Questions for Baghira Owners

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Questions for Baghira Owners

Postby Phatmac » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:55 am

Hello All! I've been lurking unregistered for a while and am interested in a Baggi after a sit-test at a local dealer. I do have a couple of questions for you seasoned vets of this unique 'cycle.

1. This is the first bike I would own with spoked wheels, and I have read once too many times about spoke/wheel failure. Is this a common problem :shock: , or have I read the same post over and over?

2. Is anyone riding their Baggi through the winter? How well does it cold start? What are your wheel/tire recommendations (Moto or Enduro)?

3. What is the availability of parts in the US? Are there any spares I should have on hand for touring?

Cheers,

Ryan
Phatmac

Postby keithcross » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:03 pm

Hi

I have owned my Bahira for nearly 3½ years and have covered over 55,000kms, riding throuout the year unless its actually icy or there is snow on teh gound. I use my bike for commuting 200 miles a wek as well as for fun. As for spokes, I have not had any fail yet.
As fo tyres I have the street moto veriosn and find the best combination is an Avon Distanza rear and an Avon Pro-Extreme Rain on the front. Regualry geting 35000miles on a rear and 7500 on a front.
Cant comment on spares in the USA as I live in teh UK. Spares are quite easy to get here as I only live about 35 miles from BSA Regal and they normally get parts to me in 24 hours. They will send parts to the USA though if you want.
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby awschmidt » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:43 pm

I haven't had my bike long enough to vote on the spoke question; However, the parts I've bought for my Mastiff (close to baghira) have been easy to find as they tend to fit other bikes also or are easily replaced with universal aftermarket parts.

Kevin
awschmidt

Postby phlat65 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:00 pm

I bought mine new in 2001, have done 13,000 miles so far, and do ride in the winter. it starts very easy cold, I only had to replace the battery this spring.

parts that have failed:

front brake switch (available at KTM, in stock, $7.00)
turn signal flasher replaced under warranty
the bolts for the rear sprocket came loose, replaced with a better bolt.
on my third chain (I really like to do wheelies :twisted: )
4th set of tires, I love the stock pirelli mt-60, great all-aroound tire, good in the wet., currently have Pirelli super corsa's, amazing tire!!!!
I will be due for brake pads in 1,000 miles probably.
7 oil changes, 1 valve adjust.

I have not broken any spokes, and I have jumped the bike quite a bit.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby Garf » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:52 am

I have had a few spoked wheel road bikes in the past and have never had a broken spoke. So far I havent had any trouble with the Baggi either and i have had it for 6 months or so. Just watch out for a bit of surface rusting on some of the spokes.

The only slight concern I have regarding the spoked wheels on the moto is that all the tyre fitments i know of are designed primarily to run without tubes, which apparently means they can run too hot ....cant say i have ever noticed anything untoward though. As a point of interest i recently read a brief article about a French company who are marketing a kit which seals the spoked wheels and enables them to run tyres without tubes. Some French offroad rider has developed it and it has been used succesfully in race conditions. Sadly, I have no idea were I read it and have completely forgotten the company name !!

I have fitted the Maxis Goldspeed road compound tyres and am very happy with the overall performance......good price to.

Mine starts fine in all weather and is stored outside under a tarp.

So far i havent needed parts other than consumables and have sourced these no probs.

It is a great bike....enjoy it !!
HR Black Panther
Garf

Postby Fil » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:30 pm

As a point of interest i recently read a brief article about a French company who are marketing a kit which seals the spoked wheels and enables them to run tyres without tubes. Some French offroad rider has developed it and it has been used succesfully in race conditions. Sadly, I have no idea were I read it and have completely forgotten the company name !!

The kits called the 'LP kit' and are made by 'S2 Concept' in France. Not cheap though - about 85 Euros a rim :shock:
Found it in the current issue of Supermoto magazine.
Fil

Postby DEmark » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:02 pm

I've broke spokes in TWO different, factory laced, 18" rear wheels on my Baghira Enduro, but I am pretty hard on stuff. The parts situation is pretty reasonable, I can generally get anything in a week or two with a phone call to a dealer. I use Bikeworx (Boston), Spare Parts (Philly), Allsport Cycles (Roanoke), or Mid America Powersports (Independence MO). You stand a real good chance of not needing anything from a dealer. In the 47000 miles I put on my Skorpion the only dealership part I bought was the rubber thingie that protects the swingarm from the chain. Where's Nutley NJ?
DEmark

Breakin' the spokes

Postby Phatmac » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:24 pm

DEmark wrote:I've broke spokes in TWO different, factory laced, 18" rear wheels on my Baghira Enduro, but I am pretty hard on stuff.

Where's Nutley NJ?

Ah ha! Someone is busting spokes! Of course the more I read, I'm more likely to bust spokes being rear-ended by a minivan, or buckling the spokes under my own body weight.

Nutley, NJ is just west of New York City (12 miles from Midtown), it's North of Newark. I can't wait to get away from the New Jersey experiment and get back to Cleveland, Ohio where I grew up.
Phatmac

Postby jcrocker » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:17 pm

Buy it,, it's sweet !!
jcrocker

Return to 660 cc