Tires for Skorpion Sport

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Tires for Skorpion Sport

Postby tsrzad » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:39 pm

It time for new sneakers and I thought I'd get some feedback from the experts.

I have a '95 Skorpion Sport tuned with a pipe (M4) and soon, suspension, too. I 60% urban commute, 40% backroad scratching, 100% in the San Francisco area. I will be commuting in the rain, but not every day.

I am looking at Pirelli Diablo Stradas to replace my worn out Michelin Pilots. I've heard they are quite grippy for having a more sport-touring life span.

Also, should I experiment with changing sizes/profiles? I know it makes a difference with most bikes, and with some, straying from stock can spoil the handling altogether.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ted
MZ Skorpion Sport 1995 (yellow and LOUD)

cars are coffins
tsrzad

Postby whysub01 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:55 am

On my Sport I used to commute 120 miles a day to and from work, which was 80 miles motorway (freeway) 30 miles of city roads, and 10 miles of country lanes. Unfortunately, my job means i have to use a work car/van/bike now, and rarely use my own. But these are the tyres I have used

1. Bridgestone 020. Good tyre, but slow to warm up (the first 5 miles of my daily trip is on the back lanes, and tyres are just getting warm by the start of the motorway. Grip well on city streets, and fair in the wet. Wear not too bad, about 2,500 miles out of a rear (but this was because it was squared off)

2. Bridgestone 014. Great tyres, warm very quickly, and inspire confidence but had to be a little bit cautious in the wet, as they felt less grippy than the 020. Major downside is that the rear was completely squared off and down to the wear markers within 1250 miles.

3. Michelin Macadam 90. Err, not great. Take an absolute age to warm up, grip is not good, but does stay the same level wet or dry (rode no slower in the wet). The main advantage is that they wear very well, and if I were to be riding everyday, these would be my commuting choice. I think the rear would last easily 7,000 miles . Incidentally, had these on my GSX-R750, and the rear lasted 10,000 miles, but different power delivery.

4. Dunlop hand cut slicks (medium compound). Horrible, just horrible. Maybe fantastic for the track, but didn't suit my bike on public roads at all. Warmed up well, they simply got too hot and the grip just went. Thank God I never took these on the motorway. Not recommended.

5. Dunlop 207GP. Not bad. Wore OK, warmed up OK, OK in the wet. Bit "loose" in a straight line though, Not my favourite.

6. Bridgestone 082 (I think). Currently the road tyre I am using, and pretty good all round. Nice and grippy on the side, and harder compound down the centre. A great compromise of wear and grip. Back still fine after around 1800 miles.

My one advantage is having two sets of wheels. I will have a set of Macadams on one (I may have to start commuting again soon) and a pair of 014's on the other fo non commuting rides. Can swap wheels now in less than 10 minutes. Plus I always have a set of legal tyres on one set if I wear the other pair out, and have no immediate money to change them.

Personally, I would not start messing about with changing the sizes. The 082 rear looks lots wider that the Macadam 90, although they are the same size. Pressures are more critical. I can run the Macadams at 36F/40R psi and they feel fine, but the 014's were muchbetter at 32F/32R. Try dropping/raising pressures by a couple of psi at a time-you will feel the difference. Take what the manufacturers say as a guide to start.

I have 014's on my Baggi, and they are really, really good, but that gets ridden differently than my Sport does!!
Becoming A Track Day Addict. Baggi Well On The Way To Completion. Well, One DAy Closer................
whysub01

Postby old paul » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:55 am

You might also consider the Metzler Tourance. I had them on a BMW GS and loved them. They are on my Mastiff as well, but I'm too new on that bike to talk about it.
Motorcycling used to be my second favorite thing, but now that I've become an old man, it's moved up a notch.
old paul

Tires recommendation

Postby Chayanne » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:06 am

I have a Skorpion Tour 2002, my use is continuos, Hot tropical environment (Mayaguez, Puerto Rico) every day rain....For my case the best results are from the original tires METZELER in the original sizes. Beacause this type of motorcycle was design as dual purpose street bike.

Actually I'm using the Metzeler M880 and have excellent performance. For me are the best tires in the market.
Chayanne
Chayanne

Tires recommendation

Postby Chayanne » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:07 am

I have a Skorpion Tour 2002, my use is continuos, Hot tropical environment (Mayaguez, Puerto Rico) every day rain....For my case the best results are from the original tires METZELER in the original sizes. Beacause this type of motorcycle was design as dual purpose street bike.

Actually I'm using the Metzeler M880 and have excellent performance. For me are the best tires in the market.
Chayanne
Chayanne

Postby tsrzad » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:27 pm

Thanks for the comments. it seems the Metzeler M-1 is the only sticky, decent mileage one out there that comes in the stock sizes: 110/70 and 150/60.

The Pirellis Diablo Stradas come in 120/70 and 160/60; will I spoil the cream if I go with this slight extra width?

cars are coffins
tsrzad

Postby MuzzinMo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:55 am

Hi there!

Just take the ususal Pirelli Diablos, which are the same tires as the Metzeler M1-Sportechs, just using a different tire profile and maybe a different rubber compound as they seem to last a little longer. They are awesome in everyday riding and a huge step forward compared to the original MEZ-1 rubbers. In trackday use they tend to drift with the front tire. But as they have a steep contour, there will always be a "line of fear" on side your rear tire 8) Now I'm using a Yamaha TZR 4.5 inch rim, which fits perfectly to the Pirellis (and all 150s).

If you need sticky tires, go for the Bridgestone 090, as they were built for lightweight machines (250-2strokes/400-4strokes, singles, supermotos), are pretty close to a raceday tire. There's also a Pro-compound available, but the usual compound is already very competitive and is an excellent rain tire, considering the nice track-inspired profile. Moreover the price of this modern tire is very competitive. Sure, they won't last for ever :twisted:

Pirelli rear tire:
[img]http://www.bottger.de/mzskorpion/bilder/galerie_3/hockh_nov04_3.jpg[/img]

Bridgestone front tire:
[img]http://www.bottger.de/mzskorpion/bilder/galerie_3/hockh_nov04_4.jpg[/img]

MZ rocks the world!

Mirko Römer
from http://www.mzskorpion.de
MuzzinMo

Postby MuZZeR » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:28 pm

Hi,

I use Dunlop D205 GP RR in size 120/60/17 front and 160/60/17 rear.
They are awsom and much better then the D207 I had befor, specialy on secundary roads and track.
Just do not know what they'll do this winter.

Greetz

MuZZeR 8)
Last edited by MuZZeR on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
naked, naked ,naked and low

the Skorpion Cafe Racer
MuZZeR

Postby sghonda » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:00 pm

MuZZeR,
Did 120/60/17 front and 160/70/17 rear tires fit on stock rims?

MuzzinMo,
where did you get this exhaust pipe?
sghonda

Postby MuZZeR » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:43 am

Hi,

The 160 and 120 fits @ the original rims, no problem @ all :D .
I know the bike you show @ the pic, it's a Willy "snaps" Romer special tuned Skorpion with ex Ducati Termignoni exhaust pipes.
So "Hi Willy!!"

Greetz

MuZZeR
naked, naked ,naked and low

the Skorpion Cafe Racer
MuZZeR

Postby MuzzinMo » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:28 am

Hi Muzzer!

Nice to meet/read you "over here"! :-)

Yes, it's my dad's bike, I'll give him your regards, thanks. The dual 39mm downpipes were made by Tim Barker from http://www.barkersbars.com and the pipes were derived from a Laverda 650/668. And in fact, it works as good as it looks (+5-6hp). The stock downpipes seem to be the biggest power enforcer, that's the way to start in finding some more ponies. We're just having a funny conversation about all kinds of exhaust styles on our german webpage, have a look @ http://www.mzskorpion.de if you're capable of German :? . Otherwise just enjoy the pictures! 8)

See ya, Mirko
MuzzinMo

Postby tsrzad » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:32 pm

thanks for all the comments. I ended up going with Pirelli Diablos in 110/70 and 150/65 (stock I think). I asked about going up to 120/65 and 160/60, but due to the width of the stock rims, my mechanic felt the profile would be too crowned.

I have to say that the new tires ROCK. my bike is transformed. best $300 i've spent in a while.

Man, MuzzinMo, those high pipes look good! I have an M4 can, but I think my downpipes are stock. I'm going to look into yours...

Thanks again,

Ted

cars are coffins
tsrzad

Return to 660 cc