steering front removal from frame

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

steering front removal from frame

Postby Daniel_I » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:11 pm

I need to weld a new ('T' shaped) steering stop to replace an old one which must have broken before I bought it 40 years ago (the small tell-tale dents in the fuel tank should have told me to check that). I'd like to remove the front section from the frame so as not to damage the bearings and steering column inside whilst welding up the new stop. I've removed the wheel/handlebars/top column nut and am now at a loss as to how to proceed. I can see the top ball race which seems to be push fitted onto the rotating steering column. I have gently tapped the top of the steering column with a leather headed mallet but it isn't moving... and I do not want to damage it. There is some mention of a Circlip which holds the bottom bearing in... but I cannot see it. Any help gratefully received.
Daniel_I

Re: steering front removal from frame

Postby Daniel_I » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:10 am

Thanks for your input. I solved the issue by using a broom stick and wacking it with an engineer's hammer. It didn't give up without a fight.
Daniel_I

Postby Puffs » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:43 am

Good on you!

A nice piece of wood can be very useful. I'm guessing the steering shaft was just sticking on the bearings? After 40+ years, probably.
Puffs

Postby Larisabrownb » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:59 am

Re: steering front removal from frame ... Thanks for your input. I solved the issue by using a broom stick and wacking it with an engineer's ...Position the front subframe on the vehicle a few centimetres from the bodyshell . Detach the rack housing from the exhaust manifold . Engage the steering rack ...steering effort at low vehicle speeds and increases the risk of love language test a crash. ... WIPER / WASHER: FRONT WIPER MOTOR: REMOVAL; 2019 - 2020 MY RAV4 RAV4 HV.Coil Spring Suspension · Position the wheel to face straight ahead. · Remove the front tire and wheel assemblies. · Remove the fluid cooler. · Remove the cotter ...Remove the bolt or pin and separate the joint coupling from the rack pinion shaft. Place the container under the rack and separate the hoses of the steering system from the rack. Plug the ends of the separated hoses. Remove the cotter pins and nuts from the end of the tie rods.
Larisabrownb

Postby jannickz » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:41 am

You're on the right track with disassembly for replacing the steering stop, but there are a few things to consider to avoid damaging the components. The top ball bearings race is likely a press-fit onto the steering column. Gently tapping with a mallet might not be enough. You'll need a steering stem puller (also known as a triple tree puller) to remove it safely. This tool threads onto the top of the steering column and applies pulling force to separate the race from the stem. The circlip holding the bottom roller bearing is likely located at the bottom of the steering stem, inside the frame's head tube. You might need a good flashlight to see it. It might be a snap ring style circlip requiring specialized snap ring pliers for removal.
jannickz

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk