Cheaper electronic ignitions

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Cheaper electronic ignitions

Postby Blurredman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi guys.

After aquiring a VERY tired ETZ251
I bought it as a very cheap hack considering as I have now moved to a location where I don't have access to a garage.. A lot of the parts on the bike are either missing or broken. After years of collecting I have acheived a roadworthy bike that has many ETZ250 parts on instead and is now a mix of original 250 and later 251. IE.. Round brake light and one round indicator and one square indicator on the front..Hehehe. I also bought it as my sole motorcycle transport as my other three bikes (including my ETZ250) require serious engine work that will not happen quickly. My ETZ250 leaks the whole litre of oil in a month amid other issues.

A a bit of re-wiring, and a couple of long days focused solely on it got it to run. Unfortunately the original BVF 30N3-1 carburettor was completely gunked and seized up. After allowing it to stew in lemon juice for a few hours I managed to dismantle it and (now the float is not stuck anymore) now it is at least usable enough to let the bike idle though I'm currently using a correctly set up BVF 30n2-5 for troubleshooting at the minute. Though a Mikuni is probably soon to be purchased.

(original sale pics)

I had to put on it a spare barrel and piston that I had as the one that is on it was completely siezed to the point of requiring many smacks of the hammer. No way would simple diesel have worked.

The points that were on the bike initially worked but the spring soon failed and it way bye bye. I have more however but I am finding it hard to set the ignition. I have got the bike started a few times with a lot of messing however setting the timing is a little tricky.

It's easy enough to do normally, but after setting the gap and then finding 2.7mm before top dead, the available leverage of the bracket is not sufficient enough to allow the points to open at any position for adjustment of the timing itself. The only way i've managed to acheive this is to have the generator casing at an angle to the crank. I have temporarily used my own generator casing from my ETZ250 and it was a doddle with that. HOWEVER, I have seen the cheaper electronic ignitions from e-bay (about £60) which is just on it's own an electronic counterpart to points and a condensor. How well do these work considering I've not seen them on the market for very long??

I must say though that the 251 is physlically more comfortable to sit on than the 250 due to the thicker seat.. :lol: :lol:
1972 MZ ES250/2 - 16,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1990 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Re: Cheaper electronic ignitions

Postby Gasmatt01 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:33 am

I've been using SofCHJanek system from Poland. Bit of a leap of faith, but you can see them working on YouTube. Was £45 via western union (that was the leap of faith bit), but he's v helpful & it's worked faultlessly for 2 years on my TS250 daily commute. Highly recommended. I found a Bulgarian system after I'd installed Janek's, looks neater, but can't vouch for it.
Matt, Basingstoke.
Gasmatt01

Postby Gasmatt01 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:37 am

PS- he does both 6&12V systems
Gasmatt01

Postby Blurredman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:15 am

Gasmatt01 wrote:I've been using SofCHJanek system from Poland. Bit of a leap of faith, but you can see them working on YouTube. Was £45 via western union (that was the leap of faith bit), but he's v helpful & it's worked faultlessly for 2 years on my TS250 daily commute. Highly recommended. I found a Bulgarian system after I'd installed Janek's, looks neater, but can't vouch for it.
Matt, Basingstoke.

Could you quote a website or something where I can have a good look at it (if that is possible of course), I can't find owt on the internet!
:lol:
1972 MZ ES250/2 - 16,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1990 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk