lowering options for the baghira

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

lowering options for the baghira

Postby alex1206 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:45 pm

hi
after reading all these posts about how the height reduced model has better street handaling i am questions how i can lower a regular height.

i believe the main option would be to switch out the forks and the shocks and understand this can be done for roughly 300 dollars.
how many inches will it shorten by if i go with this method? parts can be easily sourced?

the second option is switching out the rear spring. from my understanding that this is okay but will interefere with designed shock travel and may interfere with handaling?

im 5'9, 155 pounds, and i hear guys at 6' and above having troubles reading the ground with both feet. i dont want to have troubles walking pulling the bike in and out.

thanks ahead of time
alex
alex1206

Postby Garf » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:52 am

It is possibly a cheaper and ultimately better option to have your existing adjustable forks modified by a suspension tuner .....it is a common mod when running a crosser in supermoto trim. The standard MZ hieght reduced forks are not adjustable. The same option to modify may apply to the rear shock but I am not quite so sure about that.

Cheers
HR Black Panther
Garf

Postby phlat65 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:17 pm

replacing the spring in the rear shock is the wrong approach.

any good suspension shop can lower it properly, by making a spacer to limit the extended travel of both the shock and fork. the nice thing about this method, you end up with a HR with adjustable forks.

also, post here, maybe someone in your area wants to do the reverse, or maybe you could sample a HR before you proceed.

of note, a full height has 280mm travel front and rear, a HR has 190mm front and rear.
also, the baghira castor angle is 130mm, and steering angle is 28mm, the Mastiff castor angle is 73mm, and steering angle is 26mm

I seem to remember hearing that the HR uses the mastiff geometry, and I cinda think so, my bike in Full height trim does handle different than the street moto I took all the suspension from. hey Dave, are the frame and tripple tree PN's the same for street moto and the Black Panther and Mastiff?
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby keithcross » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:09 am

The triple tree are teh same. There are different part numbers in te cat, but there are applicable to all bikes, the only difference seems to be frame colour.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby phlat65 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:30 am

so how do they get the drasticly different geometry?
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby keithcross » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:50 am

I think by using shorter front forks the wheelbase is shortened, also ashorter rear shock will make the bike lower as well. Cant see any other reason for the change in geomerty. Both numbers are listed for all models, difference being the colour only as far as I can tell.
Maybe others can explain it.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby fasrnu » Fri May 26, 2006 4:26 pm

Garf wrote:It is possibly a cheaper and ultimately better option to have your existing adjustable forks modified by a suspension tuner .....it is a common mod when running a crosser in supermoto trim. The standard MZ hieght reduced forks are not adjustable. The same option to modify may apply to the rear shock but I am not quite so sure about that.

Cheers

I am planning to build a dogbone of a different length to lower the rear about 2 inches. I may just slide the forks up thru the trees a couple inches also. This has worked quite well for me on other bikes I have owned. A note of caution: this will make your off-roading a bit more difficult because of the suspension travel issue. I only occasionally ride off road and then only on fire trails. 90% of my riding is paved twisties.....Yeehah!!! YMMV :-D
fasrnu

Return to 660 cc