Bike stands

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Bike stands

Postby friendfire » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:35 am

Bit of a stupid question, but i am looking for a stand for the sport so i can drop both wheels and forks, and have it at a reasonanble height to work on.

Seen some stands, but they seem to rely on the fact that the bikes have a frame low down and the lift supports the fram area, anyone got any suggestions? hope that makes sense?

Cheers
Mick
friendfire

Re: Bike stands

Postby dgunther » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:10 pm

friendfire wrote:Bit of a stupid question, but i am looking for a stand for the sport so i can drop both wheels and forks, and have it at a reasonanble height to work on.

Seen some stands, but they seem to rely on the fact that the bikes have a frame low down and the lift supports the fram area, anyone got any suggestions? hope that makes sense?

Cheers
Mick

Since the frame goes beneath the engine, a motorcycle/ATV jack is a good option. They lift the bike by the frame rails, so you can drop the forks, wheels, even the swingarm if you need to. Most will give you about 12-18" of lift depending on the model. Check Sears or a similar vendor.

If you don't want to use a jack, you may be able to use a stem stand on the front - instead of holding the front by the bottom of the forks, it puts a pin into the steering stem to lift the bike so you can drop the forks.
dgunther

Postby Sourcer » Wed May 03, 2006 5:34 pm

Just a question about the stand. Is there a main stand on the Baghira Black Panther?
Sourcer

Postby street_moto » Thu May 04, 2006 3:32 am

No main stand on the Black Panther, but I bought this stand off Ebay, £79 delivered, lifts to a decent height, both wheels off ground and you can manouvre the bike once lifted because it has wheels. It's steady enough to work on, but any tight nuts are loosened off before lifting, hope this helps. :wink:
Attachments
stand.jpg
stand.jpg (125.95 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
street_moto

same

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Thu May 04, 2006 9:59 am

i have a stand that looks the same in black and it works fine

but had to make a wood frame to fit it to bottom of both the
rt125 and saxon tour as they are not stable if just lifted with it
with out an adaptor :D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby cat » Thu May 04, 2006 10:20 am

street_moto wrote:It's steady enough to work on, but any tight nuts are loosened off before lifting, ...

I saw one a couple days ago that had a J-hook system that fastened the footpegs to the stand. I can't remember what it was but I'll find it and put pictures. I thought that it would be easy to weld brackets to a stand like yours and get J-hooks.

Get 2 J-hooks, hook them through the footpegs, and mark the side edges of the top of the stand where the brackets should be welded on, cut 2 pieces of flat steel about 20mm wide and long enough so they extend out under the J-hooks and mark them where the holes for the J-hooks should be drilled.
cat

Postby cat » Thu May 04, 2006 10:35 am

You can't see it properly here, but you get the idea. ...I think my description is better. I couldn't have seen it, I must have imagined it. :-)

They use some sort of loops on the stand instead of tabs.

http://bikestandlift.com

Expensive, and never mind the J-hooks, the whole thing would fall over. But the J-hooks are a good idea anyway, for other stands.
cat

Postby Sourcer » Thu May 04, 2006 12:21 pm

street_moto wrote:No main stand on the Black Panther, but I bought this stand off Ebay, £79 delivered, lifts to a decent height, both wheels off ground and you can manouvre the bike once lifted because it has wheels. It's steady enough to work on, but any tight nuts are loosened off before lifting, hope this helps. :wink:

Okey, thanks for the info.
Sourcer

Return to 660 cc