Brian is a little loose ?

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Brian is a little loose ?

Postby Brian » Thu May 27, 2004 5:49 pm

My front Rotor is getting looser... meaning in some spots I have up to 3/16" of side wiggle.... I know they are designed to float but I think this is excessive....anyone else had this problem.... am I being paronoid ??? :shock: Brakes seem to work fine.... Ya Phlat they have gotter alittle more wiggle since you last saw them..... :(
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby keithcross » Fri May 28, 2004 12:12 pm

Brian

I have a lot of play in my front disc as well. It seems to be normal and does not seem to effect the efficiency of the brake. Bit worrying though.
I have asked and shown it to my dealer and he seems to think it ok. I am currently looking at an after market one all the same. There is a dealer over here in the UK that will make one for about £120. Fro that uou get a new disc rotor, rotor carrier and bobbins in either normal (drilled) or wavey disc.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby Dezmo » Fri May 28, 2004 1:07 pm

I dont have this prob with mine, but then I've never really tried to check the side play on the disc....I know some brands of aftermarket discs get loose enough to make an audible 'clang' when you turn the bars and hit the steering stop...just my 2cents
Hella Yella, coming ta getcha!
Dezmo

Postby Brian » Fri May 28, 2004 2:32 pm

Dezmo wrote:I dont have this prob with mine, but then I've never really tried to check the side play on the disc....I know some brands of aftermarket discs get loose enough to make an audible 'clang' when you turn the bars and hit the steering stop...just my 2cents

Hey Dez !!! where ya bin......how'd all those mods go on your bike (springs etc)
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby Dezmo » Fri May 28, 2004 3:16 pm

working my ass off! been at the track almost every weekend.
I hooked up with a local guy who has the taller suspension and we might work out a deal on swapping them, but I still have to redo the short forks to his tastes as part of the deal....I will keep you guys posted
Hella Yella, coming ta getcha!
Dezmo

Postby Brian » Fri May 28, 2004 6:16 pm

If I can con the Phlatt man in the next couple weeks to help with the front springs I'll let you know....I've done so much to my bike since the last time we spoke its amazing..........I'm absolutely loving my bike.....I am wanting the stage two kit big time.... Titanium Valves etc as well..... when you have a couple minutes shoot me a engine wish list... I want moooore power..... just have to decide how far to go, w/o losing huge reliability issues.....I am ordering the header pipe kit from Germany then take it to a shop(I think I have picked out some good guys) to have the jetting done properly.... right now she runs a wee bit hot....
Do you have the Yellow Bagmachine on the track..... did you put street rubber on it ????
Later, B
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby RichBeBe » Fri May 28, 2004 10:36 pm

I was bleeding my brakes today and I looked at the rotor on my Mastiff. It is a floater with a wave washer that is used to center it and probably quiet it. On GSXR's back in the late 80's early 90's we used to take a socket and a hammer and carefully flip the washers over to make our rotors full floaters. I think that your washers are worn out and you now have a full floating rotor. I think it is perfectly safe. But hell I wasn't the one who once flipped over my bars because of a brake problem.
RichBeBe

Postby Brian » Sat May 29, 2004 12:28 am

RichBeBe wrote:I was bleeding my brakes today and I looked at the rotor on my Mastiff. It is a floater with a wave washer that is used to center it and probably quiet it. On GSXR's back in the late 80's early 90's we used to take a socket and a hammer and carefully flip the washers over to make our rotors full floaters. I think that your washers are worn out and you now have a full floating rotor. I think it is perfectly safe. But hell I wasn't the one who once flipped over my bars because of a brake problem.

Well, nobody seems to think its a problem......I guess I'll find something else to fuss over.......Thanks for your input....
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk