tunebike.de -- what is this carb spacer thing?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

tunebike.de -- what is this carb spacer thing?

Postby cat » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:50 am

what *is* this thing?
why not just replace the 'swollen' diaphragm?

quote translated by Babelfish from
http://www.tunebike.de/Deutsch/Competit ... gaser.html :

For the MZ Serien vergaser: The carburetor kit for the compensation of the diaphragm swelling, which leads to power loss! At the same time the responsing mode is improved substantially, the motorcycle reacts many more spontaneously and more directly. Are contained in the kit adjustment instruction, nozzle drills, spacer ring, Stolperrohr and screws. Are continued to need (do not contain): Drill 5mm, silicone sealing compound. Several times with best results in series and Stufe1-Motoren tested. Nearly as well as a flat slide!
Attachments
CarbKit0001.jpg
CarbKit0001.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
cat

Postby keithcross » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:58 pm

I think this ring clamps the diapragm in the right hand carb better. Not to sure though, try emialing Bernard at tunebike and asking him. He is a very helpful chap.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

cv carb

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:43 pm

hello

it may be a spacer to adjust the diaphram so the slide is moved by the vacume to a better location for proper fuel and air mix

the one thing i did really like about my BMW R90s was 28 years
of no working on BING CV carbs :-D
it had delortho's and i never did any thing to them but clean the float bowls
the saxon tour has a bing cv and it is a pain in the butt ....it idles at a different speed every day
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby cat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:57 am

keithcross wrote:I think this ring clamps the diapragm in the right hand carb better. Not to sure though, try emialing Bernard at tunebike and asking him. He is a very helpful chap.

Keith

i eventually saw their English translation, which was better. they say 'enlargement' of the diaphragm. your theory sounds good, but 'swelling' or 'enlargement' suggests the need for a new diaphragm. but the kit also includes jet drills and a replacement venturi tube, so there's more to it than just the diaphragm.
cat

Re: cv carb

Postby cat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:06 am

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:hello

it may be a spacer to adjust the diaphram so the slide is moved by the vacume to a better location for proper fuel and air mix

the one thing i did really like about my BMW R90s was 28 years
of no working on BING CV carbs :-D
it had delortho's and i never did any thing to them but clean the float bowls
the saxon tour has a bing cv and it is a pain in the butt ....it idles at a different speed every day

i've got an R100GS - although i only rode it a couple of weeks before it became a 'project'. (i spent thousands on new OEM parts and other things like a Nissin master cylinder and better lights and so on, but i haven't had the time to get working on it.)

i was amazed at how heavy those carbs are. my friend said "the Bings, they're good if you need a hammer at the side of the road, that's about all." :)

i did, in the few weeks i rode it, experience the other thing about them - on the BMW -- how they feel when they hit your leg.

and one of them, i could not get the main jet out.
yeah, you can imagine how well the airheads must go with Mikuni conversions.
cat

Postby Fil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:05 am

I think the spacer just moves the diaphram up a little higher in relation to the carb (I would guess it goes under the diaphram). I think the purpose of doing this to reduce the 'pull' on the carb slide (the bit with the needle in) as it moves higher up the carb. As the slide moves up (with wider throttle openings), the diaphram will have to stretch that little bit more, thus putting more resistance on the slide as it tries to move higher.
I could be completely wrong of course!!
Fil

Postby cat » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:19 am

Fil wrote:I think the spacer just moves the diaphram up a little higher in relation to the carb (I would guess it goes under the diaphram). I think the purpose of doing this to reduce the 'pull' on the carb slide (the bit with the needle in) as it moves higher up the carb. As the slide moves up (with wider throttle openings), the diaphram will have to stretch that little bit more, thus putting more resistance on the slide as it tries to move higher.
I could be completely wrong of course!!

<sigh> i was never good at carbs. i think EFI is much easier to understand. ..... by 'enlargement' and 'swelling' maybe he (the German writer) meant the stretching you're talking about. that makes sense. better throttle response / "more direct" ... the initial sudden opening of the throttle, the initial resistance of the diaphragm [before the pressure builds up] would be slightly less. but it would also - being slightly higher - make the mixture richer at the closed position. ? :-)
cat

Return to 660 cc