melted indicator!!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

melted indicator!!

Postby F0ul_Oli » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:46 pm

I just thought I should share my dilema!

I have been working on my bike over the past few weeks to make it look nice - (put the first pictures in the Album) and decided I would take it to work today (40 miles, mostly motorway 70-80 mph)

Anyway, I got to work, and thought there was something wrong when the indicator didnt work - parked up, and smelled the problem - the newly placed exhaust (before I moved it back, I had burnt the numberplate!) had destroyed the indicator - it is just a mass of molten plastic!!

Is this a problem for anyone else?

Im thinking of going down the car indicator route I think I saw on here previously - but I dont want those to melt as well so was hoping I might get some tips before I start drilling!

F0ul Oli
I will only run out of ways of modify the Baggy when it weighs less that 100 kg and runs 100 bhp at the back wheel!!

http://www.businessandit.co.uk - putting the IT in Profit!
F0ul_Oli

Postby whysub01 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:03 pm

Mine kept melting the rear plate-until I got an alloy one.

The Carbon Can I have could be moved up a bit-but I would have to remount te indicator.

If it's not one thing, it's another............
Becoming A Track Day Addict. Baggi Well On The Way To Completion. Well, One DAy Closer................
whysub01

Postby DEmark » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:08 am

I melted a hole in my airbox right where the m4 collector passes by it. I'm running a dual sport event in the pine barrens in two weeks. Gonna have to seal the hole somehow. I anticipate some water crossings...
DEmark

Postby phlat65 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:45 pm

I melted a hole in my air box too. bought some self adheasive heat barrier from MSR, designed for 4 stroke MX bikes. cleaned the edges of the melted area, cut peices that would cover the whole side dished area, and applied. my ywin pipe header comes within 1 mm when hot, and it has not melted any more. I also applied the stuff to the inside of the side panels, to keep the heat off, my wife was complaining of her legs getting pretty warm. it came in a 3ft sqare sheet for $20 or so.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby old paul » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:52 pm

Just as an aside to your melted light problem, I was out to day with a couple guys on BMW F650s and noticed that the turn signals are exactly the same as ours.
Motorcycling used to be my second favorite thing, but now that I've become an old man, it's moved up a notch.
old paul

Postby keithcross » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:58 pm

The indicators fitte to tehe MZ are the same as many Ducati's, Triumph's and even some scooters. One scotter that sells in teh UK has the same indicators fitted with a wire prtector fitted as well. Looks kinda neat for off road. I will find out who make s this sctter and what model it is.
Switchgear is also used on a lot of different bikes including similar ones on some Honda Fireblades.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby F0ul_Oli » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:17 pm

Ive been around some of the motorstores and been looking at some of the side indicators (for some reason, they seem to be called repeaters now) and I was warned that fitting car indicators wouldnt work because the voltage was different.

Anyone know if there is some uk law stating what wattage a rear indicator needs to be?

I would have thought with these new LED things coming in, that the wattage was irrelevant - but its good to check these things out!

f0ul Oli
I will only run out of ways of modify the Baggy when it weighs less that 100 kg and runs 100 bhp at the back wheel!!

http://www.businessandit.co.uk - putting the IT in Profit!
F0ul_Oli

Postby keithcross » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:23 pm

I am not aware of any minimum wattage quoted in the lighting regs in the UK. All light units should have the relevent E mark tough.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Return to 660 cc