo coming soon) All zinc plated parts that were rusty I used a steel rotary wire brush, acid etched and I used a Silver "Hammerite" paint. this hardens off quite well over time...OK it is not as good as re- zinc plating but with some bikes I have actually got them re-plated...it depends on how I think they will wear in use. All bright aluminium I use a 1HP rotary polishing mops and have become pretty good at knowing how to do it but it is a filthy job and I have often started doing it at the spur of the moment and covered clean clothes with black greasy dust, not to mention my entire exposed skin including face (which sometimes makes me think about the melanoma :shock:..who knows) The rims were polished this way before rebuilding them...it took ages.
Final preparation is the tank which was rusted extremely badly inside (over 20 years left outside empty) I used hydrochloric and phosphoric acids and coated inside with TAPOX.
I now have to spray the side boxes so they will be hand sanded and etched with acid then 2K spray paint.
And yes...I tried to undo the 5x screws (I think there were five) so I'll tell you...they are the screws that hold the air box together and I realised afterwards that the box is GLUED together so pointless in getting them out. The inside is perfectly clean and bright anyway....well something had to be clean somewhere... :wink:
Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:27 am

Puffs

Previous

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk