Race Fuel

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Race Fuel

Postby beamisinbtw » Fri May 19, 2006 11:42 am

Hey Guys and Gals!
There is a a gas station in my area that offers 100 octane race fuel. I have tryin to talk myself into fillin up the baggy. Do you think it will make her overheat? Should i not do this? Cause i really want to! Thanx for all the previous assistance. I am also in the process of buying a seat from rich's custom seats(will post when pics avail.)should be real nice!

This is by far the coolest site in my fav tab! :twisted:
beamisinbtw

Postby dgunther » Fri May 19, 2006 12:02 pm

Higher octane fuel does not mean more power from a stock engine. High octane fuels are designed to run in high compression engines without detonation. So, if you haven't done any work to your engine that requires the use of race gas, any increase in acceleration or top speed is probably due to the lightness of your wallet after you fill up :lol:

If anything, you'll actually have LESS power on 100 octane fuel than on plain old regular pump gas, as the lower octane fuels have more potential energy per volumetric unit (provided that you do not have knock issues with the lower octane fuel).
dgunther

Postby Sourcer » Fri May 19, 2006 3:08 pm

What do you mean with regular pump gas? Unleaded fuel 95 (normal) octane?
Sourcer

Postby keithcross » Fri May 19, 2006 5:01 pm

I am not to sure on this, but I heard the baggi exhaust has a cat in it. If this is the case the 100 octane fule (which probabbly has lead in it) will take it out.
Other then that I agree with the post above.
Regular gas is what you describe

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby dgunther » Fri May 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Sourcer wrote:What do you mean with regular pump gas? Unleaded fuel 95 (normal) octane?

Yeah, your 95 octane is equal to our 85 octane unleaded. The US uses a different method for measuring octane than most of the rest of the world. The 100 octance race gas he asked about would be like 110-115 octane via your standard.

If you want to know more, check out RON versus MON octane measurement methods.
dgunther

Postby Sourcer » Fri May 19, 2006 5:31 pm

I think that every baghira sold in Europe after January 1st, 2004 has a catalytic converter.
Sourcer

Postby beamisinbtw » Fri May 19, 2006 6:29 pm

I swapped out the stock exhaust for an m4. so converter is probably gone.but i will resist the urge. Thanx
beamisinbtw

Postby keithcross » Fri May 19, 2006 6:31 pm

The thing to rmember is that the octane rating is a measure of how well a fuel will resisit detonation (often called knocking or pinking). It has no bearing on the amount of energy (and hence power) that the fuel contains.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby LWS66 » Fri May 19, 2006 10:59 pm

Don't forget that race "fuel" is blended to be consistant with a longer shelf life..and can be eliminated as a possible source of tuning/running problems...not to mention it burns cleaner and most important: it smells better than the raw nasty stench "gasoline"!!!! Also resists vapor lock/fuel boiling........
Everyone talks about "more power....more power". It's a higher quality fuel to begin with, and offers much more than just the ability to get all the power there is out of an engine...but for most street applications it is overkill. It is'nt called race fuel for nothing :shock:
LWS66

lets keep it real...

Postby dmon722000 » Sun May 21, 2006 7:41 am

Without an increase in compression, change in ignition, your pretty much throwing your money away. A stock 660 or even one that is jetted/piped its seems pretty un-realistic to throw the money into the gas tank (for the smell of it, tee hee). Imagining people lining up at the "Race gas" stand thinking its a podium. Dont get me wrong, race fuel has its place in the race world, but in a stock Panther.... come on now, lets get serious. And pass some real advise around. Remembering that fuel burn rate is a constant and the scurge of the BIG single cylinder bikes. Also, race prepared bikes are running compression ratios that are so high you have to use your toes to count that high. Detonition, not an issue. You would possibly have a better time adding Nitrous to your bike, now thats a smell worth spending money for. I'm not a fan of nitrous in stock/mild street bikes, but I would rather tell someone to get that than to put race fuel in a stock bike.
Hope no one is offended, but seriously
dmon722000

Return to 660 cc