newbie here, looking at baghira

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

newbie here, looking at baghira

Postby e » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:00 pm

hello all, i've caught the dual sport bug. will use bike on street most of the time.

i've found a baghira in houston at mph motorcycles. (i think i've seen someone else post about it)

it's the baghira enduro, with the street moto wheels/tires swapped on.

and the guy said he has it height reduced currently but it can be "undone" in about 10 minutes.

it's black and at a great price (a little over 5k +ttl). What do you guys think? :)
e

Postby phlat65 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:14 pm

to "undo" a height reduced, takes a little longer than 10 min.!! I should know, I did mine.

here is what HAS to be changed:
Front forks are completely different.
front brake hose is longer
rear shock body has longer stroke.
rear suspension linkage "dog bones" are different (I think, changed mine anyways)
Kick stand is longer.

make sure he is not just doing a dog bone change. the full height forks have adjuster knobs on the top cap, and are not clear coated, where as the HR forks have no comp and rebound adjusters, and the lower legs are clear coated and shiny.

I also heard a rumor that the HR steering geometry is slightly different, and with experience of ridint the 2 bikes back to back (mine and Brians) I would agree. the stock full height seems to turn in quicker, and is a little less stable than the HR on the freeway. My HR converted to full height, still has great highway manors, and seems a little harder to flick, but I like it the way it is..
it is a great machine, just heavy for true dualsporting..
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby e » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:27 pm

That's good info to know.

Your comment, "make sure he is not just doing a dog bone change", has me wondering:

1. Is that a bad shortcut to lowering an originally full-height baghira?

2. If I actually want it full height, then would not this be good, since it means very little to undo the lowering?

Other then the wheels/tires, is there anything really different between the enduro and street moto versions? (I'm wondering since this baghira is originally an enduro)

Thanks again,
e
e

Re: newbie here, looking at baghira

Postby cat » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:44 am

e wrote:i've found a baghira in houston at mph motorcycles. (i think i've seen someone else post about it)

it's the baghira enduro, with the street moto wheels/tires swapped on.

it's black and at a great price (a little over 5k +ttl). What do you guys think? :)

what year? what mileage?
cat

Postby e » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:24 am

It's new. I think it's an 05.

e
e

Postby cat » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:57 am

e wrote:it's black and at a great price (a little over 5k +ttl). What do you guys think?e

?

e wrote:It's new. I think it's an 05.
e

!!!! you're lucky. :!:
cat

Postby F0ul_Oli » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:39 pm

e wrote:That's good info to know.

Your comment, "make sure he is not just doing a dog bone change", has me wondering:

1. Is that a bad shortcut to lowering an originally full-height baghira?

2. If I actually want it full height, then would not this be good, since it means very little to undo the lowering?

Other then the wheels/tires, is there anything really different between the enduro and street moto versions? (I'm wondering since this baghira is originally an enduro)

Thanks again,
e

I think the point thatś being made is that if you just want to change the height, you can just change the dogleg (a little piece of metal that connects the rear suspension to the frame.
But if you do that only, the suspension wont be set up the way it should be set up and youĺl wonder why were all all going on about such a great bike - and you have a dog!!

F0ul
I will only run out of ways of modify the Baggy when it weighs less that 100 kg and runs 100 bhp at the back wheel!!

http://www.businessandit.co.uk - putting the IT in Profit!
F0ul_Oli

Postby e » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:43 pm

ah. that makes sense. thanks!

e
e

Postby phlat65 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:17 pm

yes, by lowering a full height with just dogbones, you are changing the rear shock stroke ratio, and doing nothing with the front forks.
1 inch would not be to big of a deal, but any more than that, and the bike will become pretty unballanced. lowering the rear will in effect change the steering angle, making the bike very lazy, and shift the weight ballance rearward.

any competent suspension could properly lower the suspension by making spacers to limit the shock and fork stroke evenly, which for an on road only bike would work really well.

and yes, if they lowered a full height with dog bones only, then that is a good thing!

have you ridden one yet?
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby e » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:56 pm

I have not ridden one yet.

But I'll be riding it tomorrow. and the next day, and the next....

I GO GET HER TOMORROW!!!!

:smt041 :smt041 :smt041
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043
:smt111 :smt111 :smt111
:smt114 :smt114 :smt114

Headed for Houston in the morning. Going to get the Baghira at MPH.

Then I'm taking a buddy over to Ft. Worth to look at a used Mastiff, in the near future.

Trailer's already hooked up to the Civic.

Christmas is coming early boys!!!

e
e

fished !!!!!hook line and sinker

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:37 am

bet you buy an other mz of some model in the next 2 years to go with this one :smt018

i know i did rt125 in july 2oo2 and a 1995 saxon tour in
oct 2003

befor that a bmw in 1980 used 23 year gap
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to 660 cc