End Can Retaining Straps

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

End Can Retaining Straps

Postby whysub01 » Mon May 29, 2006 2:24 am

These keep breaking in my Baggi. I bought a CarbonCanCo end can (superb, nice noise, noticeably better power, excellent build quality) but for some reason the straps holding the endcan to the mounting point do not last long. I've gone through two CCC ones, and four of unknown origin in the last 5,000kms.

Tried all sorts of rubber mounts (including Akropovic "top hat" rubbers), and spent a long time making sure everything is spot on square before tightening them up. Then checking again.

They have all fractured in the same place- the rear part of where the bolt goes through. It seems that if I had a thicker strap then it would last longer-not exactly curing the problem, but when they last no more than 1,000 kms each, anything that lasts longer is a bonus. For now.

Anyone know what the cure could be, or even who supplies thick retaining straps?
Becoming A Track Day Addict. Baggi Well On The Way To Completion. Well, One DAy Closer................
whysub01

Postby keithcross » Mon May 29, 2006 10:41 am

Not to sure if it will fit, but the strap on my BSM system is still OK after 3 years and about 40,000kms. Try Dave Silver as tahts were I got my system from.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby phlat65 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:21 pm

I just have a stainless strap style, been on for 2 years with out problems. but my can is carbon, and hollow, so it weighs nothing.

I set it up with a rubber strip around the can, then the strap, and shimmed between the 2 ends so it does not pinch very much. it does not need to clamp the can, only support its weight.
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Return to 660 cc