Replacement carburetor

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Replacement carburetor

Postby Sourcer » Mon May 08, 2006 6:30 pm

Mikuni TM34-B65 can be used with the 660cc engine.

Mikuni Single Carb Conversion Kit

http://www.holeshot.com/old/mz/mz_sc.html
Attachments
tm34-b65.jpg
tm34-b65.jpg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
mikuni1.jpg
mikuni1.jpg (109.85 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
mikuni2.jpg
mikuni2.jpg (125.32 KiB) Viewed 5670 times
Sourcer

Where did you get 'em...

Postby automagician » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi,
What else is needed besides, the carbs to make them fit?
New manifolds or what? Would very much like to know,
I've got an older Skorpion Sport so the air end of things probably differ but the cylinder head's the same.
And now, where did you come by the carbs? Abroad or locally?

Regards
automagician

Postby Hoke » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:37 am

I just installed these(kit from Tunebike) on my Baghirra Forest and there where a really tight fit...
It looks like You moved the oil and ventline -did you have to change them?
Last edited by Hoke on Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoke

Postby DEmark » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:00 am

How much did the carbs cost total? In the throat picture, are the brass fittings at 7 o clock the injector nozzles?
DEmark

Postby Hoke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:18 am

DEmark wrote:How much did the carbs cost total? In the throat picture, are the brass fittings at 7 o clock the injector nozzles?

We bought two sets of these carbs, and including delivery cost to Sweden from Tunebike/Germany we payed 913 Euro including the intake pipe needed on the left carb for the Baghira (same as the stock right).

I guess that the brass fittning is the injector from the accelerator pump.

Do you have these carbs DEmark?
I have a "stock" engine (slipon and opened intake) and is looking for jetting tips...

By the way, the stock oil/ventlining can be placed on the left side of the carbs ;-)
Hoke

Postby cat » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:39 am

Hoke, you must let us know how it goes. :) How did you / what did you have to do to make them fit? Don't tunebike give any information about jetting?
cat

Postby Hoke » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:34 am

My carbs are mounted and the only thing i had to do was:
1. Make the hole in the airbox for the left intake pipe bigger (used a Dremel with good result).
2. Get a larger clamp for the left intake pipe. I got longer screws for the stock ones to -it is easier to mount with these.

Bernt(Tunbebike) says that i will need a Hot Cams Stage 1 cam to get the carb to work (at least/cheapest way).

It will run "as is" (for me at least), but not at full throttle (then it will die and almost send you over the handelbars).
I got it to die a little softer/easier by moving up the right needle to the highest position and lowering the left max :lol: I think that it is running to lean at midrange now althow...

According to Bernt the carb setup where set at the leanest setting at delivery (i did not check them -when i thought that it was already jetted for my engine), the needles where in the middle position on both side (easy to change with the carbs mounted).
Hoke

Postby DEmark » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi Hoke,
I have the 35mm x 35mm Keihin FCR carbs on my bike, I like them except for the fact that the accellerator pump touches the exhaust header, I had to put a little flat spot in the pipe to accommadate it, fitting the larger diameter headers that Bernd sells is out of the question. If I had to do it over again, I would go with the Mikunis you got so I could get the larger dia headers too.

Your bike dying at full throttle indicates you are either too rich or too lean on the main jet. After trying several different main jets on my bike (I have a stock motor and a M4 can) I have settled on #140's. Sure, our carbs are different, but the main jet size sizes should be pretty close...
DEmark

Postby Hoke » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:06 am

Thanks DEmark! :D
I have dismounted the carbs now and the setup where #115 on the left and #120 on the right one. The pilot jets where #17.5.
I supposed that you had #140 on both, so now i am going change it to #140 and try (costs only 5$ for both :D )!
Hoke

Postby DEmark » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:18 pm

Let us know how you make out with it.....
DEmark

Postby Hoke » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:29 pm

Now i have tested the Baggy with the new set up off #140.
At full throttle (eg from 3/4 throttle) the bike died earlier, now it is just an little "pump" and then it goes all the way.
Problably it was way to lean before, i am going to change right jet to 142.5 or 145 just to try (but it runs ok now at full throttle). The needles are now in the middel position.
At 1/8-1/4 of throttle it still (off course) is a little shaky and hard to drive, it even misfires some times -the sparkplug looks ok althow(brown).
I have noticed that the headpipe is mutch hotter now, i can feel it on my leg.. So it is probably still lean somewhere in the range.
I wounder if the problems (starting is i a littel hard do) at the lower range could do with the camshaft -Bernt at Tunebike told me that the carbs would not work at all with the stock cam...

Hmm i never tried to tune a carb with an accpump -anything to think about there?

:D
Hoke

Postby Hoke » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:20 am

Now i recived the Hotcams cam Stage 1 from Yamaha of Troy on Ebay. 139$ with delivery fee to Sweden + 20euro for toll and Swedish tax :? It was delivered two(!) days after ordering!

I asked Topham for the setup with these carbs and stock Baghira engine wiht open airbox and slipon:
"We use this carb on the YFM660 ( the biggest main jets we use are 132,5 - with an open airbox )
We use a size 20 idle jet.
Needle jets: P-4
Ket needle: 9DZH5-50 clip 3"

The question now is what carbsetup should be used for the Stage 1 cam :lol:

Ps
The Hotcams really look like crap/"not worked on enuff" compared to the MegaCycle cams -just a hint. But they are ready for the autodecomp from start = good + they are cheeper..
Hoke

Postby cat » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:50 am

Hoke, I didn't work out that tax with the exchange rate - what % is that? Is it the import tax on auto parts?

Here they charge me 10%, then add the 14% VAT, + a handling charge of about e5.

My problem now is I want to get a Rukka jacket, which are expensive, but then they will add 30% tax for clothing and then 14% VAT, so.... I could live with the cost of the jacket itself, but.....wheeeewh.

Hoke wrote:The Hotcams really look like crap/"not worked on enuff" compared to the MegaCycle cams -just a hint. But they are ready for the autodecomp from start = good + they are cheeper..

That's not good, but I guess you know they work ok. You mean they don't look nicely machined? And the MegaCycle cam - you have to modify it for the autodecomp?
cat

Postby Hoke » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:38 am

Sorry.
Look here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-YAMA ... 0009309409
According to the papers (hmm should be less) the tariff rate/customs/toll is 4.7% here in Sweden (the delivery fee should be included) and after this they add %25 tax on the value and customs -the tax here in Sweden is called "moms". You have to pay both the customs and the tax.

Ex:
Produkt value (including delivery fee i think); $98 ("niceprice") converterd to local value = 717:- (":-" is swedish "kronor").
Customs: 4.70% = 717 * 0,047 = 33:-
Tax: 25% = [717+33] * 0.25 = 187:-

In the end you will have to pay customs and tax: 33 + 187 = 220:- (around 20 euro or 30$ ).

This is the new Hotcam(pic) and the Megacycles http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog.pdf
Hmm i do not remember what was up with the Megacyclekams and the autodecom.. My friend had one used X2 and one X4, at least the the X4 was not prepared for the autodecomp (they had to bore the cam to make the autodecomp to fit).

Here are some instructions for installing the camshaft:
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/instructions/ ... ctions.pdf
Attachments
Hotkammen.jpg
Hotcams Stage 1 660 Raptor...
Hotkammen.jpg (88.64 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
Hoke

Postby cat » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:56 am

:!: :shock: that cam is rough! ...the only cams i've seen are shiny, smooth. it looks like that one needs running-in for like 1000s of km.! but maybe i ..just have not seen so many cams. are you sure it is finished? :shock:

the MegaCycle... ahhh,crAp! WebMarshal - block large download (at work).

ohh, the tax. agh, i think it is only the americans that don't have this problem. we must just pay - if we got the money - and get what we want.

i was thinking maybe better if i go to Finland myself to buy Rukka stuff. it looks like the cost of shipping + tax etc would be like 40% of the cost of an air ticket. ! :o
cat

Return to 660 cc