new rider, have some questions

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

new rider, have some questions

Postby alex1206 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:04 am

hi
i am consider getting a MZ BAGHIRA.
i am a new rider. i have played around on my friends gsxr, r6, but nothign serious. i know how to ride but still need many many more hours of seat time.

is the MZ BAGHIRA an alright first bike to learn on? i live in the city now, boston, and know these bikes are good railers in traffic. very easy to manuever.

has maintainence been a problem?
oh yeah. im about 5'9, will height be a problem for me?

i appreciate anything you guys think would be appropriate for a new rider consider first purchase.

oh yeah. if i plan to stay i might as well contribute to the forum. i read some posts earlier with a few guys located in SF bay area. i am from there originally and used this site when i would take my car out on the back roads. im sure each of you have studied this site many times over, but for those who haven't, your welcome ;)

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

thanks
alex
alex1206

Postby phlat65 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:44 pm

yes I would very much recomend the baggy as a first bike. you will learn how to be a better rider, due to the lower HP. Maintenance has not been a problem, alot of parts are available at your local Yamaha or KTM dealer.
I change the oil every 2500 miles, tires about 4000 miles depending on brand, and have replaced 2 chains. mine has 13,800 miles and counting.

ask one of the SF guys for a possible test ride, someone may let you take a spin :D

I am 6ft, and don't have any issues with the height. My bike started life as a reduced height, but I converted it to full height last year.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby F0ul_Oli » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:27 pm

Rather than just say, yes, buy a baggy, as any owner will say - let me put it this way....

what you will get out of a baggy is the fun that the r6, gsxr rider is trying to find at a much higher speed! An R6 is a rev happy ego booster, and generally bought by people who dont know why they want a bike, except that is what their friends have!!

With a Baggy, you will get a bike that is cheap to run, easy to fix, easy to ride, make you feel great, and doesn t cost a fortune to fix if you drop it!

Its a little high if you are scared of heights, but its a great view!!

downsides - it will feel very strange to ride a race rep plus the accelleration over a hundered will be a new experiance, it isnt as comfortable as a tourer and the fuel range is tiny.

hope this will help

F0ul
I will only run out of ways of modify the Baggy when it weighs less that 100 kg and runs 100 bhp at the back wheel!!

http://www.businessandit.co.uk - putting the IT in Profit!
F0ul_Oli

Return to 660 cc