Hey MZ´ler, where'd you get those gorgeous gaitors!?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Hey MZ´ler, where'd you get those gorgeous gaitors!?

Postby irishnutjars » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:45 am

Hi MZ,ler,
Noticed your pic in the gallery- nice!!

Just wondering where you got those lovely fork gaitors or who makes them? I've been promising to put some on for ages but didnt think the plastic slide version offered enough winter protection and could'nt bring myself to put the old fashioned crinkly ones on!!

Thanks!!

Justin
irishnutjars

Postby CM » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:21 am

If you mean this pic
http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=149

I can tell you that these are normal universal fork-protectors. You can get them nearly everywhere ;)
CM

Postby irishnutjars » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:56 am

Thanks CM, but its these ones!: http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=148

I think they are noeprene from further searches on the web.

J

660 black panther
irishnutjars

Postby cat » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:22 pm

irishnutjars wrote:Thanks CM, but its these ones!: http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=148

I think they are noeprene from further searches on the web.

They're SealSavers - or the other ones that are similar - I forget the name, but they cost a bit more. Go to http://www.sealsavers.com
The long ones are $27, the short ones that just cover the seal / about an inch or 2 above are $20.

http://www.sealsavers.com/abi002/showpr ... =1&CATID=1

1 3/4 inch (44 - 50mm fork tube) black, blue, red, purple, orange, yellow, gray, green, silver

hey!, here you go: - might save you some bux:
The exclusive UK distributor of Sealsavers.
http://www.mxbits.com/
cat

Postby cat » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:25 pm

irishnutjars wrote:Thanks CM, but its these ones!: http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=148

Sorry, exhausts again. If mz'ler's listening, that's the only upswept exhaust I like - I'd like to know where the connector pipe came from. :? ?
cat

Postby irishnutjars » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:06 pm

Thanks cat- they're the ones!

Judge me not- attached is my dirty hoe in her winter best. Went over the mountain earlier and took a few snaps. I will finish cleaning more than the front wheel shortly!

I used connector pipe that came with the M4 silencer and a friend with a wielder! Mine looks a tad shorter which I thinks equals more grunt but less revs? Got Bernds header pipes and carb kit installed too.

Its not rust, its dirt!

j
Attachments
mzmountain2.jpg
mzmountain2.jpg (88.58 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
mzmountain1.jpg
Black Panther, cold winter, big mountain...
mzmountain1.jpg (100.84 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
irishnutjars

Postby CM » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:58 pm

Ah, you mean Heisi´s Baghi..... This connector pipe has he build ;)
CM

Postby Fil » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Love the upswept 'zorst mate! I've been meaning to modify my BSM pipe to do the same (but it's still on my list of things to do...)

Which mountain is that?
Fil

Postby irishnutjars » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:51 am

Thanks Fil, my friend deserves the credit though - he did the weilding/cutting; I just pointed and said there please!

Not sure of the exact mountain, its up behind a village called upper cwmtwrch, its possibly the black mountains/ brecon beacons in the distance. Some great supermoto lanes!

Couple more in my album: http://www.mzriders.com/album_personal.php
irishnutjars

Postby cat » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:10 pm

gotcha, more pictures.

i've been thinking - about xhausts - a lot - and i think maybe the upswept ones are better because the connector pipe is shorter, like the stock one. the stock goes straight to that lower..cat-like box, which adds volume right there ... the volume of the stock one is more - apparently, by the size of it at least - than any of the aftermarket ones. i'm not very impressed by any of the aftermarket ones. the stock one has to go, because it's so heavy, but i don't want to change the power curve ...and most of the aftermarket ones just don't fit so nicely anyway; they don't tuck up under the bulge of the sidecover. the GPR seems to - apparently / from what i've gathered - perform well, and the M4, but the GPR looks silly, it's way too long, and the M4 is made for the Mastiff and is too low. if i could just go buy one, i wouldn't worry so much, but i've got to deal with people by email and pay a fortune to get it shipped and then pay 10% duty + 14% VAT, so it's very expensive - too expensive for what they are. GPR wants 150 euros for shipping, and BSM wants 30 only but didn't reply when i asked what shipping method that was (like maybe it's surface mail that takes 3-4 months and then maybe doesn't arrive at all.) it probably wouldn't cost any more to buy an Akra slip-on for a KTM or something and get a connector made locally. at least it would be different.

anyway :) ..excuse the 'exhaust rant' /obsession. ...did your friend use pre-made bends or bend some tubing?

that does look like a nice place to ride. i don't suppose there're any goats or locals wandering into the road there either. ? :) the weather should have improved since those photos, too.
cat

Postby keithcross » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:20 pm

Try the Carbon Race Can Company in teh UK, they make a can that fits quite nicely. Gedge, who used to be on this site (now the owner of a Vertimatti, I ride with him sometimes) had one fitted.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby Fil » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 am

irishnutjars wrote:Not sure of the exact mountain, its up behind a village called upper cwmtwrch, its possibly the black mountains/ brecon beacons in the distance. Some great supermoto lanes!

There's a crackin' road that goes from the Heads of the Valleys road (A470?) near Tredegar (I think it's at Beaufort) over the top to Crickhowell (sp?). It's definately worth the trip :smt023
Fil

Postby irishnutjars » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:07 pm

cat wrote:anyway :) ...did your friend use pre-made bends or bend some tubing?

that does look like a nice place to ride. i don't suppose there're any goats or locals wandering into the road there either. ? :) the weather should have improved since those photos, too.

Cat

I think he had a little bend 'lying around' as you do. Didnt take him too long but he knows what he's doing! He may replicate it if there was a bit of interest.

Great fun roads- very few anything- a few sheep and the odd (odd!) cow. Good visibility on most corners tho (no hedges). The loose gravel and concrete tracks are my favourites, anything too mushy & muddy and things get very hairy!

The weather is now worse! Would easily trade a cold blue sky for a mild, grey, wet one! At least its getting lighter!

Fil

Will check it out its not too far from me. The 4069 from brynammen over to landovery is good especially the mountain section, good visability & some real corners! Theres more i havent been on yet, including Sarn Helen, a roman road but I think that involves crossing a river! I might leave that one!

Incedently I met another MZ'er with yellow baghira while I was out the other day on the outskirts of swansea- I'd seen him about but managed to catch his attention this time. He loves it too!
irishnutjars

Postby cat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:56 pm

irishnutjars wrote: I think he had a little bend 'lying around' as you do. Didnt take him too long but he knows what he's doing! He may replicate it if there was a bit of interest.

I may yet get interested - I'm straining my brain with the options, what I should do. But I've pretty much decided that I don't want a long connector pipe and the can sticking out way back - or halfway/nowhere like the M4 connector. Meanwhile - when you get enough light - and the time and so on - practise your close-up photography and please take a close-up of it. :D

irishnutjars wrote:Great fun roads- very few anything- a few sheep and the odd (odd!) cow. Good visibility on most corners tho (no hedges). The loose gravel and concrete tracks are my favourites, anything too mushy & muddy and things get very hairy!

The weather is now worse! Would easily trade a cold blue sky for a mild, grey, wet one! At least its getting lighter!

No sooner had I said that than I saw the photo with the cows. Odd, yes, I haven't seen one of those - in a picture - for years; I'd forgotten they existed. :shock: Visibility..hedges... one of my friends has a video of riding somewhere in Wales .. he strapped the camera to the bike somehow. Awesome! His friend was having his 50th birthday and his wife brought my friend over as a surprise for him, to wake him up in the morning. :D So they had to get insurance for him in a couple hours so he could go with them. The guy in front was on a Triumph Triple - awesome sound, and...it was just about all hedges, and narow. They'd have to almost stop when a car came the other way, and then roar off again.

Apparently the worst weather in years.
cat

Postby irishnutjars » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:17 pm

I may yet get interested - I'm straining my brain with the options, what I should do. But I've pretty much decided that I don't want a long connector pipe and the can sticking out way back - or halfway/nowhere like the M4 connector. Meanwhile - when you get enough light - and the time and so on - practise your close-up photography and please take a close-up of it

Hi Cat,
Some photos at last- hope they help. Go for it I say- Checking my memory and looking at the pipe again it looks like a realitively simple cut and shut job with the M4 set up.

I think the angle option is great personally, it really follows the lines of the bike and is a little change from the norm! I could'nt beleive my eyes when I fitted the standard M4- I thought someone was having a laugh at my expense!

From memory we put the exhaust in position and marked the pipe to cut it, then connected the cut off 2-1 section with the pipe on again; marked and cut, refitted tacked in place to wield up off the bike (me mostly pointing and bolting and unbolting!).

I wish I took a pic of the indicator after my journey home- talk about a mess- do remember to fit flush fit indicators or something before this stage!

One more shot of bike now with 'seal saver' type things attached which kinda brings us round the circle! Wish I'd got them ages ago!

Good luck!
Attachments
mzmountain.jpg
mzmountain.jpg (180.69 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
mz exhaust.jpg
mz exhaust.jpg (124.71 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
mz exhaust 1.jpg
Close up1
mz exhaust 1.jpg (105.4 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
irishnutjars

Next

Return to 660 cc