backfires and service

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Valve Adjustment

Postby cat » Tue May 09, 2006 1:22 am

yes! but it's not the reason it started backfiring - more - after the dealer adjusted the carb. "much much worse" let me spell it out to you - you are not going to sort out the wrongly adjusted carb by adjusting valve clearances - if they need it. and if he can't sort out the carb adjustment, then you going to trust him to check valve clearances. !?!!
cat

Postby Blathian » Tue May 09, 2006 3:08 pm

well im shit out of luck, he looked at the valves and they are fine, the plug was white so it was running lean, but he adjusted the screw for like an hour and it still sounds like shit, he cant get it to be like it was and doesnt beleive me when i say it didnt backire this bad before. gonna take it to a new mechanic i guess and see if they can fix it.
He said he would pay the bill if they can fix the mixture without rejeting...he said its the only solution......ARRRGGGGGHHH
im at my wits end...wish am MZER lived close by : (
Blathian

Postby Hoke » Wed May 10, 2006 1:29 am

If you dont "find" the problem, this may be the cause...
http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=1493&start=0
Hoke

Postby drj » Wed May 10, 2006 4:30 am

Blathian wrote:well its always backfired some when i put the M4 pipe on ...thanks guys

i just picked up an '03 with the SAME setup and the SAME symptoms...only i havent taken it to the dealer yet. she pops a little on the bottom (sometimes) - but otherwise she runs like a friggin' bull.

funny thing is - i was JUST about to start a post about that 'very' thing...hmmm.

i kinda thought that the pipe being as large as it is - might actually be 'leaning' the bike out just a bit...hmmmm.

i dunno - but for now - mine runs great (havent named her yet!)...the oil looks good...the tires are being replaced...and thats it.

hope that gets sorted out for ya' real soon.

drj
:-D
'03 Baghira (m4 pipe/black rims)
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
'00 XR400r (pumper/header/pipe/cam)
drj

Postby cat » Wed May 10, 2006 4:53 am

drj wrote:
Blathian wrote:well its always backfired some when i put the M4 pipe on ...thanks guys

i just picked up an '03 with the SAME setup and the SAME symptoms...only i havent taken it to the dealer yet. she pops a little on the bottom (sometimes) - but otherwise she runs like a friggin' bull.

funny thing is - i was JUST about to start a post about that 'very' thing...hmmm.

You just brought something to mind...
Someone said early on here, maybe check for leaks ...air leaks, making it too lean so causing backfiring. But we couldn't see how the mechanic changing the oil would somehow cause an air leak. What about exhaust leaks? Too much banging or bumping of the header pipes could possibly cause a leak at the exhaust port ...?
But here we're talking about aftermarket exhausts. Thumpers backfire and pop when there are exhaust leaks.
cat

Postby Blathian » Wed May 10, 2006 3:32 pm

SO is EVERYONE rejeting the carb after they put on an M4 Pipe??? there were a couple small leaks in the exhaust (black areas at the conections) so i tightend them, still backfires quite a bit on decel. otherwise the idle is back to normal after he adjusted, but said the ONLY way to stop the backfireing is rejetting...SHOULD I DO IT??? and if so what do you guys recommend
Blathian

Postby drj » Wed May 10, 2006 8:16 pm

now i wanna know too!!
:-D

drj
'03 Baghira (m4 pipe/black rims)
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
'00 XR400r (pumper/header/pipe/cam)
drj

Postby jimmyskint » Fri May 12, 2006 2:48 am

Very strange, I had exactly the same problem after my 6k service (Baghira 04). Idle was v low until warmed up then would idle too fast. Lots of back firing etc (which I quite liked at the time). Coped with it until the weather got colder then it was almost impossible to start. I took it back to the dealer and said I wasn't happy, thought it might be a vacuum leak after seeing advice on this board.

They had it for a couple of days, stripped it down to see what the problem was and managed to fix the issue. They reckoned they didn't know what was causing the problem but when I got it back it was like a different bike (so much better). Don't know if the dealer was lieing to me but seemed pretty trustworthy with everything else. I've done over 20k on the bike now and never seen the problem again. Really weird, the problem drove me insane but it was definitely caused by that service.

Sorry thats not more help, hope you can get is sorted.

Cheers
J
jimmyskint

Previous

Return to 660 cc