Two stroke oil

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Two stroke oil

Postby Blurredman » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:15 am

MZ's have to be the only manufacturer of the period to recommend such a lean mix of oil. I'm not saying it's wrong either way. A lot of people love their 50:1's. Different bush vs bearing types are one of the reasons for the leaning out. Not to do with combustion. But, speculation at the time also says that being that Eastern Germany was predominantly 2t vehicles (and especially in the cities that can be congested), lowering the consumption of oil was better for the health of people in the cities. That could be a big reason. Not sure. I don't care. Some people measure out their oil to the exact Millimeter spending half an hour at the petrol tap.

MZ aren't as infallable as a lot on the German forum make them out to be. Their manuals are full of mistakes (for example seeing as you mention it, they can't make up their mind whether the gearboxes for ETZ250/251 hold 900ml or 1,000ml), and like any company sometimes they make decisions, or get told to make recommendations they might otherwise think is actually not good practice, esspecially in the long run - otherwise they're fined, or such like. Car manufacturers now 'recommend' that their gearbox oil NEVER needs replacement, and also the engine oil interval is 20,000 miles! Would you follow that?

People think way too much into this sort of stuff and there are countless arguments for and against lower or higher oil consumption since the combustion engine was invented. I say just research as you please and try and get the best opinion you can from your own perceptions so long as they're not wild. A lot of MZ riders these days tend to meddle with their bikes and shoot hot air, speculation and theory and semantics more than actually ride them- so they'll never see the effects either way of using 50:1 for that 1,000 miles over the 10 year period they had and used the bike for...
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby JawasandMZs » Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:31 pm

Sorry to repeat the same stuff but please don't waste your hard earned on fancy oil. I've used cheapie £20 for five lites for four years on my jawa without prob. Putolene and Rock oil at over a tenner a litre are just taking the piece. But only if you let them.
The one cheap rubbish I DO refuse, however, is drive chains other than DID.
JawasandMZs

Postby breakwellmz » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:28 am

Todays cheap stuff is probably still far better that 60s and 70s two stroke oil.
The MZs or Jawas are hardly high performance/tuned/revving engines demanding `performance` oil! :wink:
breakwellmz

Previous

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk