Baghira engine relation

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baghira engine relation

Postby JT700 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:15 am

Is the engine in the Baghira more closely related to the Yamaha Raptor or the Grizzly in terms of carbeuration, drivetrain, internal components, etc. The reason im asking is im looking at raptor and grizzly clutch, carb, exhaust, and maintenance parts (oil filters, air filters) and things of this nature, and wasnt sure what i should look for.
JT700

Postby keithcross » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:24 pm

The Mz uses the same barrel and head as the raprtor. The bottom end is different as far as I know. Even the valves are differnet as are the carbs, although they will work if they fit.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Re: Baghira engine relation

Postby cat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:58 pm

JT700 wrote:Is the engine in the Baghira more closely related to the Yamaha Raptor or the Grizzly in terms of carbeuration, drivetrain, internal components, etc. The reason im asking is im looking at raptor and grizzly clutch, carb, exhaust, and maintenance parts (oil filters, air filters) and things of this nature, and wasnt sure what i should look for.

The oil filter is Yamaha part 4X7-13440-90, common to many XT models. (I think some of the XT models might have been available in the USA.)

The air filter is a Twin Air standard model. I haven't been able to find out what other bikes it is used in. You'd have to go by size. The Raptors and Grizzlys have different airboxes.

Carb parts: You want Teikei CV carb parts. I don't know what the quads use, but some current Yamaha TT-R models use them. (I think the TT-R230 is available in the USA.) The carb parts vendors online don't list any Teikei parts. Apparently some Mikuni jets fit. None of the aftermarket performance jet kit vendors list the MZ or the Yamaha 660 models.

I've looked at some of the exhausts for the Raptor 660 models. The mufflers would work (like any big 4-stroke single muffler would) but the connector pipe would be different. So you could use them if you had the connector pipe custom made. (I've been thinking about that, because none of the exhausts for the Baghira are so good; either the performance is doubtful or they don't fit nicely. I think a muffler for a KTM 640 would be good, if the connector pipe was properly done.)
cat

Postby keithcross » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:44 pm

The UK Dynojet dealers sell a carb kit for the MZ and XTZ carbs, bigger jets, new needle and a few other bits.
Hope this helps.

Keith
keithcross

Postby cat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:05 pm

keithcross wrote:The UK Dynojet dealers sell a carb kit for the MZ and XTZ carbs, bigger jets, new needle and a few other bits.
Hope this helps.
Keith

Yes! Sorry, I forgot about that. Maybe the other bits are drills for drilling out the...those air passages in the intake venturi, like the tunebike.de kit.
...I can't find the one for the MZ in the search, although I've got a .mht file I saved that's named like that.
There are springs (or a spring, it's not clear in the picture) and what look like float pins.

cat

Postby F0ul_Oli » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:22 pm

The big diffrence is the Titanium valves on the Raptor - connected to a different fueling ECU gives you an 11000 rev limit - and that is where the extra power can be found!

Not sure if doing the changes on the Baggy would make it ridable though!

F0ul Oli
I will only run out of ways of modify the Baggy when it weighs less that 100 kg and runs 100 bhp at the back wheel!!

http://www.businessandit.co.uk - putting the IT in Profit!
F0ul_Oli

Postby cat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:39 pm

F0ul_Oli wrote:The big diffrence is the Titanium valves on the Raptor - connected to a different fueling ECU gives you an 11000 rev limit - and that is where the extra power can be found!

Not sure if doing the changes on the Baggy would make it ridable though!

F0ul Oli

There're different models of the Raptor - I mean if the later ones have ECU. Ti valves would make it rev quicker but it wouldn't be much without doing everything - like the pumper carbs - as well. And Ti valves stretch.

Losing weight helps. I wonder how much it would reduce if all the engine mounting bolts, the fork clamp bolts, handlebar mount bolts ...with most of them replaced with Ti bolts. Ti's about half the weight of steel. 5kg? :-D
cat

Postby JT700 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:45 pm

I checked out the UK Dynojet site and found a jet kit for the Skorpion is this the same engine and carb as the Baggy?
JT700

Postby JT700 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:48 pm

You could probably lose 2-3 pounds if ALL the screws, bolts, nuts were replaced with Ti.
JT700

Postby JT700 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:04 pm

I was actually looking at a Jardine slip on pipe from dennis kirk. Its for street bikes but you can order it with different size mid pipes, I was thinking with a little work I could probably make one fit.
JT700

Postby keithcross » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Just for intrest, in the UK (dont know about anywhere else) the raptor is now a 700. Looked at specs and the bore is up yo 102mm giving 686cc. Barrel looks the same and 102mm piston is a normal kit for teh 660 engine. Therefore it should fit the MZ motor with no problems :)

Keith
keithcross

Postby JT700 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:16 pm

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... 301&mmyId=

#448812 might work if the mid pipe is long enough, then i would have a nice pipe that fit right up under the rear fender. and its cheap too!!!
JT700

Postby cat » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:03 pm

JT700 wrote:http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=403&productId=p447491&leafCatId=40301&mmyId=

#448812 might work if the mid pipe is long enough, then i would have a nice pipe that fit right up under the rear fender. and its cheap too!!!

I'm checking it out now. denniskirk are good, I've bought things from them several times. The website drives me nuts though.

ok... it looks like an average oval ss can. The slip-on connection is a disadvantage, it can leak easily and then you'll get backfiring or popping on deceleration. And you still need a good collector pipe.

Any muffler that isn't restrictive should be ok. Going by the exhausts for the KTM 640 and the 525 - the offroad style, aluminium, glass-pack - the FMF and the Akrapovic are LOUD. Louder than the EU-approved exhausts for the MZ.

If the stock can is not very restrictive - and apparently the Baghira's is not bad; no-one claims any major improvements with the aftermarket exhausts - then increased performance comes from an improved collector and headers - the length of the headers and the flow into the collector.

If an aftermarket exhaust puts a spike in the torque curve or the power curve, or even reduces the low to midrange slightly, it could feel like it goes better although there isn't a real improvement.

Apparently the stock exhaust weighs almost 20kg. Any aftermarket exhaust can reduce that by 10kg or more. That's significant; that could make it pick up quicker.

I think the GPR exhausts are well-made, they're apparently lighter than some Al ones (they're stainless), but they're the upswept type and I want one that fits nicely under the sidecover like the stock one.

I think the main thing is to get a good collector and connecting pipe made. The stock collector's not bad, but using it would mean the stock exhaust's pretty much trashed. I have a friend who can definitely do a better job than anyone else here, but getting him to do it is something else - it would be much simpler and quicker to just buy one of the aftermarket exhausts made for the bike, but I'm not sure any of them are really worth the expense - especially getting it shipped from Europe.
cat

Postby JT700 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:17 am

Pretty much all im looking for in an exhaust right now is something that will look better drop some weight and sound louder. Around here nobody really cares about loud exhaust we have guys riding around Harleys and choppers with open headers!!! I could always weld the slip on mid pipe onto the collector to deal with leaks.

Is the baggy header and collector good performance wise or should I look at having one made for me? I know some people that could make me a stainless setup. I couldnt really find anything aftermarket-wise so I was wondering.
JT700

Postby elric762 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:17 pm

How about the new Yamaha MT03? Perhaps someone Europe can shed some light on compatibility.
elric762

Next

Return to 660 cc