MY NEW BAGGY!!

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MY NEW BAGGY!!

Postby drj » Fri May 12, 2006 1:35 pm

here she is...shes an '03 that had only 5600k on her (practically new) and she had hardly a mark on her!!
Attachments
GU2K5394-01.jpg
GU2K5394-01.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 4977 times
GU2K5393-01.jpg
GU2K5393-01.jpg (140.99 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
GU2K5392-01.jpg
GU2K5392-01.jpg (140.48 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
'03 Baghira (m4 pipe/black rims)
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
'00 XR400r (pumper/header/pipe/cam)
drj

Postby drj » Fri May 12, 2006 1:37 pm

id really like to know what you guys have done (if anything) about the vibration - lots and lots of vibration...i know that part of it will be just getting used to it...but there has to be a remedy to reduce it a bit...right?
:roll:

thanks

drj
:-D
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
drj

i need a few more things...

Postby drj » Fri May 12, 2006 3:10 pm

...so heres my christmas list of what im looking for...

1. rock guard (bash plate)
2. hand guards (with signals in them)
3. smaller taillight (trying to eliminate rear fender)
4. flushmounted rear signals
5. xtra light up front (maybe in place of OLD signals)
6. bigger tank (is this even a possibility)
7. fork brace (thats REALLY IMPORTANT)

...any suggestions?

thanks

drj
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
drj

Postby dgunther » Fri May 12, 2006 4:19 pm

Welcome! That's quite a sweet looking Baggi you've got there. I like the carbon M4 pipe with the black bodywork.

I know touratech makes a bash plate, but it's somewhat overpriced (like everything they make) and a bit on the ugly side. You might want to just ride down to your local HondaYamaKawaZuki dealer and see what bash plates they have and see if anything they have will fit (if you find something that fits and looks good, be sure and report back here - I want one too!)

I put Acerbis rally pro hand guards on my Baggi and like them a lot. One of the guys here has them with some flush mount signals mounted in them (I think he used the side flashers from a BMW 5 series) and they look very slick.

I've got a write up on how to fit a small LED tail and new turn signals here
http://www.mzriders.com/viewtopic.php?t=1460&highlight=baghira+tail if you're interested.

Aux lights should be easy to mount, if you don't mind making some brackets. Just make sure to keep the wattage in check so you don't overwhelm your stator.

I know someone got a KTM tank to sort-of fit, but it wasn't perfect. There is a company in Germany making a rally-style tank, but it's very expensive and looks nothing like stock. Probably best to just add an aux tank when you need it for longer rides. Longer rides, by the way, will probably require that something be done to your seat (unless you have a butt made of titanium)

No one makes a fork brace, but I don't know if it's really needed. If you want one, you'll probably have to get a one-off made for you.
dgunther

Postby drj » Fri May 12, 2006 4:47 pm

i saw one guy here who had a fork brace...i guess all i would need is to find one for a set of forks with the same diameter...(maybe)

and - no - my ass is NOT made of titanium...its kinda funny - the seat pushes you forward on the tank (which can be a good thing) but then it leaves you there...indefinitely.

i can only imagine the design meeting for that part..." hmmmm - letz zee shall we - if vee can make a seat dat forzes you to zit on your balz."

what were they thinking?

so...
1. the acerbis hand guards...(easy enough)
2. i can probably find a yamaha bash plate that fits (ill let you know)
(if not - my friend has a pretty nice shop and has already expressed an interest in fabbing up anything i cant find)
3. i can live without the larger tank - ill just carry an extra gallon or two when i finally get out in to the 'nowhere' (sigh)
4. aux lights - might just have to get the stator rewound (not in a rush on that one)
5. ive heard of something called the 'RUSSEL DAY LONG SEAT' - i have to have a look in to that one...

hows the vibration in the bars on your baggy - mine is hand numbing...im now looking in to some bar end weights (or will the hand guards take care of that?)

drj
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
drj

Postby dgunther » Fri May 12, 2006 6:00 pm

Thumpers have big vibrations, but they are not at a frequency that bothers my hands. I find the buzz of a high revving I4 to be bothersome, but the pulses of thumpers and twins don't bug me so much. I think that the Acerbis handguards helped somewhat, as did switching to a aluminum bar (the stock steel bars sucked).

One of our members (kman.45) just got his seat redone by Rich's Custom Seats - it looks like a top-notch job. Much nicer and sportier looking than the Russell and without the wait and hassle.

I think I know the fork brace you saw - it was made by a member here on his milling machine by hand. Without a CNC setup, I doubt he'd want to make even a small run of them by hand (and the price would be awfully high, I imagine)

I don't think you'll need to get your stator rewound unless you're looking to add some BIG lights up front. I've heard of people running heated vests without problems, so I'd say you'll likely be OK. Just hook up a volt meter and ride around for a bit after you put the lights on. Make sure you're not pulling the battery down, and you'll be good to go.
dgunther

Postby drj » Fri May 12, 2006 10:42 pm

thanks a bunch...

ill look in to RICHS CUSTOM SEATS...

i put a fork brace on my XR and it was like night and day on how the front felt and behaved...little part - big difference...ill keep working on it...and ill keep you posted. (i just remembered that a friend of mine happens to have a CNC machine...hmmmmm)

and with the lights - youre right - im not going for BIG lights - just a couple of smaller 'helper' lights for the deeeep dark nowhere...so it sounds like thats an easy fix.

thanks
drj
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
drj

Postby keithcross » Sat May 13, 2006 2:25 am

As far as extra lights go, I run 2 55 wat spot lamos wired up through a relay. They only come on with main beam and the bikes electrics seem to cope OK. I also use heated grips at teh same time.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby drj » Sat May 13, 2006 3:26 am

thanks.

sounds like less work for me...good deal!!

drj
:-)
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
drj

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat May 13, 2006 6:41 pm

did you have this one shipped from chicago area
if so how much did shipping cost ground or air ect.
ar dave

details so we know what we are getting into when we find a traveler :-D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

shipping

Postby drj » Sat May 13, 2006 8:58 pm

i shipped it with 'forward air.'
it took a medium sized crate to get it here (they have metal moto crates)
it cost about $600 and took about 5 days.

the bike arrived undamaged.
i had no complaints.

ive had her for 6 days now...and shes great.

thinking about new sprockets to get the highway miles up and rpms down.

she gets new tires on tuesday...and we'll take her out for a LONG ride next weekend...maybe the desert - maybe the forest. i dunno.

drj
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
drj

Postby dmon722000 » Tue May 16, 2006 12:56 am

The oldest trick in da book on killing vibration is to pump the h-bar tube FULL of silicone caulking (used in the bathroom/tile dept) in one end till is comes out the other. Wailt a few hours till it dries up and cut the excess off with a razor and vouila, reduced vibes!!! It deadens up the bar and thats a simple as it gets...
dmon722000

Postby drj » Tue May 16, 2006 5:07 am

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

if thats true - then thats awesome...
makes sense though.

maybe ill give it a try tomorrow - ill let you know...

drj
'01 XR650r (hotcam)
drj

Postby phlat65 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:31 am

I too run extra lights with no problems. 2 35 watters. and heated grips.

I don't find the vibrations on my bike excessive.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby dmon722000 » Tue May 16, 2006 10:17 am

Also, its not unheard of to pound the extra large lead fishing weights into the tube, a whole bunch of em' do the trick. I didnt mention it cause I havent found the vibes to be a nusance (ride a harley at any time?) Maybe you can check your gearing, if your riding a lot of highway then I would suggest gouing down 2 teeth on the reat sprocket. I altered the gearing and its a dream on the highway.... hope that helps you out.
dmon722000

Next

Return to 660 cc