Spanner wrench

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Spanner wrench

Postby JSC_SLP » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:11 pm

The guy I bought my bike from didn't have the tool kit for it. Does anyone have an idea where I can come across a spanner wrench to adjust the rear suspension? I've been everywhere around the town in which I live and no one seems to have anything even close. I've even toyed with the idea of fabricating one.
2001 Skorpion Tour
JSC_SLP

Re: Spanner wrench

Postby cat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:33 am

JSC_SLP wrote:The guy I bought my bike from didn't have the tool kit for it. Does anyone have an idea where I can come across a spanner wrench to adjust the rear suspension? I've been everywhere around the town in which I live and no one seems to have anything even close. I've even toyed with the idea of fabricating one.

Hook spanners... specific ones like the WP one that comes with the bike, Progressive Suspension one I have that fits on a 3/8" drive and does not work very well [for me] because of the usual access problems, and I've seen an adjustable one.

There's one that is like a bent screwdriver with a blunted edge, and that's probably the best - unless you strip half the bike to get to the shock.

On my KDX I gave up with the spanner and used a steel rod, which was ok because the lock ring and adjuster ring are stamped steel. On the WP shock's alloy rings, you'd need an alloy drift.

If you need a picture of the stock one to make a template from, I'll post one, but I think it might be easier to modify a screwdriver, or get an alloy rod and square one end to fit the rings.

The main thing is to lubricate the thread with some spray oil.
cat

Postby phlat65 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:07 am

I also use the hammer and brass drift on my bikes. after you loosen the lock ring, with the rear wheel off the ground, you can usually turn the spring and get the ring to rotate.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby cat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:29 am

phlat65 wrote:I also use the hammer and brass drift on my bikes. after you loosen the lock ring, with the rear wheel off the ground, you can usually turn the spring and get the ring to rotate.

mm, I see I forgot to mention the hammer; it might have been confusing. :lol:
cat

Postby JSC_SLP » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was able to find one from BSA. I think I'll just order one from the UK and be done with it. $14.00 shipped that's not terrible and it'll be the right tool for the job. I'll try the spray lube also, thanks.
2001 Skorpion Tour
JSC_SLP

Postby DEmark » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:46 pm

I hope you didnt order the wrench yet. Somewhere in my garage I have a complete Skorpion tool kit, I will give it to you. I have been meaning to find it and respond to this thread but it has been a tough week. I got an infection in my right eye and cant see too well. Maybe tomorrow I will look. Do you need an owners manual too?
DEmark

Postby JSC_SLP » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:17 pm

Wow DEmark!! That's incredibly generous. I have not ordered the wrench yet and I was hoping I could find a better alternative! I am sorry to hear about your eye, hope it gets better soon.

Let me know if you can locate the kit (I have an owner's manual). Let me know what you need to cover shipping and packaging and I'll throw in a little extra $$ to cover a six-pack of your choice of beverages :-D

PM me and we can work out the details.
Thanks,

Jason
2001 Skorpion Tour
JSC_SLP

Return to 660 cc