My nipples are too big!!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

My nipples are too big!!

Postby Fil » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:26 pm

Further to my last post, I am rebuilding my 17 inch Mastiff wheels with stainless spokes and have hit a bit of a problem...

I had the spokes made up well over 12 months ago, and I'd finally got round to stripping the wheels in preparation for the rebuild.

The problem is that the guy who made the spokes has made them with nipples that are too big to pass through the holes in the rim :(
Can I get the holes in the rim drilled out to fit the nipples, or should I go back to the spoke guy and wait another 3 months to get a new set made?
Fil

Postby phlat65 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:36 pm

how much too big? if you drill out the rim, will there be enough of a dimple left to accept the nipple ball?

why don't you just buy some excells, or other aftermarket wheel now. could only be 150 or so for a new rim.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Nipples

Postby boysie » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:47 am

Yes, you can drill the rims for larger nipples,,, I had mine rebuilt a couple of years ago and the wheel builder had the same problem, i also had the rims anodised, but as stated previously, it may be worth thinking about a new rim as the standard rims are heavy and not very round, they tend to be quite out of shape where there welded and you cannot pull them straight with the spokes without risking braking the hub
boysie

Postby Fil » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:07 am

Just to give you an update - I took the hubs, spokes & rims to a wheelbuilders, and they drilled out the rims and rebuilt the wheels. I put the wheels back on the bike, and it looks to me as if the centreline of the back wheel is closer to the left hand side than the right. Has anyone else had this problem? I gave the wheel builder all the spacers, cushdrive etc so they could get it true....
Fil

Postby boysie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:46 pm

Yes this is the dish and is best measured with a steel rule placed flat across the disc and measure the distance to the rim on a standard wheel then go back to your builder to adjust as needed
boysie

Postby Fil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:30 am

Is there any chance someone can give me this measurement from a standard rear wheel please??
Could I also have the same measurement for the front too, so I can get both checked...
Fil

Re: Nipples

Postby cat » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:54 am

boysie wrote:Yes, you can drill the rims for larger nipples,,, I had mine rebuilt a couple of years ago and the wheel builder had the same problem, i also had the rims anodised, but as stated previously, it may be worth thinking about a new rim as the standard rims are heavy and not very round, they tend to be quite out of shape where there welded and you cannot pull them straight with the spokes without risking braking the hub

hell, I thought the Behr rims were supposed to be good - now it turns out they're not.
cat

Postby Fil » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:18 pm

Mine seem to be pretty round and true after the rebuild. The only problem is that the wheel builder didn't centre them on the hubs properly...
Fil

Return to 660 cc