10 Reasons

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

trade

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:10 pm

rode a 1974 BMW R90-s for 28 years and 479,000 miles
and still like the 500cc bmw's i have owned and the mz rt125 better
50 years this year riding bikes and i am a happy camper on the
RT125 most times the only reason i get the saxon tour out
is the ol' Lady wants to go also and with the both of us over 200lb
the rt125 is a bit under the BIG job .... but it has done it from time to time
the only time i have found bigger being better was a full pocket book
when paying the bills :-D

50hp is about right if you need to get in a hurry \

the saxon tour is about 30hp and runs faster than any human needs to go
on a motorcycle
ar dave

100 mph = 146 feet per sec. in the 1.6 sec it takes for you to decide
you need to apply the brakes you are 234 feet closer to the accident
and it will take almost that much more to stop
i like bikes but dont like buying them at estate sales :(
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Blathian » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:07 am

well im definetly not the guy in tennis shoes who cant turn :) i respect the road and my life. i enjoy riding, and even though i have no training, i rode dirt bikes for many years when i was younger. ive read the manuel and follow basic tips ive researched on the net. i feel i could deal with a situation better than half these old folks on gullwings and harley's.
Blathian

Postby keithcross » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:42 am

Blathian wrote:well im definetly not the guy in tennis shoes who cant turn :) i respect the road and my life. i enjoy riding, and even though i have no training, i rode dirt bikes for many years when i was younger. ive read the manuel and follow basic tips ive researched on the net. i feel i could deal with a situation better than half these old folks on gullwings and harley's.

I agree you might be able to, but remember that a lot of these riders have reached the time of life when they can know afford a big bike after many years of not having one. I belong to the Goldwing Club in the UK, serving on te national committee for many years and was suprised at the amount of owners who contacted me for advice on what bike to buy as they had never ridden a bike before, or what was the best metod of passing their test as they had just purchased a brand new 1800 Goldwing.
Plus a Harly ot Goldwing do not have any where near the performance of an R6, they are just heavy and tend to be ridden in a rather more sedate manner then a sports bike.
know I ride my 1500 Goldwing in a completly diffeernt manner to my Baggi, ie a lot more sedatly.
As I have said its your choice and you may ride it safely and at a spped that is not going to break any speed llimits. If you are howver like me (I have BTW owned and ridden bikes since I was 16 and am now 51) and find it hard not to use the performance at hand, then be very carful out there. Its a dangerous place for the experienced, let alone in-experienced rider.
Like I have said before, its you choice, but you did ask for reasons hy you should not get an R6.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby g.w.forrest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:39 am

[youv'e come to a sensible decision, ride the baggy motsa. have fun gain experience , and really think abought what you want from your bike. the r6 can become boring if you can't ride it towards its potential.. you can allways have fun on a 660 without too much risk. :D quote="Blathian"]good advice this is what im looking for. 2500 miles is my experience on the street so im very new yes. Ive talked with people on the R6 forum and its about 50/50, i dont intent to track ride at the moment , but maybe if i get more time. Most people say it depends on the riders discipline.
i consider my self to me old enough to ride at my level, even with the baggy, but i guess i just dont understand how FAST these r6's are. Just know its a general thought that it is THE bike of 2006. think im gonna ride the baggy the rest of the year and maybe get one in 07 used.[/quote]
[gazza,muz skorpion traveller owner,cagiva x tra raptor,& ducati 500 gtl.luv me muz !
g.w.forrest

Postby whysub01 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:10 pm

Or by all means buy a new R6, and let me know, as I can get hold of carb restrictors that will keep the R6 down to 33 bhp.All the looks, none of the real go until you get used to it.

But I'dstill go down the "ride the Baggi for the next year to get experience, then try out an R6" route. Like keith, although i do have use of the works 'Blade, it will get me banned, as restraint is difficult, and 120mph feels like 60. Until you have to brake or have a crash!

Good luck, but at least you are considering other things than just the cost, a thing that nmany Born Agains here do not consider.
Becoming A Track Day Addict. Baggi Well On The Way To Completion. Well, One DAy Closer................
whysub01

Previous

Return to 660 cc