Sprocket bolts & Washers for 1996 Skorpion Tour?

Black Panther/Street Moto, Baghira, Enduro, Mastiff, Skorpion Traveller and Tour.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Sprocket bolts & Washers for 1996 Skorpion Tour?

Postby Freshy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:11 pm

Maybe someone can give me a little advice.

Yesterday I was inspecting my rear tire (which is due for a replace) when I noticed one of my sprocket bolts was grazing my swingarm as I spun the wheel by hand. I start poking around and to my shock that bolt, along with two others are pretty loose. Lucky for me the bolts didn't shear off while I was riding down the road. Would have been a hard way to learn to check the bolts more routinely.

Anyway, I took the bolts and washers off and ran down to my local Lowes hardware store and tried searching out the right size. I found what I think is the correct bolt( M8 X 1.25 x30) but I have no clue as to where to find the style of washers that are on it. Anyone know if I can use a lock washer for each of the five bolts and put some blue loctite in there to seal them up, or is that a bad idea? Maybe I need to order the parts from someplace special? This is my first bike and I want to make sure to do the right thing. Also, I noticed that there is a good amount of grime in the holes where the bolts go. I was going to use a pipe cleaner and kerosine to clean them out, so hopefully the bolts won't loosen anymore. Does this sound like a good order of operation?

I really want to fix my girl up and get her back on the road and this is the place to come to in order to get answers. Down here in Orlando, FL when I call a shop to ask questions about my MZ no one seems to have a clue.
:roll:
1996 Skorpian Tour
Freshy

parts

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:06 pm

show the washers to a parts guy at a mercedes car dealer

or vw maybe and do use loctite but not the perment type
so you can get it off later :D
AND CHECK THE RUBBER CUSHION DRIVE IN THE WHEEL HUB ITS 10 YEARS OLD AND MAY BE SHOT ALSO

QUOTE when I call a shop to ask questions about my MZ no one seems to have a clue.

your lucky where i live none of the shops have a clue even about the
bikes they sell because 95% of there sales is 4 wheelers :-D
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Sporocket bolts and washers

Postby Chayanne » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:48 pm

Dis you know how to mount this bolts and washers to avoid the excesive damage of those. My Bike frequently broke this bolts...

Skorpion Tour 2002 660cc
Chayanne
Chayanne

broke

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:05 pm

big single engines break lots of stuff
friend has a chopper using half a harley motor 998cc single
and he seems to break all kinds of stiff one of these days it will be his leg from kick starting the beast:)
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Chris Hunsicker » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:05 pm

Freshy, This is a common problem on the Skorpion. Despite me knowing about it, and having taken precautions, one of my sprocket bolts backed out while on the racetrack and sheared off. As you know, this can end badly.

To fix, clean sproket bolts well with Brakekleen, and use a nylon lock washer. Use lock tite. Remember, nylon lock washers can not be reused.

If you want to have even more peace of mind, you can safety wire each bolt to the sprocket. You can get an idea of this here, althogh be forwarned its a big photo:

http://tinyurl.com/n45ha

When using loctite, it's really important to get all oil and grease off the threads. Kerosene is cheap but not up to the task for cleaning bolts and nuts before loctiting. Not sure how much dirt you are talking about, but it can't be helping! 8)
Chris Hunsicker

Return to 660 cc