baggy 660 carb tune kit

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

baggy 660 carb tune kit

Postby den » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:33 pm

hi all ,
As you can see in my gallery photos i have put a carbon fibre exhaust(straight through) on my baggy and love the sound and performance however , even though ive installed a DBkiller it still pops a little on engine braking,i have heard this could damage my engine/valves because the mixture will be wrong and could overheat ,

I have noticed this add in ebay and wondered if its worth a try or should i just go with the recomendations in the "carb tuning " section.
copy & paste the below title in ebay--

MZ MuZ Baghira 660 cc Enduro 6Sig Custom Carburetor Carb Stage 1-3 Jet Kit

many thanks

ps
It doesnt overheat though , the fans never came on anyways,
Oh mutly,,you did it again,she he he he he ehheheheh
den

Re: baggy 660 carb tune kit

Postby cat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:39 am

It might still be too lean at some points in the rev range, even though not overheating.

I saw that carb kit, bookmarked it...i dunno... what about trying the tuning, move the needle up and see if the popping stops. If you're sure it's not an exhaust leak.
cat

Postby den » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:28 pm

cat wrote:It might still be too lean at some points in the rev range, even though not overheating.

I saw that carb kit, bookmarked it...i dunno... what about trying the tuning, move the needle up and see if the popping stops. If you're sure it's not an exhaust leak.

Thank for the reply cat, im going to post a you tube video this weekend , you may think it sound ok ,
den

Postby radiograf » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:36 pm

I've often found this popping can be caused by an air leak into the exhaust system. Try rebuilding it with exhaust gasket cement to seal the joints.
radiograf

Postby den » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:06 pm

the exhaust is allready fully rebuilt, special silicone super heat resistant matting/quality grade wire wool/high temp silicone seal between the joints and db killer so i know or doubt its that.Ive made a video and am in the process of editing it so ill post it soon ,
den

Postby den » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:22 pm

so ive upped the video and the link is in a new thread/topic ,"YOUTUBE VIDEOS"
please have a look and listen for the popping and let me know if you think i need to rejet the carbs
thanks
den

Postby cat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:50 am

oh, i didn't watch it properly all the way through - having slow connection problems lately. so i saved it to watch later.
the bike looks immaculate. clean. :-)
cat

Postby den » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:14 pm

any thoughts on my original post anyone,also. on there website they state (select stage you require)goes from 1 to 7 i think,,Just what are thease stages, what do they mean , its not the cost im worried bout its more not knowing how to correct things if this kit dos'nt quite tune in properly.i have wrote to them asking for references from there ebay feedback for there baggy customers but as yet had no replie :( .

idealy i was hoping to see this type of feedback:;;; kit came complete and fitted in in a hour and wow what a difference , my bikes not barking now on decelleration and the rev range has increased greatly,more power and more tourque and a much cooler engine??

oh for a perfect world
den

Postby duncmac » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Wondering if you ended up buying/fitting this kit?

I know jet kits are a can of worms sometimes, but it would be interesting to know what you decided to do in the end?
MZ Baghira 2002 - Silver
CBR 600 FY 2002 - Tri colour
Vespa T5 172 Malossi - Old English White
duncmac

Postby den » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Not bought this kit yet..After all this time im still watching it in my ebay watch list, every now and then ill send a message to people who bought this kit and ask for advice in its performance but as yet had no replie,,Which is worrying,,I have even messaged the people running the ebay add and asked them for feedback on how this kit improves on the mz baghira,,NO REPLY,,So , I recon this company just has some sort of computer mapping tool that when given the right input perameters they just make up a kit (jets) and post it out , So The question is , " What has to be done to the carb jetting after an aftermarket exhaust has beet fitted"Im hoping for an replie such as like this ,,

Ive done this many times and youll need to 1.raise/lower the needle by ?????.2 main jet should be ???? 3 pilot jet should be ????,and do this and that and youll be sorted,,

Trial and error sounds like a very good learning tool, ( for a teenager) but for someone who knows how bloody difficult it is to get thease carbs off , i hope youll understand why i only want to do it once, hence the premium $45 for 3 jets kit---sorted--- :P
den

Postby basser23 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Den,
Go to tunebike.de check out their carb kit......it works, and open the pilot screw to 5 turns..about...
The kit has a spacer for the diaphram carb,new venturi, and jet drills..it improves the response greatly...
basser23

Postby duncmac » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 am

I know what you mean Den.

There's loads of bits and pieces of info out there, but no definitive set ups.

I've even been browsing the xtz forums, as the share same carb and engine. Apparently
once the pilot screw is 3.5 open th whole it covers is fully open so anything beyond that makes bugger all difference.

Kit wise I think there's the sigma one you've seen, the tune bike de one, and looks like dynajet do one. See slipstream tuning pages for a mention of one. Also there's chat on here about, a mikumi pilot jet.

I've got my carb off at the moment, (Just had a hernia op so won't be touching it for a few days ) so apart from giving it a good clean and adjusting the pilot screw richer, float height, secondary carb opening a tad sooner and replacing the fuel pipe and breather hose filter on the secondary carb, I'm gong to leave it stock and see how it actually runs.

I've got a bsm pipe to put on so I intend to look at the headers (internal welds to be ground down I'm told) the ktm air filter and then again at the fuelling.

I'll post up what I find as I go. I'm sure I read about a standard uncorking??? Procedure somewhere. Also want to find out it they can lean or rich as stock.

I'm going to be looking at he German forums and see what they advise. Google translate is my friend.
MZ Baghira 2002 - Silver
duncmac

Postby Skorpion » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:14 pm

duncmac wrote:
Apparently once the pilot screw is 3.5 open Th whole it covers is fully open so anything beyond that makes bugger all difference.

I think a few people on here will dispute that, mine is 5 out and have now no backfiring down the pipe.

Set at Yamahas setting 2.5 out my spark plug was white so way too weak.
Skorpion

Postby den » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm

thanks basser23 and duncmac im going to look on tunebike , if anyone knows its going to be them,,
Duncmac--dont forget that pesky little fuel filter hidden in the carb,
den

Postby duncmac » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 am

The info on 3.5 turns out and the passage way/hole being fully uncovered, is just something I'm passing on, not passing off as gospel.

I cannot get that float pin to move or even twist. Flushed it though with cleaner and theres little resistance when blowing though, will try crossing my fingers.
MZ Baghira 2002 - Silver
duncmac

Next

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk