ETZ250 clutch spun on the crank.

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ETZ250 clutch spun on the crank.

Postby Skyeport » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:12 am

As I left the transport department with my newly registered ETZ250 the clutch stopped functioning!
Turns out the clutch has spun on the crank, (brand new crank too :cry: ) Lots of deep scoring on both clutch and crank taper.
I am sure I torqued the clutch on as per the manual, but didn't lap them together as I failed to read the fine print :(
Is there any way to repair this ?
I tried using loktite 660 shaft and taper repair, and seemed to hold ok but the clutch alternated between not letting go and slipping. Removed the clutch, inspected it, then re loktited it and seems to have come loose again, haven't pulled it apart again yet. had to walk away in case I just set it on fire. :evil:
Was wondering if the crank taper could be welded then re-ground, and a new clutch centre purchased?
Or maybe a key way milled into the crank and clutch?
If postage wasn't so high to Australia I'd spring for another crank and clutch centre, and chalk it up to learning the hard way, but hoping the brains trust on here might have dealt with this before?
Skyeport

Re: ETZ250 clutch spun on the crank.

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:39 am

lesson number 2 never bump start an r90s BMW they come apart at the taper between the drive shaft and rear end...oh what a mess it makes...
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby dirtsurfer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:59 am

I'm not in able to give advice on this issue but I'll definitely be looking up lapping the clutch. But I wiil probably ordering some parts again soon so if you want to go with a new crank perhaps we can share the postage cost.
MZochist
dirtsurfer

Postby Guesi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Normally both parts (crank and clutch) are junk after that. So I think you need to replace both.

I had the same problem a year ago. And both parts had to be replaced.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby Skyeport » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:38 pm

dirtsurfer wrote:I'm not in able to give advice on this issue but I'll definitely be looking up lapping the clutch. But I wiil probably ordering some parts again soon so if you want to go with a new crank perhaps we can share the postage cost.

Cheers, sounds like a plan. PM me when your ready.
Skyeport

Postby Bernardo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 am

The clutch on my old etz racer was lapped on, it came loose once but after tightening and loctiting it was ok, cheaper than an engine rebuild anyway
Bernardo

Postby dirtsurfer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:lesson number 2 never bump start an r90s BMW they come apart at the taper between the drive shaft and rear end...oh what a mess it makes...
dave

That is unusual as a lot of people find them very hard to remove when they have loosened the nut.

MZochist
dirtsurfer

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk