Removing the carbs???

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Removing the carbs???

Postby Fil » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:02 am

Is it possible to remove the carbs without having to remove the subframe on a Baggy/Mastiff?

My bike's been laid up for a while and it stalls if I open the throttle past idle, so I need to investigate further....
Fil

Postby F0ul_Oli » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:18 pm

ur better off working on it without taking it off first.

Carbs are such a pain to set up off the bike - especially when you find out the problem could have been fixed with the carb in place!!

You might only have to take the top off and replace the diafram.

(I hate working on carbs!!)

F0ul Oli
I will only run out of ways of modify the Baggy when it weighs less that 100 kg and runs 100 bhp at the back wheel!!

http://www.businessandit.co.uk - putting the IT in Profit!
F0ul_Oli

Postby keithcross » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:45 pm

You can get the carbs off of a Baghira without removing the sub frame. Its a right pig of a job as they are so tight in the frame.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby DEmark » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:48 pm

Collapse the carb to airbox rubber booties and pull them into the airbox, then you will have some room to remove the carbs...
DEmark

Postby phlat65 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:50 pm

I have not done this on the baggy yet, but on my dirtbike, I remove the lower subframe bolts, loosen the upper bolt, and pivot the whole thing up, including the airbox.

you may have to only remove the seat and side panels, then disconnect the exhaust to do this.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby cat » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:36 am

phlat65 wrote:I have not done this on the baggy yet, but on my dirtbike, I remove the lower subframe bolts, loosen the upper bolt, and pivot the whole thing up, including the airbox.

you may have to only remove the seat and side panels, then disconnect the exhaust to do this.

mm. it sounds like it would be easier to remove the subframe - if this way of yours doesn't work.

on my KDX i struggled - big-time to get the airbox out; next time i'll try loosening the subframe.
cat

Postby Fil » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:16 am

Thanks for the tips guys!
I managed to get the carbs off by undoing the rubber/metal carb mounts (stubs? - not sure what you call them!) where they bolt to the engine, draining the water & removing the water pipe elbow that attaches to the RHS of the head, then pulling the carbs out from the RHS of the bike. To be honest, I wouldn't try doing that again as two of the the bolts holding the carbs to the head are almost impossible to get at.
I took the carbs to bits on the bench, and the float bowl on the left hand carb was so gummed up that the hole in the bottom of the main jet was completly blocked.... It's all cleaned up now, and I'm going to try and put them back on tonight.
Fil

Postby cat » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:24 am

Fil wrote:Thanks for the tips guys!
I managed to get the carbs off by undoing the rubber/metal carb mounts (stubs? - not sure what you call them!) where they bolt to the engine, draining the water & removing the water pipe elbow that attaches to the RHS of the head, then pulling the carbs out from the RHS of the bike. To be honest, I wouldn't try doing that again as two of the the bolts holding the carbs to the head are almost impossible to get at.

so do you think it would have been easier to do it phlat's way, from the back?
cat

Postby Fil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:06 am

Man, it's not easy trying to get the carbs on and off one these bikes!! I think the biggest problem (apart from lack of space) is that it is very hard to pull the carbs out of the rubber inlet stubs that attach to the head. Thankfully it is easier to get them back on again! I managed to do the whole operation with the subframe in place, but in hindsight I think I would recommend taking off the subframe to remove them. Unless you are a gynaecologist with masochistic tendencies and hands like monkey paws...
The upside is that it seems to be running fine now, so it was worth is in the end. Just wish I'd put a stage one kit in the carbs whilst they were off the bike :-D
Fil

Postby cat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:18 am

Fil wrote:Man, it's not easy trying to get the carbs on and off one these bikes!! I think the biggest problem (apart from lack of space) is that it is very hard to pull the carbs out of the rubber inlet stubs that attach to the head.

put a film of grease on them - water-resistant grease, like nice blue Yamalube, or silicone spray. for next time - but it's probably too late. :)
cat

Return to 660 cc