MZ Petrol Tap description Errors

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ Petrol Tap description Errors

Postby nice2day » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:30 am

I was looking through several MZ operation Instruction books just to check the petrol tap functions. I was very surprised that on each edition the same erroneous descriptive details prevailed. :shock: See the original picture below and then I show the corrected version I made up:

MZ PETROL TAP.JPG

MZ PETROL TAP Correct descriptions .JPG

I am amazed this was never corrected over all the time the English versions were printed....perhaps no-one ever read them? :D

Les
nice2day

Re: MZ Petrol Tap description Errors

Postby JawasandMZs » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm very disappointed that the fuel tap spigot - that's the bit the pipe pushes on to - is plastic. It's a tight fit and you can easily cause a split in the plastic.
JawasandMZs

Postby Puffs » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:21 am

Tanks for rectifying that!

Indeed, manuals are not necessarily always completely correct.
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:30 am

Tanks for rectifying that!
very funny Puffs :lol: ...Les

manuals are not necessarily always completely correct.

It's hard to understand what went wrong...there are SIX labels and NOT ONE is correct... :roll: and this error was repeated for decades! :shock:

Les
nice2day

Postby Puffs » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:32 am

Well, tank you for liking it but it was actually just a typo, not picked-up by my spelling checker. So also I am not necessarily always completely correct.

On the manual: why change a tried & tested error? It was proven to work well, and nobody ever complained... Until now!
Puffs

Postby nice2day » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:14 am

I'm afraid the poor old British person was brought up not to complain, which is why today their very existence is under threat....sorry to be political. The original German versions, obviously, are correct.

Les

PS: Re: the "Tanks" joke. I thought it was you being witty ...you know; PETROL TANKS. It had me trying to think of a funny reply too but I could not get "turning on" and "turning off" to work in a joke. :?

Les
nice2day

Postby AlanJ » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:30 am

Hi Les,
I don't wish to cause a problem but my Saxon's fuel/ petcock is not like either diags for position, it has a handle bit which you use to turn it, with an arrow head pointy other end which points to the petrol position which is left is off, vertical up is full-on, vertical down is reserve. Now to be honest I can't get to my TS to see what is going on there. How is your Saxon Les is it the same as mine?
Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:43 pm

many time i have had confusion set in and cleaned them and blew some stale o depleted air
threw them to see witch way they flow and smoking pipe cleaners work good to clean them
:smt023
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby nice2day » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi Alan.Yes, the later models had a slightly different design but principally the same mechanism. My Saxon Tour petrol tap is bolted with two screws into the fibre glass tank. I have the user instruction manual but even that is not clear so I will check tomorrow on the bike. The problem is the diagram is not making it clear if the 3x positions of the tap relate to the handle or the arrow and because there is an up and a down position with reserve and normal ON if you take the instruction to be the handle or the arrow you could be on reserve all the time instead of normal only to find this out when you attempt to switch on reserve and find the tank is empty... :evil: . I'll have a look tomorrow to clarify as I have forgotten which way round it works, maybe the tap has writing on it..... :? Les
nice2day

Postby AlanJ » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:14 am

Hi Les,
Good to see you have the bike running. Back to the fuel taps, yes my Saxon ones are marked off,on,res, and I looked at the TS last night and that doesn't
have any on-off etc, on it. You are right though Les that original diag is all up the shoot.
Stay safe Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk