Front sliding caliper

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Front sliding caliper

Postby Garf » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:54 am

I have had 2 instances now were the front pads have started to bind on the disc. The first time I had to physically force the pads off and ride home rear brake only. I checked the caliper and pads visually when i got home and didnt see anything obviously untoward so I just bled the system through and it was fine. The second time I noticed it was just when pushing the bike around the yard as it didnt seem as free wheeling as it should.
Has anybody else experienced this ? If so, what do I need to be checking / doing to sort it out ?

I am still saving for a better front caliper ....i think it is likely that i will go for the direct fitment Harrison Billet 6 pot so if anybody is using one already can they let me know if it was a good buy.

Cheers
HR Black Panther
Garf

Postby awschmidt » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:28 am

My Mastiff did this after sitting for awhile. The front brake would drag after coming to a stop. I would quickly pull the lever back half an inch and release (basically dragging my fingers across the top of the lever) and they would release. Therefore, I assumed my problem was in the master cyl. after fluid flush and repeated finger dragging, the problem ceased.
Kevin
awschmidt

brakes

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:12 am

there is a valve action in the front master cyl that releases pressure
when the brake is released....
if this is stopped up the system is then like a hydraulic jack and binds the pads
new fluid and a good cleaning of the master cyl parts will probely
solve the problem
if the bike is over 5 years old a master cyl overhaul
kit may be a good idea :D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby keithcross » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:00 pm

I to have a problem with my front caliper on teh Baghira. Its fine when riding or pushing it forwards, but on ocasions bind when pushing teh bike backwards. If I push the bike forwards or operate the brake quite hard once it releases for a while.
I reckon its the caliper sldes worn, any other ideas?

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

brakes

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:25 pm

just a thought
i once had a 510 nissan car that had a sticking front master cyl right side only
when we sorted it out it was the flexable line from car to wheel
it would flow fluid to the piston but a flap of rubber would not let
it return a one way stoppage in the hose ...the rubber inside was going bad and clogging up the line
i have seen this 3 times on cars but not on a bike yet
:D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby awschmidt » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:44 pm

Keith, I've heard vented rotor click when pushing backwards (on a honda) It was caused by the sharp edge formed on the normally trailing edge of the pads catching on the vent holes. Have never heard of one locking up the wheel; However, I would guess the pad might wedge in if it was loose enough. Not a proven theory, just a guess at this point. If it were the case, grinding a slight bevel on the pad edge would eliminate it.
BTW got the fork pdf file, thank you again.

Kevin
awschmidt

Return to 660 cc