Spongy Brakes??

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Postby whysub01 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:11 am

keithcross wrote:Whysub

Will the VFR 750 caliper and bracket fit straight on teh Baggi? I have tried a few 4 piston calipers but they seem to foul the front wheel spokes.

Keith

Keith

I have no idea. I bought the caliper and hand crafted titanium mounting bracket from Stu (MZ-Pog on Visordown) when he took it off of his Mastiff. I have never attempted to fit it, nor even hold it up against the forks to check the bracket holes match! Ithink the Mastiff and Baghira have the same fork bottoms though (at least I hope they do).

I can always send you a template of the bracket that will enable a VFR caliper to fit. According to Stu, it works superbly.

I find it funny that my Sport brakes are so much better, even though the master cylinder appears to be the same.
Becoming A Track Day Addict. Baggi Well On The Way To Completion. Well, One DAy Closer................
whysub01

Postby keithcross » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:03 am

Please do send me a template for this caliper. I wuld check the calpier clears the spoke though as with the standar disc a Yamaha 4 cylinder caliper wont.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby whysub01 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:27 am

Keith-Working today AND tomorrow, so will copy the bracket outline on some car, as well as measurements.

Or, seeing that I am in no imediate need of it, I could send you the caliper and bracket so that yoou can make sure it fits-and it will be easier to copy the bracet.

The tuned motor Ihave had built is going into my Sport, and having the Baggi motor done to the same spec in the New Year, so I'll fit the brake on whilst the motor is away.

Taking the Baggi to Corsica at Easter, so it all needs to be done and set up by then(which means it will be finished the day before!).

PM me your address and I'll sort it when the PO is open again. Have a great Christmas!!!

Col
Becoming A Track Day Addict. Baggi Well On The Way To Completion. Well, One DAy Closer................
whysub01

Postby Fil » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:28 pm

Ok guys,
I tried the following -
Pumping the brakes with the M.Cyl cap off.
Tying the brake lever to the bar overnight.
Removing the caliper and pads and pumping out the pistons enough to clean them (they were as good as new with virtually no crud on them).

And....

...it made no difference!

The brakes work fine though, and have plenty of bite. Probably enough to stand it on it's nose if I was brave enough!!

The only thing I haven't done is back-bled the brakes, which I may try if I can get hold of the right kit to do it.
Fil

Postby LWS66 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:53 pm

Like many Triumph's, you may just have to accept the fact that this is how they are.....or go to switching master cylinders.
LWS66

Postby Fil » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:58 pm

I'm love to switch master cylinder and brake caliper for a decent 4 pot set up, but I don't want to pay £500 for one!!

I bought a Brembo 4 pot off ebay (from a Ducati Monster) for very little money, but it's too wide to clear the spokes...
Fil

Postby jbthumper » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:19 pm

maybe the secondary rubber seal on the M/C is out...
have you tried rebuilding it??

OEM Rebuild kit #8050751000; Retail = $ 15.88(US)
ref:http://mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=996
:smt033
jbthumper

Postby Sourcer » Sat May 27, 2006 9:04 pm

Something is wrong, the brake lever is touching the throttle grip. :shock:

Maybe I'm too strong. :P

I checked the oil level and it's fine, so what the heck is the problem? My bike is almost new, only 2700 km on the speedometer.
Sourcer

bad

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat May 27, 2006 11:51 pm

check to make sure no dirt covers the hole in the bottom of master cylinder reservoir so fluid can enter system
and brake unit at pads is not leaking

handle bar unit may be same as some bmw so rebuild kit may be a bmw item

make sure lever is making a full swing .... if it is short stroking it may
not kick back far enough to refill with fluid at the back end if its stroke

my rear brake on the rt125 was doing that today and i had fun getting
it to blead after a new set of pads
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Previous

Return to 660 cc