Cylinder head knackered.............

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Postby keithcross » Sun May 14, 2006 8:57 am

whysub01 wrote:Did you get the head from Steve? Whatever, very glad you have it running now.

He did a motor for me whicjh is still sitting on the garage floor, and I have no time to swap them over.

Looking for a mechanic, preferably with knowledge of the Sport model or even the 660 motor to do the swap for me (nice bit of cash work) but can find anyone to do it? Can I buggery!

Why not do the work yourself. I swapped out an engine on my Bahira, real easy to do. The hardest bit was lifting the old motor out and lifting the new one in. Apart from that its all easy.
If you lived nearer I would do th eowrk for you. You could always bring the bike down to mine and we could do the swap in my workshop.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby DEmark » Sun May 14, 2006 5:58 pm

I got a question you could probably answer, is it possible to remove the head and cylinder off a baghira with the motor in the frame??
DEmark

Postby cat » Mon May 15, 2006 12:13 am

keithcross wrote:I have used a chemical for helping to remove compond type head gaskets which loosens carbon deposits. Its not to safe and must be used in a well ventilated area. Its called MEK (shortened name - Methel ethel ketone or something like it). It used to be used in the UK printing trade, but I dont think they use it anymore.
Keith

ketone, sounds like a nightmare. Were you ever in the printing trade?
cat

Postby keithcross » Mon May 15, 2006 3:30 am

Cat

No I have never been in teh printing trade, but a close friend was a print room manager :) I have been using this chemical for a few years now, and alsways use it in a well ventilated area. I used to have 2 imperial gallons of it, but am now down to my last 3/4 of a gallon. I also use Ethyel Alcohol for cleaning stubborn grease etc.

On the point of replacing theh cylinder head and barrel in the frame, it can be done in the Baggi. Not sure about other models though.

Keith
keithcross

Postby cat » Mon May 15, 2006 3:46 am

Wear gloves. The fumes are only half the story - solvents get in through the skin.

ethyl alcohol ...which one is that, the 'common name"? Not "surgical spirits" / rubbing alcohol? - which reminds me, I must get some more from the guys in Ops here (they clean mainframe tape heads with it, I think) ...it's like contact cleaner, doesn't leave any residue.

keithcross wrote:On the point of replacing the cylinder head and barrel in the frame, it can be done in the Baggi. Not sure about other models though.
Keith

Really?! :shock: By dropping the front of the engine? I thought it was bad enough gettting a spark plug spanner in.
cat

Postby keithcross » Mon May 15, 2006 10:16 am

Cat

I always try to wear gloves when handling chemicals. otherwise you can get into all sorts of problems.

I cant remember the site, there was alink from here a while ago (I think it was linked from teh USA MZ importer site) to a site showing pictures of a Baggi owner installing a big bore kit and FCR carbs. The pictures showed the work being done with the frame in the engine.
I will look tonight and se if I can find the link again.

Keith
keithcross

Postby whysub01 » Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

I used to run the TZ250 race bikes on a mix of Av Gas and Toluene (everyone did so at the time!). Mixing the Toluene with fuel in my garage one day, I spilt a little of the Toluene (which I think is a constituent of TNT-but I could be wrong, I’m no chemist) on my newly painted floor. It pickled up instantly, and across a large area considering it were only a few drops. Took months before the concrete floor would accept paint again.

Don’t play with chemicals kids!
Becoming A Track Day Addict. Baggi Well On The Way To Completion. Well, One DAy Closer................
whysub01

Postby keithcross » Mon May 15, 2006 12:46 pm

Cat

For a picture of an engine in the frame minus head a barrel please open this link.

http://www.mzriders.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=232

As you can see, all engine mounts in postion and even the rear chain is still connected :)

Keith
keithcross

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon May 15, 2006 6:06 pm

Its called MEK (shortened name - Methel ethel ketone

be careful with this stuff its hard on the eyes :smt018

and use outdoors with goggles
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby cat » Tue May 16, 2006 1:33 am

Thanks, Keith. I'm amazed.
cat

Postby cat » Tue May 16, 2006 1:55 am

Keith refers to his "workshop" and someone actually has a painted garage floor... I think one of these days we must have a "Show us your garage" thread. :-D I'm busy doing mine up now. Trying to sort out the old red sand/'bagging'/slapped-on sand-with-one-percent-cement problem, and filling holes ...so I can get to what I started out to do - paint it.
cat

Postby keithcross » Tue May 16, 2006 5:45 pm

Cat

Painted the floor years ago, then covered it with rubber matting :) Take a look at this link

http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/D ... m/DSCF0117

And a picture of the garage is here

http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/gallery/D ... m/DSCF0120

It a picture of my small 14 ft by 9 ft workshop, located next to my standard garage. Sorry about the mess its in, but it gets used quite a bit and it had been a busy couple of days. Before you ask, yes the tool boxes are all full. I spend some of my spare time working on Goldwings, mainly the 1500 model. I service them and carry out most repairs, even to the point of replecing gearbox parts (the 1500 models sometimes have a problem with the 4th/5th gear selector fork).
In addition to this I am the Technical Editor for the Gold Wing Owners Club of Great Britain (GWOCGB). See the bottom of the page on this link

http://www.gwocgb.co.uk/pages/committee.htm

If you look at the rest of the album, there are pictures of my other bikes (and the bikes owned by my 2 sons).

All for fun of course :D

Keith
keithcross

Previous

Return to 660 cc