Upside down frontend

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Upside down frontend

Postby fasrnu » Tue May 30, 2006 11:06 am

Has anyone tried to fit an upside down frontend onto your Baghira? I don't need one but I want one to update the styling a bit.
fasrnu

Postby keithcross » Tue May 30, 2006 11:30 am

I havent done this to my baggi, but as the forks are teh same as early KTM forks, maybe a KTM USD front end would fit.

Keith
Last edited by keithcross on Tue May 30, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby roge-a-billy » Tue May 30, 2006 5:28 pm

getting the front to rear ride hight would be difficult but not impossible. not much out there as tall as a full hight baggi. Hight reduction model would be easier but would still need acurrate work carried out. Can be done and a lower well sorted bike can only be better. Had a look at Eddy Seals works 05 Husky and that was on the floor compared to my Baggi, dam sexy moto though :mrgreen:
Up to my knees in gin & hookers
roge-a-billy

Postby keithcross » Tue May 30, 2006 5:41 pm

I wouldent have thought getting long enough front forks would be a problem. The standard front forks on teh full height Baggi (Marzocchi Magnum 45) were used on several Motorcross and Motards like the early KTM 620 (I think). There fore I suspect more modern fornt forks for the likes of teh KYM640 would be long enough.
I am meeting with friends att he end of the month at a bike show. I will try to compare the lengths of the front forks on various bikes and post what I find.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby fasrnu » Tue May 30, 2006 5:42 pm

I have a YZ426 frontend and caliper that I may try some neck bearing wizardry with. That frontend has an EBC 320 rotor that will look pretty up to date also. Triple trees are TAG and are equipped with 1.125 diameter bar risers so I will be able to use a pro-taper handlebar. Wish me luck and if it works I will definitely post B4 and after pictures
fasrnu

Postby CM » Wed May 31, 2006 3:20 pm

A Marzocchi Shiver 45 don´t fit. The fork is too short.
CM

Postby fasrnu » Wed May 31, 2006 8:58 pm

roge-a-billy wrote:getting the front to rear ride hight would be difficult but not impossible. not much out there as tall as a full hight baggi. Hight reduction model would be easier but would still need acurrate work carried out. Can be done and a lower well sorted bike can only be better. Had a look at Eddy Seals works 05 Husky and that was on the floor compared to my Baggi, dam sexy moto though :mrgreen:

The Baghira frontend unladen measures 34.75 inches from the top of the fork leg to the center of the axle.

The YZ426 frontend laying on the bench measures 36.875 from the top of the fork leg to the center of the axle.

I am installing a set of adjustable bones to lower the rear 1.5 inches, so I need to shorten the YZ frontend 3.625 inches. I will let the Yamaha shop do that as I have no clue how to do it.
fasrnu

Postby cat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:22 am

fasrnu wrote:I am installing a set of adjustable bones to lower the rear 1.5 inches

:o who made them? / where'd you get them? / post photos. :-D

fasrnu wrote:..., so I need to shorten the YZ frontend 3.625 inches. I will let the Yamaha shop do that as I have no clue how to do it.

that's a big difference. you'd have the cut off the top of the fork tubes and rethread them, i suppose.
cat

Postby cat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:45 am

fasrnu wrote:I am installing a set of adjustable bones to lower the rear 1.5 inches

fasrnu wrote:..., so I need to shorten the YZ frontend 3.625 inches. I will let the Yamaha shop do that as I have no clue how to do it.

that's a big difference. you'd have the cut off the top of the fork tubes and rethread them, i suppose.

PS: Have you got the hole-to-hole distance for the stock bones? I want to know if they're the same 125mm as the Skorpion ones. corse meccanica http://www.corsemeccanica.com has Ti bones and suspension link parts for the Skorpion and we're trying to sort out which of the Skorpion parts will fit the Baghira.

cat

Postby roge-a-billy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:28 pm

I stand corrected always thought baggi was one of the tallest motos out there
Up to my knees in gin & hookers
roge-a-billy

Postby fasrnu » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:24 pm

cat wrote:

PS: Have you got the hole-to-hole distance for the stock bones? I want to know if they're the same 125mm as the Skorpion ones. corse meccanica http://www.corsemeccanica.com has Ti bones and suspension link parts for the Skorpion and we're trying to sort out which of the Skorpion parts will fit the Baghira.

The stock bones appear to be 120mm center to center. I am wiating for the new bones to arrive next week. I ordered them from soupy@macatawa.org They have a center piece that you turn for adjustment and lock it down with locking nuts. Imagine a turnbuckle and that is the basic design. I will post some pictures after they get here if I can figure out how to post pictures.
fasrnu

Postby Fil » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:07 am

I would have thought the biggest problem with putting USD forks on a Baggi would be finding or moddifing some tripple clamps to fit. Most manufacturers (and bike models) use different stem sizes, bearing sizes etc.
Fil

Postby fasrnu » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52 am

Fil wrote:I would have thought the biggest problem with putting USD forks on a Baggi would be finding or moddifing some tripple clamps to fit. Most manufacturers (and bike models) use different stem sizes, bearing sizes etc.

I am using the YZ triple trees and bearings. The Baggi neck bearings are 1 piece round roller type and have a 52mm outside diameter. The YZ neck bearings are the tapered roller and race type and also have a 52mm outside diameter. They fit like they made for it. So I am able to remove the entire Baggi fork, trees, and bearings then install the entire YZ frontend. I was surprised how easy it is.
fasrnu

Postby Fil » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:33 am

Wow!
How long would you have to spend trying different tripple clamps to get one that fits (or have to pay someone to modify a set to make them fit). Knowing that the Yamaha ones fit straight on will cetainly have me looking in the bike breakers for some now ;-)

Let us know how you get on.
Fil

Postby Garf » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:40 am

Fasrnu, this is very interesting. Please post pics and details of any problems / solutions encountered along the way ........... I love my Baggy as it is but would love to 'bling' it up with some USD's, brakes etc ......the wife is half coming around to me shelling out on a brake upgrade but I may just hang fire and see how you get on first because if i did it it would obviously change what i needed.

Cheers
HR Black Panther
Garf

Next

Return to 660 cc