Raptor carbs (again)

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Postby DEmark » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:14 pm

I have the 2 x 35mm Keihin FCR carbs on my Baghira. They are equipped with an accellerator pump, when I work the throttle, a stream of fuel is squirted directly down the throat of the carb, is that what it looks like on your Mikunis?

I am happy with with the Keihins EXCEPT that the accellerator pump touches the exhaust pipe, I had to create a flat spot in the pipe to have some clearance. I would like to get the larger head pipes from Tunebike so the motor could breathe better, but the larger diameter pipes will probably interfere greater with the pump.

I'm thinking maybe I should have gone with the Mikunis, from the pictures I have seen of them, it doesnt look like they have a pump that will interfere with the exhaust.

Anyone got a Baghira with the large diameter headers and Keihin flatslides?
DEmark

Postby CM » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:18 am

@DEmark: Jep, it looks exactly how you discribe it! But I´ve no problems with the exhaust pipe. I have the bigger pipes and the carb don´t touch them.

Can you make a pic of the Keihins??
CM

Postby ZzerO » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:03 am

hi, i was wondering how much the fuel consumption increases after installing the keihin or mikuni carbs?

and how is it when you tune the engine a little?
ZzerO

Postby CM » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:45 pm

The consumption isn´t higher than with the original if you have installed the Tunebike kit.

When you tune the engine a little, you can turn the gas more softly, it isn´t so hard and abrupt like the mikunis on a normal engine.
CM

Postby keithcross » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:53 pm

One general rule of thumb for a given engine is that to get more power you need more gas. This is because the amount of power is propotional to the amount of fuel you can burn efficiently. Hence the more you open the throttle and the greater speed you go the less mpg you get.
It is possible to get more power for less gas if the engine is particularly inefficient to start with.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby DEmark » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:58 pm

CM, I posted pictures awhile ago, look at http://mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=698

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the gas mileage...
DEmark

Postby irishnutjars » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:15 pm

Well I'm game! I'm putting some cash aside for a pair of raptor carbs!

Theres quite a few on evilbay.com (America) and occasional engine bits (Kieth)- nice link by the way) I got a high compression standard piston also from raptor which I may get around to installing but if I go to that effort I may go the whole hog with a top end job too. Carbs look more realistic at the moment tho!

CM

I think i will try and get some more info at the German site. If you can find main jet sizes it would be appreciated. I wonder too how the cables link up and if there is much gain over tunebikes carb kit? Is an impulse carb good or bad!?

Thanks
irishnutjars

Postby CM » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:22 pm

uhh, that´s very narrow there but looks nice!!!

Seems that the Keihin is larger than the Mikuni....if you compare it...

CM

Postby basser23 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Irishnutjars,
Some of the Raptor carbs on ebay are already dynojet kitted..you'd be wise to change your exhaust system(if you haven't already) and possibly
a hotter cam.The "Hotcams" stage 1 should be a good all around grind.,
and the higher compression of your new piston should be a significant help
too.
Jet kits are very common over here in the States for the Raptor,and should work fine..keep us informed...I may be doing the exact same
if I decide to keep my Skorpion.( a Ducati Monster has my name on it)
Chip
basser23

Postby CM » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:36 pm

A impulse carb isn´t bad if he´s big enough....and the raptor carb is big enoug 8)

If you want, write a mail to "Baghipower" from the german forum, he´s driving an raptor carb.

Here is a link to the thread at mz-baghira.de (with pics)

KLICK HERE!!!!

You need a 155 jet on the left and a 160 on the right carb. Then she runs a little bit too fat, but if you want more exacter infos ask Baghipower.
CM

Postby basser23 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:18 am

CM,
Thanks for the link...if I only understood more German...damn..
I get the idea thorugh the pictures though...seems a good alternative
to expensive FCR's...
I'll try to have contact baghipower...you may inform him that I would be interested in this converstion, and dont speak the language,:) :)
danke
Chip
basser23

Postby CM » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:10 pm

I have mailed him that some english-speaking guys from mzriders.com are interested in his carb stuff ;)
CM

Postby basser23 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:27 pm

CM ,
Thanks for letting him know about us who only speak English

chip
basser23

Postby CM » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:54 pm

You can also write at the mz-baghira.de on english if you have questions.

Don´t be shy, we don´t bite :-D and some of us can talk english....not that stammering what I do :P
CM

Previous

Return to 660 cc