Help! Can't start my new Baghira.

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Help! Can't start my new Baghira.

Postby e » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:48 pm

I'm such a newb. I've been spoiled by Honda fuel injection, starts first time everytime.

Just brought the new Baghira home. She's an 03 with 27 miles. I can't tell which way the choke rotates for full choke or none.

Is that little symbol an arrow or a meter? i.e. does the fat part mean more choke, and the skinny tip of the "arrow" mean less choke?

anyway, battery is close to not being able to turn her over.

aye caramba!

my civic is right next to her. can the baggy be jump started?

btw, she started right after i took her off the trailer, but then i twisted the choke, bringing the top toward me. I think know in hindsight, that sets choke to full, the bike died, and I smelled fuel.

Now I don't smell fuel, but she won't light.

:smt100
e

Postby e » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:52 pm

update: i set the choke to "off" (i think...top pushes foward all the way), and I held throttle wide open and cranked her.

I think I need to jumpstart. It's turning over sloooowwwwly now.

e
e

Postby e » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:53 pm

got her hooked up to the civic (car is off). she turns over strong, but won't fire.

i've got choke off i think. (top is rolled forward)

tried turning over with throttle wide open to clear (per other posts i noticed)

then tried without throttle.

no love. :cry:

letting her sit now.
e

Postby e » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:02 pm

DOHHHHH!

fuel petcock.

all is well. i'm soo stupid. nothing like excitement to make you forget simple things.
e

starting

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:55 pm

some of the bikes have a fuel petcock that is not labeled correctly

also do not open throttle when trying to start bike
both my rotax powered saxon tour and rt125 get very upset
if you open throttle when trying to start them
:-D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby phlat65 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:18 pm

you turn the choke lever away from you at the top, oposite of opening the throttle, to turn it on. once the bike starts, you can turn the choke off after about 5-10 seconds, and it should idle normally.

4-strokes do not like throttle when trying to start. the velocity of air through the carb is too low to pull the correct mixture through the high speed circuits, always start at closed throttle.

the owners manual says no need to wait for the bike to warm up, just ride away at medium revs. I like to let mine warm up while I put on the helmet and gloves.

since your bike sat soo long, I would Highly recomend changing the oil right away, there have been cases of Baghiras draining fuel into the crank case diluting the engine oil supply.

welcome to the club. hope you like the new ride!!

the first day I got mine, the wife and I took it to a 7:05 Mariners game in the rain, had no rain gear to speak of then, but still had a great time :D
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby keithcross » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:04 am

As with the above post I dont recommend starting the bike with any throttle. Apart from air flow etc, it has been know for the engine to spit back when starting and set fire to the air filter :shock:

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Return to 660 cc