Baghira Tail

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baghira Tail

Postby dgunther » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:38 pm

I decided to fit an LED fender-taillight to my Baghira this afternoon. I think it's gonna look sweet! I decided that the stock signals are too large and aren't going to go back on, so it's off to the shop to get some smaller clear lens signals before I finish it up.

EDIT: finished it up. I think it looks pretty slick, and is actually more visible than the stock single bulb taillight.
Last edited by dgunther on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgunther

Postby kman.45 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:43 am

Nice, gotta be the Baja Design tail piece yeah? I just ordered that last week, so glad it looks that good.

BTW, what kind of rack is that?

kman
kman.45

Postby dgunther » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Yeah, it's a heavily modified Baja Designs LED universal fender and a pair of Motrax short stalk signals. I think it looks pretty slick now that I've got it finished. :D

I took several pics while I was making it, if you want to see the steps I took.
Last edited by dgunther on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dgunther

Postby dgunther » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:55 pm

kman.45 wrote:Nice, gotta be the Baja Design tail piece yeah? I just ordered that last week, so glad it looks that good.

BTW, what kind of rack is that?

kman

That's the Hepco and Becker rack with a mounting plate on it for a generic small topbox.
dgunther

Postby kman.45 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:01 pm

dgunther wrote:Yeah, it's a heavily modified Baja Designs LED universal fender and a pair of Motrax short stalk signals. I think it looks pretty slick now that I've got it finished. :D

I took several pics while I was making it, if you want to see the steps I took.

Sure, post pics or IM/email pics would be great. We must shop at the same store (Cycle Gear?), jeez I bought the same damn turn signals the other day.. :P
kman.45

Postby dgunther » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Before:

Remove the seat and unhook the 4 bullet connectors for the turn signals and the molex connector for the taillight

Remove the 2 bolts attaching the fender to the grab rails and lower bolt from the tail to the loop of the subframe to remove the tail

Stuck the whole Baja Designs fender in for a test fitting. Looks OK, but the concave part in the middle holds the top of the fender too high off the cross piece of the subframe. Modifications will be required to the tail, and a loop-ectomy is also in order.

Time to cut the Baja tail. I used a air-powered cutoff tool (like a huge dremel), but you could use a saw, or even a knife if you're careful and patient.

View from the underside of the new tail after modifcation (I ended up cutting the sides of the V shape about 1.5" shorter by the time I was finished)
Side view of tail - I cut the sides of the fender off until I was about .5 inches from the flat pieces where the signals will mount
Top view of Baja Tail (I still haven't shortened the sides of the V yet)

Time for some a tasty beverage

I removed the lower bolts from the rear fender and lifted it with a pair of leather gloves. Then I wrapped it in a wet towel to protect it from debris and sparks. It's loop-ectomy time...
Oh, I can't believe I took a cutoff tool to one of my bikes! :shock: I removed the loop and braces right on the welds. I'll get a brace welded in place just to be on the safe side.
Side view of test fit - you can see the loop laying on the ground
Close-up showing how the notches in the Baja Tail fit over the subframe now.
Rear view of test fit
Screwed in and ready to finish the wiring

I bought a set of Motrax turn signals to finish off the tail, as I felt the stockers were too big and bulky. The new signals cam with very short leads, so I opened up the old turn signals and found that the wires were attached to them with some very small spade terminals. I removed the wires and cut them about 1.5" below the spade terminals and joined them to the new signals. I could also have extended the leads from the new signals, but I could not find bullet connectors to plug into the bike wiring harness that fit tightly enough to make me happy.

Finished!
dgunther

Postby beamisinbtw » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:37 am

Very good job! I have been debating so many ideas with the tail, it so hard to find stuff when you cant see it in the flesh. Thanx for the step by step. I would be lost without this website! Im going to fit an Art deco led cat eye to that baja fender and see if i can get it to work. I have also been dreading the loop-ectomy but that thing has got to go! B
:twisted:
beamisinbtw

Postby cat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:13 am

Thanks dgunther! :D Photos always appreciated.

What's the red one in the background?
:-D
cat

Postby Fil » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:16 am

Excellent guide - I can see a trawl of the internet coming today to get one for my bike!

I did the 'loopectopy' on my bike a couple of years back but I didn't bother welding any extra bracing on. I figured that the cross brace that the grabrails bolt to should be enough...
Fil

Postby dgunther » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:32 am

cat wrote:Thanks dgunther! :D Photos always appreciated.

What's the red one in the background?
:-D

That's my baby - a 2001 VFR800 :smt049 - the last year with the gear driven cams. What a wonderful noise she makes!
dgunther

Postby cat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:40 am

dgunther wrote:That's my baby - a 2001 VFR800 :smt049 - the last year with the gear driven cams. What a wonderful noise she makes!

ahhh. bet you wouldn't cut it's tail off. ;-)

That sounds like a good idea - gear-driven cams. I'd forgotten about that. I don't know much about them, any of the current road bikes. I just know they're the v engines. So did they change the VFR to chain-driven? Why, I wonder.
Maybe that's why Ducati desmos sound so nice.
[/i]
cat

Postby kman.45 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:47 am

Excellent post! Got about 1/2 way into the same thing last night, going to take fender off though so I can fit mine in similar fashion. The B-D piece is really tidy little thing, and sturdy as hell, thicker than stock plastic.
kman.45

Postby keithcross » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:16 pm

I am going to have a go at cutting the loop off of my subframe soon. Got a spare one off of ebay just in case I change my mind :)

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby cat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:19 pm

keithcross wrote:I am going to have a go at cutting the loop off of my subframe soon. Got a spare one off of ebay just in case I change my mind :)

Keith

:o you and ebay! :D how much did it cost?
cat

Postby Fil » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:24 pm

[quote="cat So did they change the VFR to chain-driven? Why, I wonder.
Maybe that's why Ducati desmos sound so nice. [/quote]

I think the Ducati V-twins use cam belts running on the outside of the engine - kind of like a car.
Fil

Next

Return to 660 cc