Mastiif tank bag suggestions?

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Mastiif tank bag suggestions?

Postby RichBeBe » Sun May 30, 2004 8:54 am

I am looking for suggestions for a small tank bag for m Mastiff. I have tons of riding gear but nothing that mounts to the roll cage over the tank without interfering with my movement. Anyone have any ideas?
RichBeBe

Postby Dezmo » Sun May 30, 2004 9:46 am

I ran into this same problem, and this was my soulution:
http://www.nelsonrigg.com/products/classic/paypal/tp902.htm
the site says out of stock, but there are other similar tailpacks out there... the built in bungees wrap around the back fender and hook to each other, keeping it securely in place. Its so convienent I rarely take it off the bike. I can even run out to the shop and get a pic with it in place if youd like.
Hella Yella, coming ta getcha!
Dezmo

Postby Brian » Sun May 30, 2004 5:29 pm

me likey bag big time I'm gonna order one...... :wink:
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby cat-tard » Sun May 30, 2004 10:18 pm

Please, please, please be doubly-sure that you have that bungee-tailbag fastened down rock-solid...

I spent most of my summer lying on the couch with a broken collarbone and pelvis last year because I used one of those bungee-cord-tailbag thingies on my gixxer and I *thought* it was mounted "good enough"... it slipped down and fell between the swingarm and tire and locked it up, but good... left a big black skid-mark for about 200'...

...I was doing about 65 or 70mph down hwy 167 and life was good and the next thing I remember is waking up in the ambulance and wondering where the handlebars went...
cat-tard

Postby Brian » Mon May 31, 2004 1:01 am

I'm actually going to mount it on the back part of my seat, Im gonna pre install straps so when they aren't being used I will slip them under the seat....locking up the back tire at 65-70 YIKES !! :shock:
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby keithcross » Mon May 31, 2004 3:34 am

I have a (still a down on power) BAghira street moto and used to have a genuine MZ rear rack with a tail pack fitted. This worked well.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby RichBeBe » Mon May 31, 2004 8:51 am

I am also not a huge fan of tailbags and such for quick on and off. A few years ago I was riding my Hawk GT with my laptop strapped to the back seat. I had just left my job and had changed my sprockets so I was playing trying to check RPM vs. speed. I was dojng about 110 and I felt a thump a bump the bike kicked sideways and then everything was ok. I thought I snapped a chain. I grabbed a handful of brakes and watched my laptop slid by me and hit the center divider on the Whitestone Bridge. I pulled over and grabbed the mangled case and put it between my chest and tank and rode off the bridge. Got to the other side and there was a ripped up case and copper wire hanging out. I got home and the computer had a tire mark on the case, the power adapter was crushed and the wire was mangled. I turned the compute on and it worked perfectly. I bought another power adapter and used the computer for two more years. I even sent pics and a letter to Compaq hoping it would be a great ad for them and maybe get me a new computer. But they never replied.
Since then I like to have my load in front of me, though I do use tail bags, and still strap stuff on. But mostly I want a tank bag for the map pocket convenience and being able to grab things quickly.
RichBeBe

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk