Baghira carb problem...

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baghira carb problem...

Postby -8- » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:36 pm

After a mad blast riding home yesterday I noticed a strong fuel smell after I parked the beast in the shed. This morning the smell was still strong but I backed it out and tried to start it up. No go...just fuel spilling out the overflow tube from the carbs. I turned the fuel valve off and let it sit. Two people I asked said it's probably stuck floats. Can anyone suggest a remedy?
Attachments
PICT0042b.JPG
Nelson-Rigg saddle bags & tail bag. Works nice, lots o room PLUS softens the high-side landings real well!
PICT0042b.JPG (264.02 KiB) Viewed 7854 times
-8-

Postby RichBeBe » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:19 pm

It is one of a few things:
Stuck Float
Bad float (that no longer floats)
A tear in the rubber of the needle valve
Something wrong with the needle valve seat
A piece of debris stuck in the valve holding it open
I would be willing to bet it is a stuck float though
Take the back end of a screwdriver (plastic end) and wack the float bowl a few times and turn the fuel back on. See if that stops it, if not you need to open the bowl up.
Thats my two cents for whatever it's worth :?
RichBeBe

Postby 125SMash » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:32 pm

hey, what brand/model handguards are those?
2002 MZ 125SM
125SMash

Postby -8- » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:26 pm

I did whack the float bowl (right hand side carb) with exactly that! Turned the fuel on but still didn't start... no fuel spilling out the hose now though. I am going to let it sit overnight and try again tomarrow. Any chance of fouling the plug if it doesn't start right off?

btw: Acerbis hand guards, scuffed up good with a Scotchbrite pad. Only now my mirrors vibrate at 55mph+ whereas they were clear before. I think the additional brace points on the bars exagerates in the mirrors. Hey...how do you like the 125SM? I think I may get 1 for my wife.
-8-

Postby 125SMash » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:57 pm

its my first own bike so my opinon maybe skewed.

i love it, its gorgeous sounds great and it doesnt kill me with insurance premiums.

only complaint is skant dealer presence on the island, odometer is in kilometers and lots of shifting in city riding.

id recommend it if mz wasnt coming out with a 250 'soon'.

kinda alsmot wish i waited..

naaaaah :)
2002 MZ 125SM
125SMash

Postby cat-tard » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:09 pm

One other thing to check for is fuel in the oil... sometimes, the float-bowl will overflow and run down the intake-port to collect on top of the piston... once there, it seeps past the rings and winds up in the crankcase. ...this is very bad for all the parts that depend on the oil for lubrication, and if there's any doubt (unexplained increase in oil-level or odor of fuel from sump) then it's worth the trouble to just go ahead and change the oil NOW before you put any miles on contaminated oil (and potentially create more problems).
cat-tard

Postby phlat65 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:20 pm

what she said!! also, hold it wide open and crank it to help clear the excess fuel, with no choke.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:29 am

(8) wrote:I did whack the float bowl (right hand side carb) with exactly that! Turned the fuel on but still didn't start... no fuel spilling out the hose now though. I am going to let it sit overnight and try again tomarrow. Any chance of fouling the plug if it doesn't start right off?

btw: Acerbis hand guards, scuffed up good with a Scotchbrite pad. Only now my mirrors vibrate at 55mph+ whereas they were clear before. I think the additional brace points on the bars exagerates in the mirrors. Hey...how do you like the 125SM? I think I may get 1 for my wife.

scotchbrite....... great idea..... buggers up the finish though... right ???
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby -8- » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:41 am

Fuel in the oil!?!? Cripes I hope not! I will check though. No other indications were present when this started...in fact I swear since I changed the oil last month the damn thing keeps getting faster & smoother. I wish I could find an exploded view of the carbs so I can at least look like I knew what I was doing. Do I need to drop both fuel bowls or can I start with the right side?

'Hold it wide open & crank it'? Doesn't that go against what's stated clearly in the owners manual NOT to do? I was going to crank it with the fuel valve 'off' to clear excess fuel. I guess I need to pull the seat off to make sure I don't ignite the air filter like Roy did. http://members.tripod.com/roy_bertalotto/id25.htm (go to bottom of page)

btw- Scotchbrite was only for the handguards! I was going to paint them flat black but a vigorous 10 minutes with the pad did the trick.
-8-

Hand guards

Postby Islander » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:41 am

The handguards, did they bolt up easily. When you ordered them, did you order for MZ or are they universal. I am asking because I have never thought of getting hand guards, but they look good.
2004 MZ Baghira Black Panther
2003 Honda VTX 1800 C
Islander

Postby -8- » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:03 pm

I rode to the bike shop...picked out Renthal bars, grips and the Acerbis guards then did all the work in the parking lot within about 2hrs. I had to cut 3/4" off the levers but the guards were easy. The freakin grips took almost an hour to slide on. Hardest part about the guards was trying to get them adjusted evenly... no big deal.
1. They are really tough. I went down pretty good once in sugar sand on the throttle side and they kept the bars straight and throttle clean...probably saved the front turn signal and side panel too. Broke the front fender though. $100 from MZ. :roll:
2. Noticeable wind protection on hands, especially in winter.
3. They do look good...and that's what counts right!

Now if I can just get her started again.............
Attachments
PICT0003b.JPG
guards
PICT0003b.JPG (277.51 KiB) Viewed 7804 times
-8-

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:26 pm

the standard heights always get me all fuzzzzy...... nice pict.....
Islander just what (8) said on the bars and acerbis stuff.... easy, lining them up is a pain though.... by the way Acerbis makes a universal SM front fender for $ 29.00 although it doesn't protect as well as the stocker but cheaper and better lookin..... Phlat and I put lock hart phillips blinkers on our hand guards... I put higher watt bulbs in and painted them orange, changed the 3 amp fuse to 5 amp fuse and now you can see me a mile away.....
Attachments
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (75.96 KiB) Viewed 7792 times
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:27 pm

Brian wrote:the standard heights always get me all fuzzzzy...... nice pict.....
Islander just what eight said on the bars and acerbis stuff.... easy, lining them up is a pain though.... by the way Acerbis makes a universal SM front fender for $ 29.00 although it doesn't protect as well as the stocker but cheaper and better lookin..... Phlat and I put lock hart phillips blinkers on our hand guards... I put higher watt bulbs in and painted them orange, changed the 3 amp fuse to 5 amp fuse and now you can see me a mile away.....
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:34 pm

I can't delete my mistake/ quote ???? or is my chin strap toooooo tight and cutting off the flow of blood to my peasized brain.... where's a mod when you need one..... :P
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Thanks

Postby Islander » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:39 pm

Thanks for the information. By the way, (8), that is a bit of false advertising that could get you into some trouble. I am talking about the NOS sticker on the black can. Does make it look useful though.
2004 MZ Baghira Black Panther
2003 Honda VTX 1800 C
Islander

Next

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk