Test Ride! 2005 BP Height reduced Moto - more questions

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Test Ride! 2005 BP Height reduced Moto - more questions

Postby Phatmac » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:45 am

:-D :-D :-D
Test rides and motorcycle dealers don't usually go together in my mind (with the exception of the Harley dealers and some rural dealers). So after spending a lunch hour drooling over the BP that has been on the floor of my local dealer since March, admiring the grease nipples on the swingarm and the overall thoughtful design, my dealer offered to schedule a test ride. :shock:

My point of reference: I currently ride the venerable '86 Suzuki 450L, whose air-cooled parallel twin originated in the GS400 back in '77 and continues on in the GS500E/F. It needs to be revved quite a bit, maybe 3000 of its 9500 rpm redline with a smooth clutch to get rolling nicely in first (RPM approximate guage cluster retired long ago, replaced with bicycle speedo).

The Baghira pulls like a Jeep! I'm not sure I needed to give it any throttle to get it rolling in first--neato. Are any of you using your baggi's for farm chores? Pulling stumps for the neighbors? Loved it.

I was surprised by the vibes--the only singles I've ridden have been of the 2-smoker 50cc variety, power pulse for sure, I thought I was sitting on a vibrator initially--but I don't remember that continuing through the ride--I like to know that the engine is there without having to hear it.

Speaking of sound, I certainly did not hear the BP at all during the ride. The dealer was riding a monster 96ci S&S motored chopper that left me with only 45-degree V-twin aural reference. I made one or two passes in the parking lot after the ride, and the BP was downright polite.

I had the arm vents of my Joe Rocket jacket open and on the highway, I was initially gripping the bars too hard, making the front end suceptible to the inputs of the wind. As soon as I loosened my grip, it was clear flying from then on.

I liked it, maybe more than I thought I would. :twisted:

Here are my questions (finally):

1. I am 6'3" 270lbs. I felt very comfortable on the Reduced Height model. I expect the be riding 98% on the street. Are there advantages/disadvantage to going with one height versus the other.

2. The handlebar position is less than ideal. They need to go up for sure. I know thre are risers to go up and toward the rider. Can these be used to go up and away? What are guys/gals? of similar stature set-up with?
[As a reference, I love the handgrip position of the DL650 V-strom]

3. What is a reasonable price OTD? I know MSRP is in the $6k range, in March, without asking, the dealer offered the bike at $5,500. I've seen new '05s for $4,995 on Cycletrader. I'm not out to stick it to the dealer, but supply exceeds demand due to local demand and obscuity of the marque.

Regards,

Ryan
Phatmac

Re: Test Ride! 2005 BP Height reduced Moto - more questions

Postby old paul » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:51 am

[quote="Phatmac
2. The handlebar position is less than ideal. They need to go up for sure. I know thre are risers to go up and toward the rider. Can these be used to go up and away? What are guys/gals? of similar stature set-up with?
[As a reference, I love the handgrip position of the DL650 V-strom]
[/quote]

I'm too new to the brand (with a Mastiff) to answer any but #2. A reminder that these are standard 7/8" bars, so you can go to any cycle aftermarket store and buy just about any configuration you want. I normally figure out while riding, where my hands want to be, and then figure out how much higher/lower and forward/backward that is. Then measure the elevation and reach of current bars to calculate what you want. Cheap and easy fix.
Motorcycling used to be my second favorite thing, but now that I've become an old man, it's moved up a notch.
old paul

Postby phlat65 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:16 pm

th eHR does make a better handling street bike, and does ok on dirt roads, the full height can be hollied more, but is less confidence inspiring riding hard on asphalt. ( I have had both suspensions, currently full height)

remember, any good suspension guy could lower the bike for $300 or so, you cannot raise a HR.

I run pro taper, CR high bend.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Return to 660 cc