Oily-tailed Skorpion

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Oily-tailed Skorpion

Postby AndyDent » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:06 am

My recently-adopted Skorpion Sport is regularly leaking oil at the rear, dripping down from the tank under the pillion seat.

The bike has about 7,000km on it but looks a bit neglected (1999 model sold in 2002) and I'm not sure if the dealer selling it put in too much oil.

I checked the oil as per the owner's manual and it seemed to be about medium between the marks. I thought at first it was just excess oil dripping out but it is still going. I'm also not terribly encouraged by the oil landing on the rear tyre (stupid question - is engine oil likely to damage a tyre if a few drops are sitting there for a couple of days, enough to make a patch a few cm across?)

My next step is to go pulling out hoses and looking for a split.

I'm working two or three jobs at present and apart from being short of time, only just ordered the workshop manual. It's also about 7 years since I was on a bike and pulling one apart so I'm being lazy/super-cautious and thought I'd ask first.

Besides, it's dark outside and I'm just finishing off a very nice 2001 blueberry port and felt like talking about bikes for a change instead of software :-)
AndyDent

Postby phlat65 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:12 pm

I think we covered this topic a couple years ago, you may want to use the search feature on the main screen. Good luck with it!!
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby AndyDent » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Thanks, found it

http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?t ... t=oil+leak

Good reminder to check the Mechanics forum as well as the 660 forum!
AndyDent

Re: Oily-tailed Skorpion

Postby AndyDent » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:16 pm

AndyDent wrote:My recently-adopted Skorpion Sport is regularly leaking oil at the rear, dripping down from the tank under the pillion seat.

My next step is to go pulling out hoses and looking for a split.

My daughter pointed out it was still covered under 2nd-hand dealer warranty so I took it in for that and the electrical issues.

Yes, the return hose was comprehensively split in at least two places!
AndyDent

Postby salo_t » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:35 pm

I had this same problem when I first picked up my Skorpion. Dont fret its only the oil return hose that runs under the left hand side panel. The hose had come apart where it clamped to the plastic oil reservoir. Change the hose or cut away the damaged piece of hose, reclamp and you should be good to go.
97 Skorpion Traveller
salo_t

Return to 660 cc